How much do you shoot..

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Cornhusker, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Your P3AT?
    I don't really shoot mine a lot, usually just once every couple weeks or once a month to empty the mags, clean it, reload it and put it back in the holster or back in the cabinet.
    It's not really a target shooting gun, and my hands are big enough that after 4 or 5 mags full, it gets uncomfortable to shoot.
    Do you guys shoot yours a lot?

2. JB

JB Guest

Well, not lately because of the scarcity of .380 ammo.  Before that, I'd say I shot it as much as I shot any of my other handguns. Of course, I guess that would depend on what you consider to be 'a lot' - I still didn't shoot mine more than a couple of times a month but I suspect that some would consider that to be 'a lot' when it comes to the P3AT.

See, some folks consider the P3AT (and P11, to some extent) to be 'carry a lot, shoot a little' firearms due to the fact that they aren't the easiest things to shoot.  My problem with that is, BECAUSE they aren't the most comfortable/natural pistols to shoot, if I don't practice with them pretty regularly I lose the ability, pretty quickly, to actually hit my intended target.  Sure, I have larger handguns that are more fun to shoot - but for the most part, because they are larger and easier to control, I can go months without shooting those and still be able to at least hit a target.

3. Gramps300

Gramps300 New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Until WalMart starts getting ammo again, two or three mags a week, and the same for the P40 and P11.  I try to keep 200-300 rounds of each caliber, and it's expensive to keep a supply on hand when I have to buy on line and pay big bucks plus shipping.  I want to be sure to have some defense when the Federalees come to take my guns away.  Plinking now is mostly .22LR which is still pretty cheap.

4. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    When I first got my P-3AT I shot about 50-100 rounds every two weeks. After it was broken in and I was accurate and confident with it, it became about 25 rounds every two weeks. Since last fall when the ammo shortage and price gouging started I haven't bought any ammo and haven't gone to the range at all.

Bobo

5. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I was shooting mine quite a lot but .380 became virtually impossible to find for a long time, then you could sporadically find it for something like $39.99/box.

I could get 9MM almost all the time and for a good price, so I mainly shoot that until I can get a good supply of .380.

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I shoot mine about the same as you do. I'll shoot a mag or 2 of carry ammo that was in the gun (Corbon DPX), then a couple mags of range fodder. Then I may do the same with another carry gun or 2. If I'm going to do more extended shooting, I usually switch to other guns.

7. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Hey, while we are on the topic of shooting these pups, I found out why ammo is so hard to find. The guy at the ammo counter in Wally World told me that the .380 is the cartriage of choice amongs gang bangers, and the gubmint ask the ammo makers to back off on the supply.
    That's one mystery all cleared up. ::)
    I'm down to two mags of carry + 6 more rounds, and less than 100 rounds of ball ammo. >:( I'm not shooting until I can get some more ammo. I'm hitting the lgs's ~3 times a week, and any WW that I see when i'm in another town. It's grim.

8. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    You mean all of the TV shows have been wrong? :eek: Seems like everyone gets shot with a "9". Sometimes a 22 but almost everytime with a "9".

Would shoot the 3AT a whole lot more that what I do now as I want to run this gun in. Went to a "gun show" yesterday, they had 380 for $40.00 per box of 50. :( LGS has limited supply at $24.99/50 rounds. Hard to justify 80 cents per practice round in this size caliber. Have tried to shoot at least once per week with the 380 then go over to the P22 to continue practice in DA. Get some wierd looks :-/ de-cocking the P22.

9. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Re: How much do you shoot..22 conversion unit?

Hello,

I shoot quite a bit, but 380 ammo has taken a hunk out of my  budget, and I now reload it.  I almost wish Kel-Tec would make a 22 conversion unit for practice with their pistols.  I have a Walther PK-380 and a P-22, and for the most part practicing 100 rounds with the P-22 helps quite a lot with the PK-380 which is almost identical in size.  I think the P3AT and P-32 could be converted to 22 LR by a change of the magazine, recoil spring, barrel, and slide.  Ammo being high priced the 22 LR conversion unit would pay for itself pretty fast since 100 rounds of Winchester 22 Super X Super Speed HP is $5.99 vs. $40-$50 for the same amount of 380 ammo at the local discount store, just a thought.

Thanks

10. will919

will919 Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Michigan
    When I had my p3at :'( I shot it 4-5 times a year, would have shot more if the .380 ammunition was more reasonably priced

11. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I don't shoot a ton to begin with.  Once a month or so.  When I go I shoot the glock the most because it's easy to shoot and doesn't bite.  The Bersa Thunder 380 gets some range time every other or every third session.  The P3AT, since break in, gets shot the full mag and about 1/2 a box of the next PD ammo.  Load the mag after cleaning.  Carry.

+ 1 on the .22 conversion kit. I would buy one. Then I would have a reason to stock up on .22 ammo. Got none now.

G17
    Bersa Thunder 380
    Kel-tec P3AT

12. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Well, I've been looking for months, and finally found some ammo. Picked up 100 rounds of pmc fmj's for 40 bucks, and 20 speer gold dot's for a buck15 each. That exactly doubled my stock of .380's :( But at least I feel that I can shoot a few of them. I view the .380 as a gun to get me to another gun, so I don't feel the need to stock pile a lot of them, where as, if I only had 240 9mm or .44's I'd be visibly shaking. :eek:

13. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007
    If it wasn't for the ammo situation I would shoot mine a lot.  It has become my favorite of all the guns I've ever owned.  With the light smooth trigger, comfortable recoil, and the fact that it fits my small hands, I love it as much for a plinker as a defensive weapon.  Ammo is a problem though. :(

Lop, I'm finding lately that if you check some of the Walmart's in our area on Thursday afternoons they'll have 1 or 2 boxes of UMC.  If you're ever on the southside, I catch them sometimes at the one near Fort Gillem.

14. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Not much these days. Ammo availability and cost are the drivers here. I do shoot at least a mag throught it each time I go to the range - as a function check. That said, with the cost of ammo these days I don't get to the range much anymore either.

15. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    a lot, untill the ammo problem.

16. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I am, I shoot as much as possible as often as possible. I handload and now that components are again plentiful where I've been going to the range at least twice a month. I always carry and shoot my P3AT and LCP.

17. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    I've taken the ammo shortage as an opportunity to see what happens if I don't shoot for a long time.

Used to be that I had to shoot at least once a month in order to hit COM 1/3 times with the very first shots. Then, something magically changed - started hitting COM 3/3 times, with the first shots, for no visible reason. Like somebody turned on a light switch, and I could suddenly shoot without any effort. Wierd, but nice feeling. COM hits then turned into X ring hits for some reason.

So, it's been about 4 months since I've been to the range  :-[. Went yesterday, pulled gun from ankle holster in a hurry, aimed at sillouette 15 feet away, bang bang bang. 2 in the heart, 1 just outside in the high liver area. Big smile on face  ;D. Here's the type of target I like to use... http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=B-21XPH
    [​IMG]

18. finnfur

finnfur New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Down to about 1 Mag every third month - the first two rounds will be carry the rest of mag range ammo. they are still holding 5 " group @ 21'
    so all is good. I do practice with others guns but still only once a month.

19. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Almost the same as finnfur; in good weather, long guns, then 22 WMR, 38/357 and then one magazine of 380; in bad weather, indoor range, 22 WMR, 38/357 and then one magazine of 380. Remington ball is still all we can find here, and not always that! :eek:

20. onefunzr2

onefunzr2 New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    I empty my mag of DPX every 6 months and refill with my supply bought years ago for less than $18 a box.  :)

Otherwise I shoot reloads, which this mousegun seems to love.  But I don't carry this gun year round.  Now that colder weather is here, I usually carry my Glock 33, 357SIG which is easier to conceal under heavy clothing.