Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
You were lucky to find any at any price.

I was at my LGS yesterday and was told they had reports of range ammo selling for over $1/round. They were charging $.50/round and thought that was too much. But I don't know what they paid for it and they need to make a profit or they are out of business.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
You guys might consider reloading. 12 years ago when I stopped being able to buy WWB 9mm for 10 cents a round I invested in reloading. Yhinags were a bit cheaper then but the prica of ammo has gone up a lot more than the equipment.

These prices are Midway;

$216 - Lee Classic 4 hole turret press
$ 50 - 4 die set
$ 70 - lead pot
$ 22 - 2 cavity bullet mold

$358 = 18 boxes of ammo at $20 per.

I look at it this way - new die set & turret plate, 3 boxes, bullet mold - one box.

I find the part number on Lee & search ebay. I can usually save a little money & worst case pay full price but get the shipping for free.

Another plus to ebay is you can find out of production molds. Took me about a year but a 85 grain .311 wadcutter mold came up in my search, been out of production for a decade.

Lee is decent quality & cost effective.

I've got a source of free lead so I'm out only primer & powder, I figure for most of my stuff I'm at 5 - 10 cents a round depending on how much powder. 45 Colt takes more than 32 mag & 38 spl is right in the middle.

Got the dies for 9mm but haven't run thru my stash of ammo yet so that one is still in the box.

The thing that really ticks me off is that I got a matched pair of Marlin Bolt guns in 22 & 22 mag so I could shoot distance cheap. That was just before all ammo skyrocketed & 22 never came back down. GRRRRRRRRR!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Just a thanks to all who responded to my question. Much appreciated and I have found several solutions from the suggestions. Nothing like shooters helping shooters.

A great Forum

·
Registered
131 Posts
I like Holosun or Primary Arms. Not too expensive and the quality is high.

I never polished the ramp. I put thousands of rounds through mine in competition and saw no wear in the plastic ramp. But those rounds also mostly had polymer coated RN bullets. But the last time I had it apart I had the MCarbo metal feed ramp on hand so I installed it. It'll last forever since I bet I don't have 300 rounds through it since. It just sits in the safe unused. It's been replaced as my comp' PCC.
what is your current competition PCC? i am looking at a LeadStar Arms 9mm Prime PCC.

·
Registered
587 Posts
what is your current competition PCC? i am looking at a LeadStar Arms 9mm Prime PCC.
Today I'm shooting a B&T GHM9, but as with all competition guns I own, it's been tricked out as much as possible. I installed a Gisselle trigger, and for competition I put a compensator on it to counteract muzzle flip as much as possible. Too, it's an SBR and that lack of barrel length gives me virtually nothing to guide around barriers and no barrel mass to stop and get going again. The GHM9 is blowback. If I had to do it over again and was made of money I'd go with one of their gas operated guns.

Below is a pic of it pretty much as it is today. The sight has been moved back closer to the eye, but that's about it. If I remember correctly I did that to make room for a 300mw green laser that can be attached near the muzzle on the right side. It gets affixed (QD mount) when I have close up targets in a stage, since it's faster to not shoulder the gun if I don't need to. But otherwise it adds too much mass and stays off the gun. The laser is the size of a 2 AA cell flashlight and draws so much juice that it can only run off of a Li-Ion rechargeable cell. It runs off of a fresh CR123 for about 10 seconds.

I just looked up the Leadstar. It's (IMO) headed in the right direction with so much mass removed. You'll be able to take that into most states. My SBR I can only take into free states and only after giving ATF a heads up. But in my case I only shoot local matches anyway. I bought it mostly because I wanted a Swiss made gun for as long as I can remember and competition was just the excuse I used. A convenient excuse, but an excuse. But frankly, my S2k is so tricked out that if I ever took it out of state for a match I wouldn't feel one bit undergunned against the high priced PCCs. It's accurate, light, fast, and I never had a malfunction with it when feeding it brass cased ammo. With aluminum cases it's a jammamatic. The major reason I stopped using it was that it was drummed into me that a gun is either clean or dirty. The S2k is just too difficult to clean inside the lockwork. I would flush it out as best I could and keep my fingers crossed.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts