Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I understand, there are three different finishes for the S2K: blued, parkerized, and hard chrome. When I ordered my S2K, I had asked for all black. It was taking what felt like forever for it to come in, so I told the LGD I would take whatever came as long as it was a Glock 17, even if it had a pink fore end. :)

Well I got phone call to confirm shipping Tuesday with a bit of 'bad news': I had to pay 22$ more because all they had was hard chrome. I said ok. I was tired of waiting.

When I went to pick it up today, I mentioned to the LGD that I heard the hard chrome was hard to come by to which he said I had an unusually low serial number.

So my question is: what are the production numbers like for each finish? Are hard chrome S2Ks hard to come by?

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
They are the middle of the 3 finishes. Parkerized seems to actually be the rarest, and roughy 80 - 90% are simply blued. Kel-tec produces finishes to distributor orders, and as their HC supplier can provide them. But I would say less than 5% of all produced are in Hard Chrome.

They must have just finished a run of HC ones, because you are the 2nd or 3rd new member to recently get one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They must have just finished a run of HC ones, because you are the 2nd or 3rd new member to recently get one.
That's what I figured. I didn't think I would like it as I assumed it would be shiny. However, it's rather nice and has more of a matte brushed nickel finish look rather than the mirror finish of traditional chrome.

I wonder if anyone has all three finishes for comparison shots.

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
Blued below, chrome above. Not that there is much blue to see. I have never set eyes on a parked one. My understanding is that hard chrome has the more satin look instead of shine. It is said to have better corrosion resistance than either bluing or parkerizing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You could save yourself a few hundred and Duracoat the hardchrome black. It's a bit contrary to most people's tendencies, but if you really want a black one.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts