how much is it worth?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by fuzz2moe, Aug 7, 2010.

1. fuzz2moe

fuzz2moe New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    I have a buddy who is selling his new P-3AT. It has exactly 46 rounds thru it, not more than 2 weeks old. He bought it, now decided he wants a revolver instead. He's also throwing in a 50 rounds of ammo. I was thinking it'd be worth $250 on the top end, but probably end up around $225. He has the dated receipt of when he bought it also. Any suggestions?

2. Ape

Ape New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Colorado
    Well, all I can say is he's "your" buddy right? And if it were "my" buddy then I'd want to do him right.
    Depending on the ammo type that is another 15 to 30 bucks in price. And if he's only put 46 rounds through it it's basically new still. So me personally.....I'd give him pretty close to what he paid for the gun and a bit to cover the cost of the ammo. But that's just me.

If he weren't my buddy then I'd offer him 200 and go from there. Depending on how much he paid for it of course.  ;)

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    At the right time and place, a new BLUED P3AT can be had for as little as $225 but they are usually more like $250+. A parkerized gun cost about $15 - $20 more than blued and hard chrome cost about $20 - $30 more than blued. Essentially, it depends on what your friend paid, what you can find a new one for in your area, and which finish it has. IMHO, hard chrome is well worth the added cost.

4. fuzz2moe

fuzz2moe New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    I'm not buying it from my buddy, he wants me to help him sell it. I have a P-11 on layaway so I'm not really interested in his. I thought he paid a little too much for it new as it was, I'm just hoping to recoop some of his money back.

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    He might consider taking it back where he bought it and trading it on a revolver. If they want to keep his business, they shouldn't screw him over to badly. :-/

6. MphsTiger1981

MphsTiger1981 New Member

Feb 4, 2010
    He might consider taking it back where he bought it and trading it on a revolver.  If they want to keep his business, they shouldn't screw him over to badly.  :-/
    [/quote]

I agree with TxCajun that he might see what the gun store will do on a trade for the revolver of his choice. I personally have not had much luck trading with the LGS on guns that were that new.  My personal experience has been on the P3AT they LGS will allow you $100 towards the price of the new gun, unless they will also discount the new gun as well. Perhaps gun sales have slowed down a little now and they want his business and they will make him a good deal.

I would also check to see if there was a way to sell it locally on a gun forum. Most gun guys know what it's worth and will buy it for cash, just to save the money on taxes and background check fees. Of course, this will also depend upon what your state and local laws are. I'm in TN and we are okay selling to individuals face to face within the state. $250 for the gun and the ammo sounds fair to me, but I also just bought a new one here for $230 just a few weeks ago. Ammo is still a little scarce, and what you can find is still relatively costly. The average price around me is about $20 per box of 50 FMJ.

7. fuzz2moe

fuzz2moe New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Well, he sold it for $200 to another buddy of his. I think his buddy got a pretty good deal lol.

8. gcnd

gcnd New Member

May 18, 2010
    I'd ask 225