Featured How does one unfold the 2000 and

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by Gort, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Gort

Gort Member

Sep 9, 2020
    How does one unfold the Sub 2000 and look graceful?

New to this forum. Not new to firearms been shooting since I was 15. I own 2 Kel Tec products. An old P32 and a Sub 2000 multi mag.

So again I would like to know if there is an easy way to unfold the Sub 2000, and for lack of a better explanation, look graceful doing it. Sorry if this has been discussed before. If so just direct me to the thread. Or am I the only one who looks awkward unfolding a 2000? I do love the gun so far, looks very cool. Just that I don't look cool unfolding it lol...Also I am 77 and maybe that contributes to the awkwardness of unfolding.

Mine is new and also rather tight. Do they losen up much after use...not that one wants a firearm that is lose just wondering if they break in like a break open shotgun

2. Steve Saunders

Steve Saunders Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Everybody at the range is like so WTF is THAT?! that no one is paying attention to the gracefulness or lack thereof of the unfolding. Don't sweat it.

3. Adjutant

Adjutant Member

Aug 29, 2020
    Hey Gort,
    I dont mean to be unkind, but do you know how to unfold it? I mean, youre capable of getting it open?

The reason I ask is because when I first held a Sub2K a few years back, I didnt know that the trigger guard was the release. Everyone had a good laugh, and I learned QUICKLY how to unfold it.

4. Gort

Gort Member

Sep 9, 2020
    Ha, ha. I am fully aware of how to unfold it. It just seems that it is not as "user friendly" as it should be. Perhaps it is just me. It definitely does not unfold in any sort of "ready position"...unless you know something I don't. Which is quite possible as I am new to this weapon. If you do, please explain.

5. Gort

Gort Member

Sep 9, 2020

So not to be unkind I don't believe what you say is accurate.

I just reread your post. I believe you are mistaken. The trigger guard is the release to fold it not to release it to unfold. So you may well be the one that is still having problems. Ha, ha not to be unkind.

6. SixFootCow

SixFootCow Member

Oct 1, 2019
    They do loosen up with use. I have noticed that my first contact is with my non trigger hand going for the latch area with the barrel pointing up. After the pointer finger/thumb activation of the latch, the rear sort of falls back and by then my trigger hand is on the grip. Both hands now where they should be snaps it into deployed status only after twirling around and clicking my heels twice. The first part is true. The last part might be as well. Oh yeah, slap it into battery!

7. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

One thing to suggest. If you disable the latch you can just grip the forearm & grip & unfold.

The original SUB9 didn't have a latch. Just a detent pin & a recess in the rear of the front sight. S9 on left S2K First Gen on right.

subs stocks sights.jpg

8. Gort

Gort Member

Sep 9, 2020
    That is very interesting. I may not use it that way but I will definitely try it out. What a amazing and interesting weapon.

9. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

The Subbie was originally marketed to law enforcement in the late '90s. A tad bit late as the AR platform took that market completely. The SUB9/40, Ruger PC9/PC4 & the Marlin Camp9/45 were all victims of that market shift.

Both the Ruger & Marlin were conventional looking weapons. The Ruger was designed with a lot of M1 Carbine influence & the Marlins had very nice wood furniture. End of an era I guess. :(

KelTec redesigned, used a lot more plastic, cut the price point in half & the Sub 2000 was born & marketed to the general public. That's when the locking barrel latch was born.

Ruger & Marlin both dropped their lines. Ruger recently brought the name back with a new take down carbine that has only the caliber in common with the original. :soap:

10. Adjutant

Adjutant Member

Aug 29, 2020
    No problem, it just seems like an incredibly vain thing to be concerned about. Im not sure if you go to the range all decked out in tacticool gear with pseudo unit patches on your jacket.
    But you do you, and continue to wonder how to look cooler to total strangers.

One last thought. At 77, youre probably not doing "well" in the muscle strength and coordination department.

11. Gort

Gort Member

Sep 9, 2020
    Well again you are wrong. You seem to not like to be told you made a mistake. your answer sounds a little hostile. Yes I am 77 and am 5'9". I weigh 178 lbs. I run, or should I say jog 3 miles twice a week. I work out at my gym 3 times a week. Still able to do 50 push ups and I am sure I can do more but 50 is part of my routine, as I am not trying to set records just keep healthy and fit. I hope you are in as good condition when you are my age. Able to bench 160 lbs. To be honest none of that is your business but I just want to inform you that you are wrong yet again. Some people make a habit of it although not intentionally. Just trying to make clear here that I have no infirmities because of my age. lol

Now back to the main topic here. When I mention unfolding the Sub 2000 I mean to be able to unfold and get it into ready position in a coordinated. Sorry if the word graceful offended you. I feel that it is not an easy weapon to present in a quick and, perhaps I should have said, smooth way. It is like working out. If you do it correctly you can reap the rewards of your efforts. However if you do it incorrectly you not only waste your time but can injure oneself.

I just wonder why you are so upset and posted what I felt was a ball busting post because I corrected what you posted as unfolding the Sub 2000 usisng the trigger guard, as releasing the trigger guard has nothing to do with unfolding the Sub 2000 . Is it because I corrected you on your mistake? If so. You have a a lot to learn as far as taking constructive criticism. Also you probably just made a misquote or just formed your sentence incorrectly.That being the case I would have not even commented onit. But it was your attitude to my post that irked me, nothing else. The last thing I do is come to these forums to argue. I come here to learn as well as help when possible.

It has always been a part part of my training with weapons to be smooth safe in all presentations of your weapons. Now before you say something else let me explain. i do not mean I have a trainer. It is just that I practice will all of my firearms and edged weapons as I not only enjoy them as a hobby but I have them for what they are, a defensive deterrent when needed. I also appreciate and respect anyone else who shares the same outlooks. That is not to mean that I demean anyone who just uses their firearms as a hobby. I respect that and I feel it is a healthy and American right to enjoy them as a hobby and enjoyment as I have many friends who do just that. However after 3 tours in Viet Nam (compliments of Uncle Sam) I have learned what such weapons can and cannot do. So in ending I just like to say. I like to be very competent with all of my firearms and edged weapons.

ajfkdem1 likes this.
  12. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

When I got my first Subbie it took what seems to be forever to get it thru my head that to fold it I had to lift up on the fore end rather than pull down as in opening a shotgun.

13. rex_havok

rex_havok Member

Apr 8, 2020
    unfolding is a little ungraceful regardless, but I think the most coordinated way to do it is to hold the folded rifle with left hand, place it folded into your right hand with the buttstock around the inside of your right elbow and the grip in your right, actuate the release lever (ideally with the rapid deploy latch from mcarbo) with your left hand, and raise the barrel section up and over into place. making that series of moves smooth and fluid improves with practice....

14. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    Maybe not graceful, but very interesting...

I would have a drop dead gorgeous woman do it for me. Graceful or not, no one will notice anything other than her. Maybe a member of the Swedish Bikini Team.

http://www.uspsa2.org/sbt.htm

See what you guys miss out on if you don't shoot competitively?

dred likes this.
  15. Gort

Gort Member

Sep 9, 2020
    Thanks for the information. I will try and implement said information. Much appreciated.

16. Gort

Gort Member

Sep 9, 2020
    I have gotten a few good responses...however I have to say that this one has a, well it has, it is the best, or it is like the best ever, best yea that is what I mean it is like the bestest ever idea. I did not know this was an option...but it is the best. Ha, ha. :ty:

17. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
  18. ajfkdem1

ajfkdem1 Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I look at it this way. It doesn't really matter if you unfold it with grace. What matters is what you do with it once it is unfolded. And, with you experience, I don't think you need to worry about that. Case in point...my Dad once took a trip to Morroco. He decided to try riding a camel. Mom says he looked like a ruptured duck on skates on ice getting on an up. But he looked like Lawrence of Arabia once he got going.

19. unodemo

unodemo Member

Dec 27, 2019
    Texas
    "How does one unfold the Sub 2000 and look graceful?"

1. Unzip and take the folded gun from something like a computer bag with your right hand.
    2. Set the bag down to your left.
    3. Bring your right hand to the grip and put the butt stock where it will seat in your shoulder. (Think low ready position)
    4. Reach over with your left hand and slide the lock upwards to release the barrel.
    5. In one smooth move, rotate the barrel assembly with your left hand into the locked position. Practice this at home is a safe space.
    6. Draw a mag from your belt carrier and lock it into the S2K mag well.
    7. Pull back the bolt with your left hand and release it to chamber a round.
    8. Bring the gun up, safety off, aim, and fire several shots. (Preferably in the target. The tighter the group, the better. Flyers will make everyone go back to what they were doing.)
    9. When you're done, reverse the process

Most important of all; *do not pay any attention* to everyone saying h**y s***t! what was that? Just do your work like it's just another day at the range.

I do this on a regular basis at my LGR and that sound of a PCC racking off a few well targeted rounds turns heads.

Also, get a couple of the ProMag 30+ round mags. It'll look like you're in zombie apocalypse training.

I put a linear comp on mine to add to the dramatic effect.

Razzle likes this.
  20. Gort

Gort Member

Sep 9, 2020
    Wow! This may sound silly. But Numbers 3, 4 an 5 really work great with a little practice.

Again when I used the word "graceful" I should have used the word "smooth". Again thanks

John

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    unodemo likes this.