How many of you have refinished your slide?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by billjohnso20, Feb 24, 2009.

1. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I finally decided to take the plunge. I got tired of the thin looking finish and the pits in the steel on the slide of my P3AT. Don't get me wrong. I love my KTs and the fit and finish on my P3AT has always been better than the fit and finish on my PF-9. But compared to my LCP, the finish on my P3AT looked like a blindfolded third grader had blued it. The reason I started with the P3AT is because I had the LCP I could carry in the meanwhile.

Well I stripped it with Casey Blue Remover. It only took fifteen minutes or so to remove the factory blue. I then sanded the slide with my dremel first using a sanding drum. I then used medium grit sandpaper to remove the heavy machining marks and the deep pits. I then used my dremel with a sanding disc to buff the rough sanding marks. After that I used both 400 grit and 1000 grit sandpaper, in that order, to further remove sanding marks and polish the steel. Once I had sanded the entire slide with the 1000 grit, I used a steel bristle brush with my dremel to really polish the slide to a mirror finish. This removed every sanding mark that was left on the slide. I didn't really melt the slide because there really aren't any sharp edges on the P3AT slide.

Once the steel shined, I started the process of blueing the steel. Unfortunately, I started with Super Blue. Big mistake. I thought the extra strength blue solution would make it easier but it made it harder. Long story short, I stripped it again, rebuffed the steel, and tried the Super Blue again. Bigger mistake. I had to strip it and polish it yet again! I'm not certain as to why but the Super Blue would not provide an even finish and the more I tried it, the worse it got.

In the end, I went back to the Perma Blue. That did the trick. It provided an even coating that three applications later created a beautiful matte black finish that is as smooth as glass. I'm not sure why the Super Blue wouldn't work but I'm satisfied with the finish the Perma Blue created. My next project will be refinishing the slide on my PF-9.

So, how many of you have refinished your P3AT or other KT and why?

2. MarkTX

MarkTX New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    League City TX
    I didn't reblue my slide but Ihave used Perma blue in the past. MyWin 69a 22. was submerged in Hurricane Ike along with all my other firearms, all my hunting rifles 2 1911s a couple of shotguns, but not my P-3AT, ruger 22 and Makarov. to get back to the bluing issue, my 22 win. took the Superblue great, but only on the barrel and receiver. the bolt handle and other parts didn,t take. I thgink it has to do with the different metals used in the peices.

3. MarkTX

MarkTX New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    League City TX
    I didn't reblue my slide but Ihave used Perma blue in the past. MyWin 69a 22. was submerged in Hurricane Ike along with all my other firearms, all my hunting rifles 2 1911s a couple of shotguns, but not my P-3AT, ruger 22 and Makarov. to get back to the bluing issue, my 22 win. took the Superblue great, but only on the barrel and receiver. the bolt handle and other parts didn,t take. I thgink it has to do with the different metals used in the peices.

4. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Refinished the PF9 slide, haven't gotten to the P3AT yet. Did it because I wanted to try my hand at "melting". Also did the barrel, mostly for additional rust protection but also because I like black on black.

Used a hand file for the melting, dremel for rough work, emery cloth down to 600 for smoothing and hit it all with a sandblaster and some aluminum-oxide for the final texture.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. badfishy

badfishy New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    that black on black pf9 looks awesome!

6. fwm

fwm New Member

Jun 14, 2006
    NW MO
    You mean like this?

[​IMG]

Used to be a blued/rust slide that would never stay clean or oiled.  Now I just blow the lint out of it.

I find I can only carry chromed or stainless if I am to prevent rust. Flop sweat just gets everywhere and will rust a gun in minutes it seems.

7. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    doubloon,
    Nice pics! I really like what you did with your PF-9. How long has the barrel been blued? It looks like it is holding up well. I really like the look. I just might try blueing my barrel on one of my KTs. Up till now, I've just kept my barrel cleaned and well oiled but blueing would be easier to maintain.

8. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Thanks.

The truth is I took that pic a few days after I blued it. I keep it dry and don't clean it often but I'll have to pull it apart to see the current condition. I'll add a pic of current condition when I do.

I expect it will get worn and reblued and end up looking a little splotchy as time goes on. The main reason for the sandblasting was to be able to easily tell where things are getting worn smooth so I know which parts of the frame and slide to pay special attention to.