how much to tighten extractor bolt

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by dirksterg30, Jul 29, 2009.

1. dirksterg30

dirksterg30 Member

Apr 24, 2008
    I recently replaced the extractor & spring on my 2nd gen P3AT. I have since had a failure to feed with Hydra-Shock JHP's (never fired before in this gun), but the Golden Sabers I normally carry ran fine. I'm wondering if I tightened the bolt too much. Is there any specification for how much torque is needed to tighten the extractor screw?

2. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Well, it is possible that the bullet profile is different enough. You do say you have never tried this ammo before, so there is no basis for comparison, but you do say that your normal carry ammo runs fine

therefore, the problem is most likely not due to your parts replacement, as well as you stated a failure to FEED, not EJECT.

Probably just a case of not liking the ammo. ymmv

3. scotthsi

scotthsi Guest

Jul 27, 2009
    You should not be applying any torque at all! Just snug it up flush and be sure to use blue Locktite and degrease the parts first. You should never have to worry about adjusting extractor spring tension so don't even think about removing some of the bend. I agree with RJ. Your P3AT just doesn't seem to like that ammo.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005