How "new" for new ejector?  

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by slomo, Jan 6, 2011.

1. slomo

slomo New Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Greetings, all,
    I just sold my "other brand copy" and bought my first P3AT, although I have two P-11s. My question, for which I was unable to find an answer using the search, is simply: How long ago did they start using the "pressed-in ejector" that is not prone to falling out upon disassembly? I was not aware of this until reading about it here. I'm at work and unable to play with the piece; bought it on my lunch break. I had the guy at the store show me how to disassemble one and nothing fell out that I saw. I did notice that he used a small straight-slot screwdriver to pull the pin rather than a piece of fired brass. It doesn't look to me like a cartridge rim will fit in there...will it? I wish I could get out of here early and try these things out myself. The day has really started dragging now; you know how it is to have a new toy and not be allowed to play with it, no?
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    slomo

2. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Re: How "new" for new ejector?  

The ejector falls out and runs away if you're not carefully watching it. Mine is taken out purposefully before cleaning so I can keep an eye on the little sucker. Been threatening to buy a lease for it too :D. Really though, if you take it out yourself and put it with the rest of the parts it's hard to loose.
    Negative. The P3AT doesn't have that feature like the P11 does. A pocket knife tip or something small like that will work well for removing the pin. Try pulling the slide back about 1/4" in order to take some pressure off the pin before removing it. You don't have to but it reduces wear on the pin itself. Congrats on getting the new toy and we're looking forward to the range report and your opinion of it.

3. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008

I've tried to remove the ejector on my P3AT and it won't budge. Regarding the take down pin, I commonly take it out with the rim of a cartridge.

4. slomo

slomo New Member

Dec 21, 2010

Well, I discovered how the ejector jumps out! The first time I had it apart, I didn't even notice it. Second time, I gave it a shot of moly here and there and as soon as it got a taste of loobritation, it made a break for it. I think I got it back in right. Fits all flush and stuff.
    I made a very hurried range trip before any F&B, etc, and used several different types of ammo. I got a couple of each kind of malfunction but I expect it to be a lot more forgiving now that I've buffed it a bit. Not something I want to stake my life on just yet. I've got a belt clip and a pinky extension on the way for it. Mainly just concerned about getting reliability way up right now. You could shave in my feed-ramp if you had a reeeeeally tiny face; it;s just that shiny.
    Any tips or advice, I'm all ears; please feel free to share.
    Thanks,
    slomo

5. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006

I had shot about 700rds through mine after buying it used and still had to do another F&B when I started using Critical Defense ammo. These small guns are finicky about what kinds of ammo they like so sometimes you'll have to rework one to match the ammo. A few failures during the break in period is to be expected so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Try breaking it in with FMJs and then find a good HP for carrying is my advice. Most people say the pistol is broken in after 200 or so rounds. When mine hit 50 problem free rounds I started carrying it. It's all in what you feel comfortable with.

6. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

My ejector falls out--older gun. My son bought his a year ago and it won't budge.

I suggest cleaning/lubing every 50 rounds for reliability.