How often??

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by kwelter, Sep 25, 2009.

1. kwelter

kwelter Guest

Jan 18, 2009
    Hey all, this is officially my first post. I’m planning on getting a Kel-Tec pistol of some kind (leaning toward the P3AT) and one of my considerations is the ease of maintenance.

I’ve read about the procedures for the basic lubing and cleaning. I’ve also read about the disassembly of the firing pin to clean out the firing pin channel.

MY QUESTION IS: how often will the firing pin channel need cleaning???

I ask this because even tho the disassembly of the firing pin sounds easy, I’ll admit that I am no good at mechanical processes. With reading about applying ‘locktyte’ and being very careful not to over tighten the firing pin screw…I get scared, because making a mistake like over tightening a screw sounds like something I would do lol.

Thank in advance for the responses!

2. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Most probably never get more than a blast of Break Free...  :-/
    I don't go there less I suspect a problem or get real bored and just want to really clean the guns . I always do 1 time full tear down on buying a new(or new to me) gun. Then a normal field strip and lube every range session(every 50 rounds on the KTs as they are not range guns)  then another full tear down every couple years or as needed depending on how much I use a particular gun.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG. I would say that there are many out there that never clean the firing pin. even myself have never cleaned my frame and trigger mechanism. But cleaning the firing pin is very easy and determining when to stop tighting on that screw Should be OK, unless you are one of those that doesn't know their own stregnth.

4. VectorFL

VectorFL New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    As long as the firing pin is in the right position, you should be OK. Meaning, when you unscrew and remove the firing pin, you'll see a notch at the rear of the firing pin. The screw must set inside the notch when reassembled. That's what keeps it in place. If your screw is not in that notch, the screw will tighten against the firing pin, jamming it and rendering your gun totally useless.
    I say this from experience from when I first owned and disassembled my gun.

5. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

A little over 3 years now & I've not removed the firing pin on any of my KT P series guns.

6. one_gun

one_gun Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Hi there nice to have you on board.
    Also in the 3 1/2 years on mine I've only cleaned the firing pin once and that was with Break Free through
    the hole in the face of the slide and the under side. I've never taken it apart. So far it works great.
    If it's not broke why mess with it.:)

7. kwelter

kwelter Guest

Jan 18, 2009
    Thanks for all the good replies!

I'm glad to hear that this type of disassembly is rarely needed and in reality perhaps it is in face easier then I suspect.

The next thing I have to do is go get it!!

8. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    I decided to clean and check mine one day after reading about the possible debris that could be left from the manufacturing process. It was very simple to do with only one screw to remove and everything went back together very easily. There was no debris in mine so I lubed the firing pin and reassembled it. I have never had a failure with my P3AT and I cannot imagine being without one.

Billy

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    And good luck in getting some ammo ;)

10. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Maybe once a year for me. I field strip and clean every two weeks whether or not I've shot it. About once a year I pull out the frame, clean off all the lint and even clean out the firing pin channel. It isn't hard, but once I buggered up the socket in the button head screw. I replaced it (the next year) but it was a pain to remove. Don't over tighten, and use LockTite sparingly.

11. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Hi, I just clean mine after every use and keep it clean with a blast of air from pocket lint since I carry it every day. I have ownedit for almost 2 years now without one single mishap. GO BUY THE P3AT !!! They are fun !!! They will protect you !!! Enough said??

12. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I did mine when it was new to check for burrs and chips. I also wanted to bake Mili-Tec 1 oil on all the steel components. Plus I like tinkering with these guns. I don't plan on doing it again unless there is a problem or I have several thousand rounds through it.