Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how often, if at all, should a pf9 be taken past field striping and cleaned and lubed. Also how far should it be taken down. Let me explain. As an example after about six trips to the range with my Ruger 9E, depending how many rounds I put through it at each range trip, I remove the striker and clean it and the striker Channel. I also take down and clean all my mags after a couple of range trips. I don't see the need to do this at every cleaning but I do beleave these things need to be cleaned and maintained. I am new to kel-tec and I was wondering what the recommendations are for the pf9.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Hey Poppy,
Welcome to Ktog. Your question doesn't have a simple answer. If it was, it would be 'as often as YOUR gun required'. Do you pocket carry? Does lint build up? Do you live in Arizona or Alabama? Do you work in a quarry or as a landscaper?

Any semi auto pistol is good for one shot. You probably won't need any gun, and in most cases, having any gun will stop the human threat. All gun fights are ended with the last shot. Shot placement can easily make that the first shot.

You see how that silly argument goes on and on?

You need to be confident that your gun will not only go bang, but will go bang until the magazine is empty.

I've not done it on my pf9, but I've pulled the frame out of the grip on my p3. You don't need to take every single part off. If you can pull your carry piece out of your pocket with no extra tlc and empty the mag, that is good. If you try to save money on carry ammo and unload the high dollar rounds and load up some cheaper ammo and wrack the slide a time or two in the process you haven't tested your gun in carry condition.

Unless you are sending many rounds down range I think it would be more helpful to pull the slide and toothbrush clean the lint, relube, and reload the gun on a bi weekly basis.

Do what makes you feel comfortable. Test that to verify it.

Carry all the time.

Be safe,
Lop

·
Registered
404 Posts
Agreed with LOP. I've only had to take down one of mine completely when the trigger axis broke. That happened to be the one I've had the longest and pocket carried the most. At that time I didn't see any significant lint built up from pocket carrying it either. It would depend on if you just drop it in your pocket minus a holster vs actually in a holster though. Also your cleaning habit. Mine gets a good scrubbing after each time fired at the range though and I usually blast at areas I can't get to easily with a can of air you use for dusting out PCs. So someone else might see more pocket junk in theirs. Unless I have to fix something again or decided to do the Northwood trigger replacement finally not planning on a complete teardown again. I haven't seen the need yet from just regular firing after a range trip and my usual cleaning regiment.

YMMV as usual.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya I guess my question could have used a few more details but I think you got my drift. Not a newbe to firearms just to kel-tec. Although I'm not a fanatic ( don't plan on doing custom trigger job or installing a ss return rod or such) if it ain't broke don't fix it. I certainly don't have the Barney Fife syndrome ( you know 1 rusty bullet, owned the gun for years and only fired it twice). As far as I'm concerned my PF9 is a tool and all my tools are well used but never abused. I take any of my EDC's to the range a minimum of once a month and I throw at least 50 rounds through it each time. They get cleaned and lubed every time I return from the range. A tool, any tool, is useless if the person using it doesn't know how to use it properly or if that tool doesn't perform The way it was designed because of misuse or Neglect. I cringe when I go to the range and see someone trying to operate at weapon that hasn't been cleaned in God knows how long and is so dry that the slide won't cycle, or if it's a revolver you can almost hear the cylinder Creeking as it rotates. I was simply looking for recommendations over and above normal field stripping and cleaning in regards to proper maintenance of the PF9

·
Registered
404 Posts
No worries. Everyone has a different take on stuff. Just sharing my experience thus far. Sounds like your a smart cookie in general and you'll know if something doesn't seem right with yours. That will probably be the time to dig deeper into it.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
All of the Kel Tec pistols are very simple, and you can see just about everyting in them when they are field stripped. I have 10+ year old KelTecs that I have never completely stripped, and that have a couple thousand rounds down range. I do like to pull the firing pins every few years. Everything else can be brushed or blown with air and relubed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
All of the Kel Tec pistols are very simple, and you can see just about everyting in them when they are field stripped. I have 10+ year old KelTecs that I have never completely stripped, and that have a couple thousand rounds down range. I do like to pull the firing pins every few years. Everything else can be brushed or blown with air and relubed.
WPhilB47,
Not TRING to toot your horn or anything (I would want you to get a swelled head) but your posts/replies always seem spot on if I ask a question you give me an answer to my question. Not a bunch of useless crap that has nothing to do with my original question. Also seems like we might think along some of the same lines. Like my other post about defense rounds and your comment about backwards wad cutters. Anyway thanks and I am truly starting to appreciate this forum and the communication with like minded members such as yourself.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I'm with Phil on this one. I've only removed the frame from the grip on my KTs when I was doing some work to them, updated hammer block ect.

I try to remember to remove the firing pin about once a year and clean the channel. Other than that just regular field striping as needed.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
WPhilB47,
Not TRING to toot your horn or anything (I would want you to get a swelled head) but your posts/replies always seem spot on..............
Are you trying to say my head is fat enough already?:eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just wanted to chime in, I only take the slide off mine and spray some lube in the guts maybe every 8-12 months it seems. Of course after a good breakin period, I rarely fire it anymore.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts

+ 1 on above . My PF-9 is a 2011 My 380 and 32 's date back to 2003 None have ever failed or fire or empty the mag on demand

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.