How many of you primary carry your P3-AT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by David_the_Gnome, Dec 18, 2007.

1. David_the_Gnome

David_the_Gnome New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I originally bought this gun as a pocket/back-up gun. Ever since I purchased it however, I have been finding it in my pocket every time I go out. It's so much easier to toss the P3-AT in my pocket holster and go than it is to try and strap on my Para Ordnance Slim Hawg 1911 every time I go out. I didn't buy this as a primary carry gun but it's quickly taking over that role for me. I know my Slim Hawg is a much better choice as far as self-defense is concerned but it's just too easy to carry my P3-AT. It's so comfortable I don't even realise it's there and it conceals better than anything else I own, even when carried in my front pocket. Has anyone else fallen into the habit of primary carrying your P3-AT?

Just a point of clarification: By primary carry I mean it is the only gun you carry with you. :)

2. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    If I'm too lazy to hitch up the revolver, I know that the P3-AT is still in my pocket. So yes, I do, occasionally.

3. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
  4. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    My-first-choice-was-a-S&W442-but-after-three-weeks-I-was-looking-for-something-else,-and-found-the-p3at.-- :cool:--.Much-better.with-me-all-the-time---Sorry-my-spacebar-is-not-working,,,-Water-damage.--Tom

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    This poll and original question is of the same lines as what i've been thinking lately as per "How much gun does one need verses the occupation, location, and paranoia"

My P3AT is my CCW around town and the yard. But a lot of times around the yard I still prefer to open carry something bigger to dispatch varmits (mini 14).

As far as CCW, I feel I must be on the Low risk side for the above critirea. If it was any greater, I would be looking for more rounds ( like a 32 cnt extended mag) ;)

6. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    I went with a "yes" but that's not the whole story. In summer when I'm wearing a tee shirt the P3 is my front pocket (in a holster Scott ;) as primary. In any other season where I can wear a cover shirt with the tail out it's the P40 IWB (sorry Scott). However I never feel "undergunned" with the P3.

7. Ginrai

Ginrai New Member

Dec 17, 2007
    I do. I was considering getting something a little bigger but this just fit for everything I needed.

8. Ohio_Rusty

Ohio_Rusty New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Last year I was carrying a Charter Arms .44 special. Nice gun, good caliber, but too big even as a snub to carry 24/7, especially in the summer. I sold my .44 and used that money to buy my P3AT. That was one of the best investments I ever did. Now I carry my P3 everywhere, and it doesn't matter if I have on a heavy coat or just jeans and a sport shirt, or cutoffs, no shirt and sandals. That wonderful bundle of bang has become my constant companion. The only other pistol I'm planning on getting next year is a Bersa Thunder in .380 so I have two guns that shoot the same ammo and reloads, and use all the same reloading equipment. The Bersa won't be a carry gun, it's for fun and one to keep at the house for the wife. The only other gun I would consider buying is another Small KelTec pistol, either in a .380 or a .32.
    I'm extremely happy that my P3 is my one and only primary carry pistol, and I do not feel undergunned or have any negative concerns that this gun will save my life or the lives of my family should it be called out to perform that role.
    Ohio Rusty

9. GMax

GMax New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    My house and car gun is a P-11 with 12+1, although the P-3AT is always in my rear pocket. When easily accessible I think a larger caliber weapon with more firepower than the .380 is prudent. The P3AT however is my lifesaver anywhere else.

10. Yes..Uh..no......uhmmmmm I don't own a REAL gun....but a friend of mine does...yeah.....

HE carries pretty much every where all the time his virtual ccw permit allows.

Most of the time it is a G27 IWB or smart carry.

Most of the time the 3AT is secondary in some sort of pocket carry.

At times the 3AT is Primary, but not much since the G27 came along.

HE also has a PARA P-10.  VERY nice to carry IWB or smart carry

11. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

Yes, except when I don't.

12. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    As of right now, my P-3 is the only pistol I own so yes it is my primary. Hope to get something with a little more punch one day but even then I have a filling that it will remain primary about 80% of the time specially in the summer time here in Bama.

13. Logan

Logan New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I said yes as well. I also have a S&W J frame but find the P3 much easier. I had a G23, probably get another one some day. For know though, the P3 is def the first choice.

14. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    I have a couple of other 380,s a llama and a sig sauer.love the sig: very lightweight.But for pure comfort of carry the P3 can,t be beat.Forget its there at times....

15. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Only because the PF-9s are on a vacation to FL. When they get back, the 3AT will be returning to BUG status.

So for now, yes, my 3AT is my primary carry at work. Other than that, it's a BUG, or even a BUG to my BUG.

16. PakWaan

PakWaan New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    I carry my Colt New Agent compact 1911 .45 OWB 75% of the time with a long t-shirt over it, and my P-3AT in my pocket the other 25% of the time.

17. pstan13

pstan13 New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I used to carry a S&W .40, when I carried.  It was a compact, but still too large to carry consistently.  Since I have gotten a P3-AT in September, I have been carrying it daily in my front pocket.  Depending on the pants I am wearing, I either have it in a DeSantis Nemesis, DeSantis Sting (with extra mag), or use the belt clip.

18. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    As many have stated, the P3 is my "always" gun. When I feel less lazy, the S&W AirLite 357 or Kahr 40 is on me somewhere - but not always.

19. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Most of the time, P3-AT is primary.

Although, in winter, most time outside of work it is something bigger, in 9 or 10 millimetre. My Witness only has one range session in on it, so as eager as I might be to carry the hand cannon when the new rig gets in, the PF-9 is the trusted "big bore", ironically.

But in general, yes, most hours I am awake the P3-AT is with me. Whether it is alone or not, that depends.

20. Waterguy

Waterguy New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    I registered just because of this post.  I currently own a Colt 1911, a Ruger SP101, a Springfield service XD45, a Smith and Wesson model 640, and a P3AT.  I have in the past occaisionaly carried both the Ruger and the Smith.  Both are steel pistols.  I notice both of them enough when I am carrying that for the most part I just don't carry. I have been a carry permit holder for about 20 years but I have almost never carried.

I bought the P3AT about a month ago.  210 rounds through it so far.  60 the first range trip, 50 each after that.  2 jams during rounds 61 - 111, nothing since.  200 rounds ball and 10 of my carry round.  It is a work in progress.

Here's the thing, in the past I carried RARELY.  Either some local news story had me worried or I was in a mood.  Carrying a big chunk of steel was always uncomfortable.  I don't hang in areas that crime happens often in, I am good about situational awareness, and I train in the martial arts.  I figured my odds were good enough on the street.  Situational awareness FTW BTW.  If you are good on that and don't carry, you are way better off then someone who does not focus on it but always has a weapon.....but I digress.

Since I bough my P3AT, the only time I am not armed is when I am at work(not allowed).  Argue the ballistics all you want, but there are some nice rounds for .380.  Bottem line - first rule of a gun fight is have a gun.

Bad stuff happens.  I, for one, am not willing to base my entire life philosphy on the fact that at one moment I might have to live through an extreme gun battle.  Odds say...no.  On the other hand, I love the fact that I am now statisticly speeking part of what makes violent crime lower in my state.  I am confident in my ability to take on 1 or 2 armed attackers with my Kel - Tec.  I am also confident that more than that would ensure that my wife would indeed be collecting life insurance.  For me the Kel - Tec P3AT is the perfect carry weapon.