Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Interesting!

I went through and found some pretty fast cars we have owned over the years.
68 Charger - 4.7 - 13.3
75 Trans Am - 9.6 - 16.5.
85 Monti S/S - 7.7 - 15.7
T-Bird Super-Coupe - 7.1 - 15.5

Then I got to my new 2011 Dodge Hemi 4x4 pick-m-up truck.
They don't show the 2011 yet, but the 2009 4x4 was 6.6 - 15.0.
And this ones way faster then the one I had then!

rc

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
How about the slowest car? I had a 1982 Volkswagen Rabbit diesel. They don't list that year but it must be about the same:

1979 Volkswagen Rabbit (Diesel) 0-60 mph 21.2 Quarter mile 21.9

G2S

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
guru, That's funny, I had a Rabbit back in '90. At 65MPH the whole thing would just shake, rattle and roll up I-95.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
my toy 0to60 is .8 1/4 mile 7.5 at 200 mph but it is not much of a daily driver

·
Registered
328 Posts
I did not see anything in your link that gave times for bikes, my Triumph Rocket III does 0-60 mph in 2.8 seconds. Not too bad for a bone stock 800 pound road bike.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I have a bathroom scale that goes 0 to 230 in .5 seconds.

Life is short, be happy
Jack

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I have a bathroom scale that goes 0 to 230 in .5 seconds.

Life is short, be happy
Jack
I have you beat, but I do not know if that makes me the winner or not?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Some of my last daily driver cars:

2000 Acura 3.2TL 0-60 mph 6.6 Quarter mile 15.0
1993 Honda Accord SE 0-60 mph 9.7 Quarter mile 17.2
1996 Infiniti J30 0-60 mph 8.9 Quarter mile 16.6
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe 0-60 mph 9.0 Quarter mile 16.6
1996 Saturn SL2 0-60 mph 8.5 Quarter mile 16.5

The site didn't have anything on my first 2 cars: an '84 Mercedes 240D & an '82 Mercedes 300SD

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I have you beat, but I do not know if that makes me the winner or not?
I suppose we could handicap it be hight.

Life is short (so am I), be happy
Jack

·
Registered
139 Posts
I did not see anything in your link that gave times for bikes, my Triumph Rocket III does 0-60 mph in 2.8 seconds. Not too bad for a bone stock 800 pound road bike.
CBR600RR, very comparable in times.

I drag race with about 20 other people.

all at the same time.

all in the same lane.

gets my heart pounding just thinking about it.

or it could be that cookie i just ate. hard to tell.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
guru, That's funny, I had a Rabbit back in '90. At 65MPH the whole thing would just shake, rattle and roll up I-95.
I had a 2000 VW GTi (which is a turbo-charged Golf - and the Golf was basically the original Rabbit, renamed.) It was a five speed and that thing would haul butt pretty well. Handled great, too and was surprisingly roomy and comfortable for a small hatchback. Too bad it was a lemon. I bought it used and ended up trading it back after about a month - during which time the windshield wipers quit working, the brake lights quit working, cruise control quit working, the turn signals quit working and it developed a leak in the coolant system.

I traded it for a (also used) zinc yellow 2001 Ford Mustang GT which I still have. The list says that the '01 Bulllitt GT does 0-60 in 5.5. However, Ford supposedly reworked the intake on the Bullitt so that it breathed better and boosted HP by a little bit (probably no more than 5hp to the wheels, I am guessing.) That said, I have a fender mounted 'cold air intake' which probably gives about the same (minimal) increase so mine will probably do it in 5.5, too. Thing is, I don't generally drive it like a 'sporty car' - which, I guess, is why I have gotten as much as 26mpg from a V8 Mustang (usually average closer to 24mpg, though.) My 4WD Dodge 1500 gets about half that so in the summer, when I drive the Mustang, the decreases expenditure for gas almost makes it feel like driving an 'economy car'. That GTi got closer to 29-30 mpg but it required Premium Unleaded (because of the turbo and factory 'performance' tuning) while the Mustang will drink Regular Unleaded and never complain so the V8 Mustang doesn't really cost any more in gas - maybe even a little less - than the compact, hatchback GTi.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I was bored and stumbled on this older thread... my patrol car is a '80 or '81 Dodge St. Regis with a 5.2 (318) V8 with a 2 barrel carb!
I know because I took the air cleaner lid off and looked, because I was chasing a 70's Camaro one night and he left me in his dust! I did an informal 0 to 60 run with a stop watch and was not too surprised to see about 14.5 seconds- the car FELT slow. The '79 St. Regis's were not bad with their 5.9 (360) V8's, they actually felt faster than the "78 Dodge Monaco's with the big block 440's. The '80-'81 St. Regis's topped out at 95 mph with those big, square light bars, too.
The Dept. went with the smaller and lighter Dodge Diplomats in 1982, and the 5.2 V8's were ok then.

The '79 Ford Fairmont was the 2nd slowest car I've owned which I acquired used in 1983 after my ex and I split up... I needed a car fast and this low mileage Ford was CHEAP and well cared for by a little old man from Pasadena...;)
The Ford had every power option except POWER- it had a 2.3 Pinto motor! I never bothered to time it 0-60 because I didn't need to know how slow it was, but it would cruise ALL day at 75-80 mph on the freeway! My '81 VW Rabbit diesel pick up was slower, but it didn't feel like it. Maybe because it was quieter than the Ford at full throttle.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
I was kinda surprised to see the quarter mile times between my two vehicles only differ by exactly two seconds. But maaaaaan, compared to my Mustang, that extra three seconds of getting up to 60 in that little Ranger seems to take fooooorrrevvvvvverrrrrrrrr! (Of course, it helps that my Mustang isn't stock, but I don't think an aftermarket intake and exhaust make THAT big of a difference...)

1997 Ranger - 9.7 / 17.1 seconds
1996 Mustang GT - 6.7 / 15.1 seconds

·
Registered
611 Posts
My 2003 Jetta 1.8T is supposed to take 7.1 for 0-60 and 15.1 in the quarter....mines not stock though :p

Looked up my last car: 1997 3.8l Camaro. Site says 7.3 0-60 and 15.5 quarter.

The Camaro was definitely faster than the jetta...then again, it had a lot of mods done to it, and did low 14s on street tires B-)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
A reprint, but it fits here too. :)

So, I'm sitting at a red light on Ga. 400. I'm at the white line. Clear open road in front of me. 350 horses under the hood, and all the torque I need. I watch the lights for the cross road go from green to yellow to red, then my red to green. Just like the drag race Christmas trees. I get the green and don't even bother with the clutch, just snatch first and stab the peddle. Before the lurch is over, I slam it into second and again stab the fuel. Let the engine run half way up, then off the fuel, yank the shift back to third and floor it. I let third wind up to red line and catch 4th. Red line 4th and 5th. Sounds like banshies chained under the hood. As I'm about to catch 6th, I'm almost to the other side of the intersection, and already up to 18 miles per hour. I won't break 50 until I crest that hill, and start down the other side, but I'll get all the way up to 62 before the governor kicks in.
Such is life in a 6 wheeled, 75,000 lbs mixer truck. Week in, week out, I average 11 to 12 miles per hour total, 30-32 mph rolling time, and almost 3.5 mpg. 11 forward gears, two that go over 35 mph.

lop

1 - 20 of 22 Posts