Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  Lynnsky has asked me an interesting question:

Hi, Two Pistol Packer,
Thanks for all the input lately -- I sure appreciate it.  I notice on the PF-9 forum you say the P-3AT should have a 5 pound pull.  I had mine checked in St. Joe on Saturday and -- after checking it four times putting the spring at slightly different spots on the trigger each time -- it averaged out to 8 pounds.  You mentioned at anything over 5 pounds that something could be wrong.  What do you think the probelm could be?

Many thanks!

Regards,
Lynnsky
  I don't know how to answer this question because my 3 P3ATs that have 5 pound triggers are all over 2 years old. The new parts HAVE changed.

I KNOW they have shortened and strengthened the firing pin spring, and I KNOW they have added a coil to the hammerspring. So I am wondering:

Has KT increased the stock trigger pull on the later P3ATs from 5 pounds to 7 or 8?

Packer.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Both of mine are about 1 yr old, I checked the trigger pulls on all my KT's when I was checking the trigger pull on a muzzleloader.

P11 and P40's about 8 to 9 pounds
P3AT's about 4 to 5 pounds
P11 stainless about 11 pounds s/n less than 25,000

didn't have the PF-9 at the time.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
I have weighed my well broken-in FG P3AT with my NRA Certified trigger weight set. It will not trip at 5 pounds, but will trip at slightly more then that. I'm guessing about 5 1/4 - 5 1/2, but couldn't measure it accurately with my 5 pound weight set.
Mine got considerably lighter after the initial break-in and has settled down at the 5 - 5 1/4 weight now.

Keep in mind the hammer spring and parts smoothness are the determining factors in pull weight. As the spring takes a set with use, it will get lighter. A brand new gun probably will measure closer to 6 - 7 pounds until the spring sets and parts break in with some use.

KT says 5 pounds for the P32 & P3AT, and 9 for the P-11 on their website.

rcmodel

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thanks, guys,
Mine is nearing the 250 round mark, so I bet it will loosen up some. That and the trigger pull measuring device was a simple spring-loaded one that didn't look especially expensive or well built, so it may not have been all that accurate. The trigger pull on my P-3AT is definitely not a significant problem -- I've been much more accurate with it than with my P-11 thus far. It's definitely a keeper!

Regards,
Lynnsky

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hey, rjhauser,
The one they had at Dean's didn't look anywhere near that snazzy -- it was a tubed affair -- looked kind of like a handheld air pump for a football or whatever. It was also kinda rusty :)

The one you have looks way way better than the one used on mine. I know you won't mind sharing yours for just a few months -- my address is ... ;D Actually, my son has several shooting buddies -- I bet one of those guys has a good trigger-device I could use. I'm kinda curious is all. The little pistol shoots quite well, and my next Kel Tec purchase will most likely be another P-3AT. If I have to send it back to mother, I have got to have a back up!

Regards,
Lynnsky

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hey, TxCajun,
Do you suppose there'd be negative repercussions if a hillbilly like me was to use a ******* trigger scale? I guess I don't have to broadcast the fact that I used one. I've got it marked under favorites -- gonna have to rig one up one of these days -- thanks for the link. Pretty darn ingenious and, for my purposes, I figure it'll be accurate enough.

Regards,
Lynnsky

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Red neck, Hilbilly, city slicker...
I think it's a generic white trash trigger scale but minorities are welcome to use it too. ;D

I don'k know if YZguy saw this somewhere else or devised it himself. In theory, it should work fine so long as you have a scale to weight everything accurately. It is probably most valuable to show the difference in trigger pull on the same gun that has been worked on, i.e. F&B, trigger mods, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.