Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced the extractor & spring on my 2nd gen P3AT. I have since had a failure to feed with Hydra-Shock JHP's (never fired before in this gun), but the Golden Sabers I normally carry ran fine. I'm wondering if I tightened the bolt too much. Is there any specification for how much torque is needed to tighten the extractor screw?

·
Registered
14,984 Posts
Well, it is possible that the bullet profile is different enough. You do say you have never tried this ammo before, so there is no basis for comparison, but you do say that your normal carry ammo runs fine

therefore, the problem is most likely not due to your parts replacement, as well as you stated a failure to FEED, not EJECT.

Probably just a case of not liking the ammo. ymmv

·
Registered
21 Posts
You should not be applying any torque at all! Just snug it up flush and be sure to use blue Locktite and degrease the parts first. You should never have to worry about adjusting extractor spring tension so don't even think about removing some of the bend. I agree with RJ. Your P3AT just doesn't seem to like that ammo.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
dirksterg30 said:
...2nd gen P3AT. .. Is there any specification for how much torque is needed to tighten the extractor screw?  
JFB said:
You will want to use a good squared end 2mm allen. The screw is actually a 5/64", but the 2mm fits a little snugger.

the torque for a 6-32 screw will vary depending if you:
1) want to cause thread deformation to prevent it from loosing and thus need a new screw should you ever remove it
2) want to reuse it and either periodical check for tightness or apply a thread locking liquid.

These two torque values are very close to each other, 1) would be 15 to 20 inch-pounds and 2) would be 10 to 15 inch-pounds. If you are using the common "L", the 2) is normally achieved with the long end inserted and using only thumb and index finger to apply a snug, but non effort force. the 1) would be achieved with shorth end install using two/three fingers and a little effort.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts