Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many reload their own ammo to shoot. You here about all the different rounds and such and the cost. It cost me about $150 to set myself up to reload...including primers and powder. I also make my own bullets..very easy to do. Within 4 months I have broken even and will be shooting for $3 or under a box. I thought it would be hard to do but after reading about it on different sites it became a great hobby. You actually do make better rounds than you can buy from the big name manufactures. You are also able to adjust your recoil to a lighter load so you can work better on your trigger control and sights. And we all know the prices will go up because of the elections.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I don't... For a couple reasons:
I'm a Full-Time RVer and don't have the room to designate to reloading, or to store the equipment.
I don't have the time to designate to just reloading.
From what I understand, to do it safely, you need a designated area with limited to no distractions. Not something one should multitask.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I reload for most calibers that I shoot, including the .45acp and the 9mm, but I do not use reloads in my PF-9s. Reason is that with any reloaded case (even when properly and fully resized), the case has already been stretched and then resized, which makes case expansion in the chamber a bit stickier than a factory round. Also, the rim of the case has already been beat up a bit, and thus can make for less than perfect extraction. Given the PF-9s sensitivity to ammo, throwing reloads into the mix simply makes proper function more problematic in the PF-9. Since this pistol is purely a self defense firearm, once it was properly broken in and working well, I don't push it with a lot of shooting (I have other pistols for practice) but just enough to keep my proficiency and check the operation from time to time. So no need for lots of ammo for it. Also, Kel Tec pretty clearly recommends against reloads, so just another reason not to use them.

Jim R

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Every company warns agianst using reloads. All my shooting ammo comes out of zip lock bags. I reload for all my guns except the 32 and 380.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In years past, I was into bullet casting and reloading almost every centerfire I owned. Now, mostly just specialized ammo I can't buy at a reasonable price - like reduced recoil rifle ammo, 'cat sneeze' ammo, hard to find stuff like .357 maximum, etc.

For self defense, I use premium factory LE stuff. Federal Tactical HST in my PF-9.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Started reloading in 1967. Reloaded 38sp, 357mag, 45acp, 30/30, 308 & 270. Still have all my old original Lyman equipment but don't load much now due to plain old laziness:eek:.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't... For a couple reasons:
I'm a Full-Time RVer and don't have the room to designate to reloading, or to store the equipment.
I don't have the time to designate to just reloading.
From what I understand, to do it safely, you need a designated area with limited to no distractions. Not something one should multitask.
If you don't have time, then no reason to reload. But space shouldn't necessarily be a consideration. First 5 or so years that I reloaded, I kept all my gear in a small Rubbermaid tub in a closet, and just pulled it out when I needed to reload. I used C clamps to clamp the press to whatever table was available---picnic table outside if weather was nice, kitchen table if weather was bad.

You are right about it needing time and focus. I find I tend to spend about an hour at a time reloading. Sometimes an hour and a half, if I have had a long trip to the range previously. :D

To answer the original question, I now reload for EVERYTHING I shoot, including 9mm. My PF-9 has never seen a factory load. Digests my reloads fine. Don't know that I reload 9mm cases enough times to beat up the rims. 9mm brass is generally free for the picking everywhere, so I tend to use cases only 2-3 times.

I reload .380acp for my P-3AT, too. Price of .380acp factory ammo keeps that high on my priority list.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't by factory ammo anymore EXCEPT for what I carry as a self defense round.

I could not afford to shoot as much as I do if I had to pay retail for all that ammo. It is a past time that I enjoy very much. I even cast my own bullets. I don't have time for it either, but I make time. It helps to keep me sane.

As to re-loaded cases sticking in the chamber, I can't really think of why unless it was a hot load. All of my loads are on the lighter side. Never had a problem with extraction.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I just started, got a press for Christmas, so far so good. The only issue I've run into, the PF9 has a short 'throat', OAL can't always match what is recommended, so needed to shorten it up, use less powder. All the ammo I've loaded so far for 9mm and .38 special has gone 'bang' and all my guns still work, all in all enjoying the 'trip'.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
You know loading for an auto pistol and making it work, you've got to know what you doing, Use good brass, and work up a good load. Then you should have ammo better than you can buy. Not one of my tens of thousands of
hand loads have left a bullet in the barrel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
what kind of eqipment do you need to get started reloading? it seems to me to be expensive to reload. im sure it pays for itself but i dont shoot alot, and when i do i buy 100rds of federal 115 grn for 20.00 at walmart

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't reload 9mm because of the ease and convenience of inexpensive FMJ practice ammo. That said, I have the equipment to cast bullets and load many pistol calibers. It does not pay to reload unless you do volume or want special/tuned loads.

You can go real cheap but, for 101 general reloading, I would suggest something like a Lee kit with a single stage press, powder scale, etc. Probably $125 or so. Dies for each caliber are about $25.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't reload 9mm because of the ease and convenience of inexpensive FMJ practice ammo. That said, I have the equipment to cast bullets and load many pistol calibers. It does not pay to reload unless you do volume or want special/tuned loads.

Yeah, that was my opinion. Still is, generally. Then I worked up a reduced power load for my PF-9 that still functions the action 100%. Makes those long range sessions a lot more fun.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wildcat blue what kind of eqipment do you need to get started reloading? it seems to me to be expensive to reload. im sure it pays for itself but i dont shoot alot, and when i do i buy 100rds of federal 115 grn for 20.00 at walmart

I am with you wildcat. I only shoot about 50 rounds a week mostly 357 and a few out of my PF9. I just got a single stage press from lee..Midway had them on sale... I looked at the other presses and figured I would never wear it out the way I shoot. I found a place to pick up the powder and primers so I would not have to pay for the shipping and hasmat fee. I could just not figure that I would save so much money by reloading. Only loading a a box or two a week lets me do a real good job of weighing each powder charge and bullet. I really enjoy being able to change things around and see the effect on the target. I thing it just complements you shooting experience knowing you made that gun go boom....

·
Registered
90 Posts
I reload for every thing I own except 12g
as far as equipment
I reload on a lee single stage and a Loadmaster progressive
I started reloading to "Save" money ... I didn't I just shoot more

·
Registered
152 Posts
I shoot a lot and I'm not wealthy , so reloading is a necessary "chore" for me.
45 auto is what i shoot most and i can crank out 600+ rnds pr hour on my progressive press set up

if I only shot a couple thousand rnds pr year, I wouldn't bother with relaoding at all

I don't reload 9mm (anymore) cause it costs me 13 cents to make a 9mm rnd (with FMJ bullet) and i can buy 9mm by the case for 17 cents pr rnd.
I only shoot maybe 2000-3000 rnds a year of 9mm.
It's just not worth my time at the press to save $100-$120 a YEAR

I only loaded 9mm before due the "The Great Panic of '08" when panic buying made fining ammo difficult ..once that settled down , i stopped loading 9

I do have enough components on hand to load 3-4000 9mm rnds.
Just in case there is another panic buying frenzy in Nov

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I reloaded a lot of 12g and 20g because I went through hundreds of rounds a week when I was competing. I have a buddy with the setup for 45 ACP so I piggyback off of him. I only shoot 9mm every month or so (just enough to stay proficient) so I buy that off the shelf. Most of my practice is with my Ruger MK II. I tear through bricks of 22.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
started in 1973 and have not looked back. i load and cast bullets for, 25 acp, 380acp, 9mm mak, 9mm, 38sp, 357mag, 40s&w, 45acp, 44mag, 5.56, 7tcu, 7mm-223, 7mm-308, 30-06, 8mm, 308, 30-30, 35 rem, and 12 ga. still got my first press and have pickup more along the way. been looking for some 32 dies. if i got a gun i shoot reload in it. more shooting with little money. if you are going to start reloading the first thing is to find some reloading books and read everything you can. they i would go with some used equipment just to make sure you like doing it. you don't have to spend a lots of money to get started.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts