How Long??

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by sr9shooter, Nov 25, 2008.

1. sr9shooter

sr9shooter New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    A new p-3at owner here. I was wondering how long does it take to get use to that LONG pull? Been well pleased with it so far. about 100 rounds and no problems. A plug to everyone here on the board. Good info.

2. I suppose it depends on what you you usually shoot......but the more lead down range the easier it was for me to shoot. And when you get the feel for it, you can stage the trigger, but I usually do not try that unless I am trying to impress some one with a nice group.

3. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Get some snap caps and do some dry fire practice. It will break in the trigger and get you used to the pull without the added cost of ammo.

But ... even though it's only snap caps DO NOT POINT IT AT YOUR TV OR YOUR DOG OR YOUR WIFE'S CAT OR ...

4. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    A little story behind that you wanna share with the rest of the group, there DB? :-? It really depends on how much you shoot, in terms of time spent shooting per range trip. One or two trips should push you well into the comfort zone I would think.

5. If my memory is right..........I think DB shot the refrigerator? I did a search but came up empty.

Fess up DB.

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I gather you have been shooting mostly single action pistols or maybe Glocks.  You think the P3AT trigger pull is long?  Go shoot a P11 for a while or maybe some double action revolvers. And remember, that "long" trigger pull is the safety.  ;)    

7. Reeks

Reeks New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Like they say use snap caps.  I like to practice pulling the trigger back to the 3/4 spot without it firing and keep practicing that.  Then when I go to the range I automatically pull it back to that position fast and then continue to slowly pull it until it fires.  This really helped my shooting.  I would never do this though if I had to pull it on someone.  I practice both ways.  But I am getting pretty good at the 3/4 fast pull though.  JMO

8. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.
    I like that 3/4 pull.  I didn't know what to call it.
    I can feel when it's at that point.

Charlie.

9. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Best of luck with your new P3AT.

There is definately a staging or transition in the trigger pull at about 3/4 pull. I play with it at times; it definately helps accuracy but since my P3ATs are SD guns I don't 'practice' the staging. Point and shoot, point and shoot....

Take care...

10. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Not personally but there is some other thread where somebody said a friend said his ND was because of the snap caps ... ;)

11. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    I call it "staging the trigger" but I don't know what it's really called.

IMO you do not want to practice at the range for defense this way, once staged it's too easy to make a mistake.

My "training" says finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire, on it while you're firing and off when you're done.