Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I would like to get a P17. I’ve been to my LGS (Local Gun Stores), Big Box retailers (Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, …) and on-line retailers (Buds, Palmetto, …) but nobody has them or knows how to get one.

I’ve asked to have one ordered and been told no.

Anybody have recommendations besides going to Gun Broker ($300+)? I want this to be a low cost training firearm. I am willing to pay MSRP or even MSRP + 10%. Paying more than that doesn’t make sense since there are known other excellent firearms for that price.

Anybody?

Trigw

·
Super Moderator
10,023 Posts
I wish I had a suggestion. I've been updating the Bud's web page a few times a day for months. Never seen it this bad. I'm morally opposed to paying GunBroker scalper prices. Hopefully, someone will have a suggestion that helps us both.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You either just need to keep looking or find a lgs that will put in an order with their distributor... took mine 2 weeks to get one in. He only got 2, but 1 had my name on it.
And lgs that says they cannot do it, is lying to you. So find a good one, even if you have to travel a wee bit...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I expanded my search and called the next 5 closest LGS. I was able to talk to somebody at 4 of them.
All said the same thing "we are not taking special orders at this time". Sigh... not giving up yet.

Trigw

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just ask them to put you name on one for when they get some. Probably the closest you'll get to "ordering" one. But it's better than hoping they don't sell out before you can get there...

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
I expanded my search and called the next 5 closest LGS. I was able to talk to somebody at 4 of them.
All said the same thing "we are not taking special orders at this time". Sigh... not giving up yet.

Trigw
"At this time" is the key. They normally can and do. But these are extraordinary social and political circumstances. They're not going to take "special orders." They're just ordering everything they can get and selling it right away. Last time I was in my favorite LGSs, they had practically no "entry level" guns. I was kinda shocked that they had guns at all, to be honest. They were down to maybe 25% of their normal stock. Even the Sigs were sparce. They had several Nighthawk Custom's though. :D

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
21 Posts
A couple weeks ago, I was able to pick up one locally at MSRP + 25% (i.e. $250). But it wasn't an issue of price, really -- there were exactly two anywhere in the area, and now there are zero.

If you can find any other gun that is even in the same ballpark as the P17 for the MSRP + 10% you cite ($220), you should definitely jump on it immediately, while the getting is good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree. These are over 10rd. capacity weapons. If the tax on hi-caps goes through, and there's nothing to stop it now, I'd grab one anyway you could, if you want one.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I'd grab one anyway you could, if you want one.
And that's what I did quite recently. Procrastinated back when I could have got one for less. But still wanted one and paid the piper. No regrets and lesson learned.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I searched for months before finally getting lucky in the middle of the night online at Sportsmans warehouse. Had to drive a couple hours to pick it up. Wish I would have bought 2 when I had them in my cart but decided not to get greedy.

I was really hoping that they would start to show up, but despite what others are saying about seeing them, my experience is they have remained scarce.

Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I emailed Kel Tec for suggestions on getting a P17. The Customer Support person responded with "go to Gallery of Guns (GoG)".

Response to my request below from the "Largest Gun Seller in the State", a Davidson's affiliate. Common theme. Not taking orders. Called nearly every Gun Store within 35 miles.
Never had such a hard time becoming a customer...

Trigw

=============================================================================
Response:
"If it is available on our website xxxxxxxx you can order the item there. We are not doing any in-store special orders at this time."

==============================================================================
Subject: Order for Kel Tec...

Hello,

I would like to order a Kel-Tec P17. Davidsons GoG says to contact xxxxxxx.
Can't get through on any of the xxxxxxxx telephone numbers.
How do I go about placing an order?

Thank You,

===============================================================================

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: No progress on locating a P17. Had a lead for one at Wilcox Pawn in Colorado but it sold locally. Was a long shot since it would have to ship to my FFL, not compelling for seller if it can be sold locally without the work to ship and transfer.
Also, had an email correspondence with Customer Care at Kel Tec. The person was sympathetic to my desire to purchase a P17. Communicated that they are working 3 shifts in fabrication and 2 shifts in final assembly.
They ship to distributors and can't control me getting a chance at one.

With no retailers/shops taking orders, it becomes very difficult and time consuming.

Thanks for the Suggestions/Help so far...

Trigw

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with others to find someone nearby that will put you on a list, and some LGS' do call a distributor with customer requests. Had a friend do it in December.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I used this app and scored one for $200 from Midway.

Handy enought that I paid for the app.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Web Alert is a good strategy and I've started to use it myself. Unfortunately, I foresee an arms race (no pun intended) to apps that will not only detect availability but also place an actual order for you the moment it becomes possible. Then, if you don't have the app, you simply have zero chance of getting any kind of product in short supply -- they will always vanish within a few minutes of availability.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea! I posted a WTB (Want to Buy) to the local firearms forum and got an immediate response.
Used item but only a few hundred rounds. Only about 5 miles away. Like brand new for MSRP + FFL transfer fee.
Happy - Happy - Happy... Thanks Everybody!

Trigw

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yea! I posted a WTB (Want to Buy) to the local firearms forum and got an immediate response.
Used item but only a few hundred rounds. Only about 5 miles away. Like brand new for MSRP + FFL transfer fee.
Happy - Happy - Happy... Thanks Everybody!

Trigw
Glad you got one!

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Good for you; persistence and being in the right place at the right time. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts