How to sneak a new rifle in the house

Discussion in 'The Counter' started by iamscottasus, Aug 7, 2017.

1. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    I need to get schooled on the various ways to smuggle new toys past the dreaded gatekeeper who will ask, "how much did that cost?" Followed by "How many guns do you have?" Followed by, "We are supposed to be saving for_________!!!"

2. lklawson

lklawson Well-Known Member Supporter

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    Don't.

Unless you are buying using your own private "hobby money" then don't hide it. If you are, then you don't need to justify it.

I recommend that you and the Gatekeeper sit down and agree on a hobby budget for you to spend on toys and your personal entertainment. Then stick with it.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    That's what I do...at my bank I have 2 "savings accounts" ...each account gets so much deposited each month...automatically. One is for motorcycle related stuff (tires, chrome goodies, insurance, leathers....etc.) The amount I put in here was negotiated with the Gatekeeper and can be added to from household accounts as needed. Can be spent by me as needed, no questions asked, for the stated reasons only...bike stuff. Can also be used for household emergencies, or vacations and such. As needed. This account is named "Bike Stuff."

The second account came about thru a disagreement with the Gatekeeper. I put my danged foot down. I put "X" amount in each month...automatically, and I let it set and add up until I want/need something...whatever toy it may be. I decide. The Gatekeeper can NOT over rule....accept to oversee that no "extra" was accidentally deposited. It doesn't matter if she had no idea how much had added up into this account. (her attempt at putting her foot down.) This account is named "Rick's Toy Money." Cannot be used by Gatekeeper. It's mine and only mine. Unless I go soft in the head for some reason (like grandbabies.)

These accounts may be combined, towards purchase of new bike as needed.

850sub, dawghowse, JR37 and 1 other person like this.
  4. VegasSub2K

VegasSub2K Active Member

Feb 11, 2016
    That is a great plan. I put away a little each month for my toys as well. Anything out of the general fund has to be approved by both of us, other than the usual bills.

iamscottasus likes this.
  5. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Orygun
    Don't have a Gatekeeper. If you have one now, get rid of them or mend their ways.

6. haertig

haertig Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    I wouldn't even make it to the front door to be questioned by my gatekeeper. In our family, finances are combined. And if we spend more than $100 on a credit card, the "security features" send a text message to my wife's cellphone to make sure we know immediately if there was some fraud. I'm afraid I wouldn't even make it out the front of the store without being ratted on by the bank.

But in my case, my gatekeeper loves guns too and has no issue. Even encouraging me to buy the guns I am drooling over when I am questioning my need.

7. iamscottasus

Feb 21, 2014
    Ive been defrauded a few times so I have $1.00 alert. You got a cool gate keeper.

8. iamscottasus

Feb 21, 2014
    Yep. I thought I had secrets with wife #1. That's why she's #1.

9. terry_tr6

terry_tr6 Active Member

Jan 28, 2015
    grant valkaria, Fla
    Take 3 or 4 guns to the range but bring back 4 or 5. Works for new fishing rods too.

jimbo_jwc, 850sub, phideaux and 3 others like this.
  10. BlakeHanson

BlakeHanson Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
    Brilliant!!!

CyberScoper and iamscottasus like this.
  11. phideaux

phideaux Fido for short Supporter

Feb 8, 2011
    West Ky
    I personally know a few guys here, that have come to Ky, with , oh, lets say 25 guns, or so, and have gone home with, oh lets say 26 to 30 , :spot::cool:

Who's counting ?:rolleyes:

Jim

12. AndrewK

AndrewK Member

Feb 8, 2017
    Phoenix
    Yeah - I think the trick here is getting my wife onboard with guns - even a fraction. She's gone shooting with me but doesn't like it. There's no way you can justify buying guns in that scenario. I just visit my FFL when she's off spending money.

iamscottasus likes this.
  13. mtn_chef

mtn_chef Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    nc mountains
    I've several of the same color soft nylon gun cases. Leave that card board box at the store, or at work (we're gun friendly there, safe in the office etc..) bring it home in the same bag she seen a coupe of hundred times. This worked until my favorite gun store stopped selling these cases.
    I've been doing a lot of buying and selling, upgrading or just finding things; this past two years... Moving stuff out of my collection, and making PROFIT off my collection. I've been trying real hard to observe a night club policy, one in- one out. Once you turn that piece that you enjoyed and shot until you you upgraded to a better piece, into some cash.... My gun money sit's safe and when X happens and you hand the gatekeeper X amount of cash and tell her, hey this is what I made from selling X. A lot of those grips go away. My gatekeeper found my brand new sub2k and didn't bat an eye recently...conditioning.

850sub and iamscottasus like this.
  14. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Orygun
    Seems like you did things out of order. Next time put her through the range trip litmus test early.

MtnChef has it right. Get them conditioned to it early.

Mine recently was watching the news and turned to ask me "Do we have enough guns and ammo ?"

Why, no, dear. No, we do not.

850sub, iamscottasus and mtn_chef like this.
  15. mtn_chef

mtn_chef Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    nc mountains
    oh yeah it helps if you buy them one or two also...

16. CyberScoper

CyberScoper Grand Poobah Supporter

Aug 13, 2013
    near San Antonio
    Sweetie thought RFBs and Sub2Ks looked like toy guns. I hope she doesn't sell them for what she thinks I paid.

17. iamscottasus

Feb 21, 2014
    i
    Did that download_20150103_205933.jpeg
    download_20141125_214805.jpeg
    BCM complete lightweight mid. upper, Spikes lower, Cavalry Mfg. stocks, Outdoor Connection sling, Blackhawk offset safety, YHM E-Z pull pin, Odin Works mag release, MILSPEC trigger, H buffer

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    BlakeHanson likes this.
  18. 775Patriot

775Patriot Member

Aug 7, 2017
    I enter the house through the garage quickly stopping by the safe for a quick drop off. Then if questioned later, it goes like this- " What? This one?? (Shake head in disappointment) I've had this gun forever now"

Not guaranteed to work every time or for everyone...

19. JR37

JR37 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Just like the dress that she has had for years.

850sub, 775Patriot and terry_tr6 like this.
  20. AndrewK

AndrewK Member

Feb 8, 2017
    Phoenix
    EXACTLY!!! Or those shoes... That's what I meant by off spending money in my earlier post. Oh well - I'm 400+ guns and counting and 300K rounds of ammo so I'd say the method is working. I do get the occasional "is that one new" question and reply with the about the same response as the others. The only thing that's come back to bite me is the receipts left in boxes. I tend to save all that stuff and eventually I get the look when she reads the receipt. I can honestly say I haven't lost money on guns and have sold many I decided I didn't like. I collect mostly with over $40K hanging on the wall in my office alone.

Too funny - this post cracked me up when I read it and I'm glad I'm not the only one sneaking guns in... :-/

775Patriot and iamscottasus like this.