How has the turn around time been at KT Repair?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by chase, Jan 23, 2010.

1. chase

chase New Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Found some inexpensive .380 ammo at Cabellas a month ago and decided to work out with the P3AT. I am at the 700 round mark and after the session I went thru the complete cleaning process. (Pocket lint included) Noticed the recoil rod hole at the front of the slide was beginning to peen the edge of the hole outward. Grabbed the depth mic and it measured .010 high. Emailed KelTec and described my concern. The response was quick, "send it to us and we will fix it". Now understand, this is 700 FLAWLESS rounds thru this weapon, carried everyday and trusted, hope it will be the same upon return. These folks seem to care, I had the UPS tracking number and saw it was received and signed, about 8 hours later I received an email that had the repair order # attached:

Work Order: 138xx
    Date In: Fri Jan 22 14:39:02 2010
    Service Status: Please allow 4-6 weeks from Fri Jan 22 14:39:02 2010 for processing
    Ship Date: TBA
    Tracking: TBA
    Tracking Password: Hlaxxxxxxxxxxx
    Tracking URL: https://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/track.htm

Your Item will be returned via. UPS, Adult Signature Required. You will be notified by e-mail at:  xxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com of your tracking number when the shipping label is printed. A copy of the work order will be included with your serviced item.

Model: P-3AT 2nd Gen
    Serial: **858
    Type: P
    Caliber: .380
    Color: Black
    Finish: Blued
    Manufacturer: KT
    Actions Performed:
    Services Performed:

Description:
    Service Notes:
    Service Remarks:

Firearms are serviced on a first come first serve basis; priority is given to Active Duty Law Enforcement and Active Duty Military Service Personnel with proper identification.
    Thank You,
    Customer Service

In our continuing dedication to you, our valued customer, we offer you 20% off your total purchase of accessories/apparel from our web store at http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/cart2/!  Just enter in this promotional code at checkout to receive your discount! Discount code: KK55xxxx

Can you beat this??   ;D

2. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Re: How has the turn around time been at KT Repair

Excellent post. There has been a bit of KT bashing of late. It's good to hear from someone who appreciates the job they do.

Turn around seems to be 8-10 weeks. Hopefully that will drop once they get the new shop up and running.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

the guide rod hole peening is a fairly old problem over a short time.

the reported serial number range was from J0000 to JD000, did yours fall in that range?

here is one old post with that problem
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1203479576/0#0

there was an inexpensive fix using a nylon insert

4. chase

chase New Member

Dec 5, 2007

JFB:
    No, it is a later series than that, still a J first character tho..Understand, when I work out with a handgun, I work out hard. 100 rounds per weapon/day is not unusual, double taps and full magazine bursts at several targets. My job and lifestyle requires this attention to drill. This is why I selected the P3AT as a BUG and at times, as a primary weapon. Yes, I checked in on this website before purchasing and quickly decided that the 'Internet commandos' that posted here with problems were probably on their first gun and were somewhat clueless. Every firearms forum I visit has the same passing trash, once they vent their problems and are directed to the cure, they leave. Welcome to the internet, a great tool or a hopeless garbage can. We be good here.

jb

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

Since the gun is back at KT now, not any point in asking, but...Do you think the amount of metal you noticed might have been a little "work harding". I would only get concern if the diametrical clearance aproached the wire diameter of the inner spring.

the clearance there is a little tricky. as there must be sufficent lenght of the bore to provide slide strength, but as the length of the bore increases, the diametrical clearance must increase to allow for the tilting of the rod since rod is not parallel to slide travel

6. chase

chase New Member

Dec 5, 2007

JFB:
    Fair question. If the material is beginning to rise around the hole and is not concentric to the hole, then I would agree with the tilting issue. However, the wall thickness around the hole seems to be somewhat minimal, and the counterbore inside the slide is tapered, not flat as one would expect a spring pocket to be. Is this due to manufacturing constraints? Dunno, but the ideal solution would be to provide a heat treated washer that nested slightly on the inside of the outer diameter of a flat countersunk hole, creating a hardened spring seat, thus permitting the recoil rod hole to be slightly larger in diameter to allow the tilting of the rod in relationship to the barrel in full retreat during ejection.
    Yes, I would love to be an engineer for KelTec but I already have a great job as an R&D engineer located in the best place to be when the big poopy goes down. And yes, we CCW at work.

jb

7. B2Unit

B2Unit New Member

Nov 15, 2009

Turn round for me, as far as time gone till returned, (just a few weeks ago) was one month exactly but that was over the Christmas Holiday and through their (Keltec) "LEO/Military priority" repair. They repaired a pistol that I was not the original owner (I told them) with extensive problems and it now runs like a clock (1000 plus rounds later with zero failures) and did not charge me one penny.

I was frustrated with the issues that came up with this weapon but it was obvious, as I eventually learned, that the first owner did not follow some basic "kel tec" guidelines and I have been very pleased since.

Cheers
    B2

8. Maurice419

Maurice419 New Member

Nov 12, 2009

Wow, when I told them my bran new Sub2000 was broken they just said send it back. No labels, no discounts, nada! And this was new in a box! well go figure. [smiley=sad.gif]