How often should recoil spring be replaced

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by 98_1LE, Oct 20, 2007.

1. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    How often should the recoil spring be replaced in a P3AT? How much are replacements?

2. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    I have about 400 rounds through mine without changing.  I was on the phone with Kel-tec this week for something else, and asked about a set of recoil springs for mine.  I was informed they should last the life of the gun (6,000 rds).  Um, sure............

I'll try again later.  Maybe I'll get a more enthusiastic CS rep.

::)

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I have heard the 1000 round figure tossed around but hey, as long as the gun still runs well... :-/

4. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I don't have a definite answer to the original question, but here's an interesting experience I had with P-3AT recoil springs...

My gun had over 1900 rounds through it when I got kind of nervous about the recoil springs giving out at an inopportune time. So I replaced them with a set that I had ordered as a backup.

The first time I went to the range with the new set of springs everything ran perfectly.

When I got home and stripped the gun down for cleaning the outer recoil spring came out in two almost equal pieces - it had broken sometime during my range session, but with no ill effect.

I put the old set back in and ordered a new "backup" set.

The gun now has 2053 rounds through it with the original set of springs (except for the 50 rounds I shot with the "new" broken spring).

The moral of the story is: P-3AT recoil springs can last a long, long time (or a very short time). ;)