Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It took about 2 months. I started the first part of December 2020.

Trigw

·
Registered
6 Posts
It took about 2 months. I started the first part of December 2020.

Trigw
I live literally less than 20 miles from where they are made. I've had one on order through a distributor that is physically between KTEC and my house. The distributor is a police supplier, and has multiple locations, and I've had it on order for at least 4 months. They (the distributor) has zero pull on getting it from KTEC. I've been told there are no plans to expand the mfgr capability. Also they only do models in batches. No ETA on order. Will be primarily EDC for Mrs based on weight/profile/trigger pull. Currently my EDC is 38 J-frame. Less stopping power but can put more lead downrange. Pretty sure I'll carry it as a #2 if I'm out on my own.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Titus...,
Primary use will be home protection for my wife, who doesn't want a shotgun and she says my 9mm (duty size) is too big (weight, recoil, ...). She held the P17 and likes it and wants to try in a week or 2 when she has some work time-off.
I found an FFL (from local gun forum) with a home based business that is 35 miles from me. He said he received one about 3 weeks ago and sold it the same day. He has had more on order but that it could take time for the others to arrive. I didn't ask where the one I bought came from.

Trigw

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sensing a common theme here. Since Mrs. Metric examined the P17, I have standing orders to pick up another at first opportunity, provided that I don't over-pay. She doesn't EDC or shoot a whole lot, but she likes having quick access to her personal .22, just in case. I stand to gain the vintage Colt Huntsman she will no longer use, after the P17 is proven to be accurate and reliable in her hands. She likes the firepower advantage, light weight, and concealability of the KT.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Tried a 20 gauge home protection (short w/pistol grip) with the wife but that got negative results. She wants something small/light for a bedroom handgun safe.
I liked 20 gauge. Used a 20 gauge Browning A5 for years and had great results with clays, pheasant and duck. It's not much smaller overall than the 12 gauge though. The P17 will be a great solution.
Wife will need training on handgun safety as well as drills such as double trouble, stove pipe and squib. Lot's of clear, tap and rack...

Trigw

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same story here. She actually owns a premium-grade 9mm, and is a pretty good shot, but has refused to shoot anything but .22LR for the past five years (doesn't like blast and recoil). She really has no interest in guns, apart from having her .22 pistol handy, and wanting the kids to learn. I was really kinda shocked when she took such a liking to the P17 that she wanted to replace the Colt. She did light up and say something about "a perfect example disruptive innovation" (she's been studying for her MBA) -- hey, I'll take what I can get.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
metric,
Sounds very familiar. My wife is the same way. Limited firearm weight and light/zero recoil.
She also likes the P17 so far. We haven't fired it yet though.

Trigw

·
Registered
152 Posts
Interesting thread. I bought 2 P17s at Sportsmans Warehouse last year. Wish I'd bought two more. Been looking ever since. One was used by my wife for home defense. It replaced a Ruger SR22. Eventually I replaced it with a S&W EZ380. It was the only centerfire pistol my wife likes to shoot. Good luck trying to find one of those as well. I now use the P17 in pistol classes I teach. Like I said, I wish I had two or three more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Been buying firearms for many years. Never seen this kind of market. Strange to me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It has been a very strange year for finding guns. Then to make it worse the wait for a Colorado nics has been running 2 days to more than 2 weeks. Took me about a year to get a p17. Glad to have it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would like to buy one, too. But I can wait awhile for the frenzy to subside. One of the better places to get a Kel-tec was my local Rural King. However, they are going to stop stocking firearms in their stores- mail order and ship to store now for everything.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Seems to be a pattern of retailers dropping firearm sales: Dick's, Walmart, others.
The desire to appear of doing the right thing...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would like to buy one, too. But I can wait awhile for the frenzy to subside. One of the better places to get a Kel-tec was my local Rural King. However, they are going to stop stocking firearms in their stores- mail order and ship to store now for everything.
Are they really going to stop in store sales? I read the email to mean they were only stopping shipments and FFL transfers from other sellers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Are they really going to stop in store sales? I read the email to mean they were only stopping shipments and FFL transfers from other sellers.

View attachment 54857
I honestly think that is a couple things.
1. They have learned that the place they THOUGHT it would sell hasn't been. So on line allows everyone to get a chance.
2. They remove the hassle if shipping to a store only to send it somewhere else.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You either just need to keep looking or find a lgs that will put in an order with their distributor... took mine 2 weeks to get one in. He only got 2, but 1 had my name on it.
And lgs that says they cannot do it, is lying to you. So find a good one, even if you have to travel a wee bit...
You are so absolutely and unequivocally full of crap on that remark it boggles the mind. Are YOU an FFL dealer? Or do you just sit in your mommies basement and proclaim BS like that all day?
(Asking for a friend...)

·
Administrator
32,080 Posts
You are so absolutely and unequivocally full of crap on that remark it boggles the mind. Are YOU an FFL dealer? Or do you just sit in your mommies basement and proclaim BS like that all day?
(Asking for a friend...)
OMVHamlin -

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the post by the member you have name-called and harshly criticized. He simply offered advice that may or may not have worked for you. I don`t know what forums you are accustomed to but we don`t act like that on ktog. I assumed you were some rude newbie and clicked on your profile to ban you. Then I saw you've been here several years, far long enough to know better. Read the forum rules.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Kel-Tec Forum mobile app

21 - 40 of 47 Posts