How to keep the slide open ?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jfl, Jan 3, 2010.

1. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Somewhere, but where, I read about a trick to keep the slide open on the P3AT.

Any ideas, or have I been dreamin' ?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    A bic lighter
    or
    modify the magazine follower
    or
    modify the frame and add slide catch?

3. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.
    I made a wooden MAG. to keep the slide open.
    That way I can use a snake to clean the barrel.
    With out disasemling.
    Charlie.

4. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Very clever !!!
    I guess you stick the lighter in the ejection port ?

5. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    It's easier to disassemble and clean, IMO. Come to think of it, I find it just as easy to disassemble all my handguns than it is to try and clean them while still assembled.

6. litenlarry

litenlarry Member

Sep 4, 2007
    MO, south of KC..
    Go to Home Depot or such, get 2 paint stir sticks (free)..Glue the 2 together..cut to length if you want...Insert in the mag well , just enough to hold the slide back..Boresnake away... ;)

7. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    The thing is, if the bore is dirty enough to need cleaning, the rest of the gun is too.
    The slide rail lube will be dry and/or dirty as well.

Take the slide off and clean the dang thing, then apply new lube to all the friction points.

To do less is a waste of your time!
    (If you want a dependable SD gun.)

rc

8. litenlarry

litenlarry Member

Sep 4, 2007
    MO, south of KC..
    Not alway's does a pistol need the deep clean...For the times you shoot a mag thru it and intend to put it up but would like to run a boresnake thru the bbl a few times, this does the trick for me..As I mentioned earlier, no cost and the 2 paint stick stirrer's glued together are almost mag size...
    Don't like it? Don't use it...
    I enjoy the last rd slide hold open on my P32, just to run a boresnake down the bbl every so often and this enables me to do the same with the P3AT..

[​IMG]

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    +1 RC

i'll go even farther and make a confession. i have never really cleaned my bore (just wipe it and the chamber out). the soot and abrasives on the frame is what i worry about.

10. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    KT handguns are VERY susceptible to dirt and grime. Even one mag through is enough to cause reliability issues. In addition, the frame is aluminum and the slide steel; the paste that is made with oil and powder residue will gall the aluminum frame shortening the life of the gun. :'( KT's run better with clean grease and oil. Just because the gun is on the cheap doesn't mean it's a cheap gun or disposable---no Saturday Night Special here.

My P3AT has never jammed. I keep it clean and well lubed. The surefire way to make it jam would be to not thoroughly clean it ever time I shoot it. Powder and primers may not be corrosive anymore but powder fouling is still a wear agent. If you love your guns, you'll keep them clean and freshly lubed.

11. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I agree with RC and the Preacher, as usual...

But I can see using that method at the range. If your done shooting and might not clean the gun right when you get home. Or if you shooting several hundred rounds at a time and want to freshen the barrel.

Come to think of I need to clean my duty gun, I shot a mag or two for qualification and haven't gotten to it yet. :-[

CJ

12. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now this was to hold the slide back to remove the assembly pin.  As easy as it is to take apart this thing and as dirty as they shoot why not field strip to Snake the barrel.

JMO of course.

;)

13. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    +1 RAT76
    hard to see ,but there is a blk bic in the port here;
    [​IMG]
    BTW folks ,remember to support the grip when ya remove that assembly pin. It'll save ya a lot of grief...

14. litenlarry

litenlarry Member

Sep 4, 2007
    MO, south of KC..
    Bic lighter keeps the slide open, but my stick method allow's access to the bore... ::)

15. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Thanks, guys !!!

It is the lighter trick that I (vaguely) remember.

Totally agree that it is easy to field strip to clean it.

I was just looking for an easy way to keep the slide open if I want to show the gun to somebody; makes both of us feel safer; after all, a gun is always loaded, isn't it. Had guns for 60 years no AD/ND, knock on wood.

16. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    +1 to disassembling to clean everytime. It really doesn't take that much more time. If your 3at is used for SD then it is worth disassembling and cleaning and relubing all. I do wish the 3at had a slide open lever but one of those sacrifices you make for a gun this small.

BTW cool trick with the lighter and the home depot stick. I'll have to remember that.

Would it make sense to have the magazine stay open by inserting something in the bottom of the magazine follower (I think that is what it is called)that gets "squeezed" and keeps the mag open?