Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Re: how many owners would ditch the p3at for a pf9

I'd keep the P3AT, I'd feel kinda naked without it. I tried carrying the PF-9 around the house yesterday in some new loose fit jeans I bought the purpose of CCW. It fits, and can be drawn, I don't have a holster for it yet so It prints gun. The P3AT just looks like a square outline in the holster.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts

fwiw, and flame me if you want,

THE PF-9 IS NOT NOT NOT NOT A POCKET GUN!!!!

It will not fit in my pocket and be drawn easily.

THe P3 fits whereever I put it. No problems. In a hloster, the PF-9 will work fine.

JMHO.

·
Registered
81 Posts

P3AT

I'd have to buy pants a size bigger and walk around with them baggy just to get a PF9 to feel right in a pocket. And... If I'm gonna wear a holster then I'm gonna carry something with a little more power and capacity than the PF9.

G

·

cactus_jack said:
-
P-3AT

Because of it's size and questionable reliability at this time, the PF-9 can not replace the P-3AT.

+1 Jack. NO take that back a BIG PLUS +9 on that. nothing like the 380. ;D

G

·

rjhauser said:
fwiw, and flame me if you want,

THE PF-9 IS NOT NOT NOT NOT A POCKET GUN!!!!

It will not fit in my pocket and be drawn easily.

THe P3 fits whereever I put it.  No problems.  In a hloster, the PF-9 will work fine.

JMHO.
even more so RJ when one puts that pf9 inside a good pocket holseter, you certainly then don't have a "pocket gun".  If I have to dress to carry a Pf9 then I will carry something better. I might be totally off base here, but I think kt's nitch is the 380 mini and not the pf9 or p11, there are others out there "almost" as small and that are reliable etc, but no one has come up woth such a good working 380 that weights nothing like kt has. IMO they should strive to make that weapon even better with better quailty control issues, better finish (which they have now started to do). This is a unique weapon that even though there are a few almost as small and maybe even better made and more costly, the kt mini 380 and even the 32 are so unique and simple that Kt just needs to improve on the overall quality and performance of the weapons. I don't think there is a person here who would not pay alittle more to see these weapons coming out of the box right the first time and the materials and workmanship being much better. It can be done, there are machines made that can peform these quality features. We shouldn't bee hearing about crappy barrels, or slide photos as horrendous as we have seen lately. Kt has no market challenge "yet" with their two mini's.. they have plenty of market challenge with the 9's though.

·
Registered
871 Posts

jocko said:
 I don't think there is a person  here who would not pay alittle more to see these weapons coming out of the box right the first time and the materials and workmanship being much better. It can be done, there are machines made that can peform these quality features. We shouldn't bee hearing about crappy barrels, or slide photos as horrendous as we have seen lately. Kt has no market challenge "yet" with their two mini's..  they have plenty of market challenge with the 9's though.  
I couldn't agree more and I for one sure would be willing to pay more for improved quality in the P-3AT.

·
Registered
465 Posts

jocko said:
even more so RJ when one puts that pf9 inside a good pocket holster, you certainly then don't have a "pocket gun".  If I have to dress to carry a Pf9 then I will carry something better. I might be totally off base here, but I think kt's nitch is the 380 mini and not the pf9 or p11 
Even though the PF-9 and P11 are too big for most to pocket carry there is demand for the smallest and lightest 9mm to more easily conceal in other locations.

I would agree that the PF-9 will not outsell the P3AT but who knows a lot of folks don't feel safe with anything less than 9mm.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

The P3AT is the pocket gun. You can put other guns in a pocket but they don't really compete in size and weight. When dressing light in the summer I sometimes carry 2 P3ATs but the second one is usually in a Stellerrigs neck holster not in the waistband.

Until KT has made the PF9 more reliable I am not inclined to try one as a primary gun. At present I use a Kahr PM9 as my next step up in power after the P3AT. The PM9 is very similar in size and weight to the PM9 and I find it just a little to large and heavy to carry in a pants pocket so it goes in an IWB holster on those occasions where my favorite primary, the Kahr P45, is a little to large or heavy for IWB carry.

I agree completely with rjhouser and jocko about the P3AT and particularly about the quality control or lack of it in some of these guns. A gun designed for self defense must above all be reliable.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts

P3AT, no question about it.

I already have way too many belt holster guns, which the PF-9 is.
Don't need any more.

And if I were to buy another 9mm, it would likely be in .357 SIG caliber, with a real good SA/DA trigger pull.

More of a "Woods-Bum'n-Varmint-Hunt'n" gun, then a "Lets-go-to-a-Gunfight gun".

rcmodel

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts

P-3AT all the way! ;D

·
Registered
210 Posts

The little 380 does what I want it too ... the 9 will not.

That is to:
1. ride comfortably and without effort or notice in my pocket everyday-everywhere.
AND
2. when needed put a real hurt on any man or dog that crosses the threat boundary.

The 9 will only do only #2, the 380 will do both.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.