Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

How long can I expect the magazine catch to last?

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  shayes223 
#1 ·
I have been reading some of the posts, and I see that there are some metal magazine catches available? But, how long, with easy handling, can I expect my magazine catch to last on my new P3AT? (I have one stubborn magazine, which I tapped home with my palm a few times. I have been warned not to do that, and will not anymore. I will try to trim the base plate of the magazine to see if it improves.) I don't particularly need a "hobby" gun, and don't want to spend a lot of time upgrading the pistol - just want a relaible piece. So, do people find the catch to last a while?

So far, the magazine is the only problem I'm having with the gun. (One magazine works perfectly.) I don't plan to use this pistol a lot at the range - it just isn't fun, and that's not why I bought it. Any experiences with the catch would be appreciated.

Mike

#3 ·
Re: How long can I expect the magazine catch to la

Thanks for the reply. I'm very new to KTOG. Is there a link for "Beach?"

Is Beach one of the members here, or is it a place that sells stuff for the P3AT?

To install, I would need to remove the frame, right?

Mike

G
#5 ·

My 2nd Gen 3AT has approx 500 rounds.

I shoot at the range as close to what I anticipate I may have to do in self defense, hence...I SLAM my mags in.

From what I have heard and read , this is what you would probably do with an adrenaline dump and bullets flying past your head.

I had not had trouble with the catch until this weekend, when I dropped the mag on almost every other shot.

I am really glad to have already ordered two catches from Beach. I should be getting them in soon, and when they get here, I will review the video Beach posted here to see how he does the install.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoA4tb32UIs[/ame]

Beach also posted a nice video of how to remove the frame form the grip.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn0iM06KhHw[/ame]

G
#7 ·

Beach will answer you I am sure.

I may be wrong... but I think Beach is selling the 3at mag catches for $25.

He has a long list of guys like me that have already payed, just waiting for him to get the next batch in.

I think he persoanlly fits each release to make sure they work.

So if you want one, send him the $ and wait......

#15 ·

Get well RJ, more prayers sent.

Yes I test each one in a frame for funtion before they go out. Catches are $25 now, shipped. I have more in stock that will fill most if not all orders. I need to get off the internet, and get to work. ;D

#16 ·

MSZO said:
 But, how long, with easy handling, can I expect my magazine catch to last on my new P3AT?  

So, do people find the catch to last a while?

Mike
I read the burrs on the magazine notch causes the problem with the magazine catch.

I think if you smooth the three surfaces of the mag that hit the mag catch, the plastic catch will last forever.

At least I haven't seen any problem with them. But I smoothed the burrs off my mags. That would be top and bottom of the notch and the top of the mag where it catches first as the mag goes in.

I do have a couple of catches from beach. And they won't need to have the burrs taken off the mags.

JerryO

#17 ·

Hmmm. I'm not a gunsmith, but casual inspection of the magazines shows they are smooth. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to gently run a little 400 grit paper over the edges a few passes, and see if that helps. Thanks.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.