How does Federal lightning's run in the SU22?

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by okrIII, Aug 24, 2010.

1. okrIII

okrIII New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Has anyone used the federal lightning rounds in there Su or plr?  Wallmart used to have them in the red box for $.96 but quit carrying it and went to the blue box classics.  Well looking today and they had the lightnings back $1.47.  That makes it cheaper than the bulk packs.  The old ones worked well it my mountin eagle and 10/22.  The top pic is the old box lower the new.  They are 40 grain solid with muz vel 1240 FPS.
    [​IMG]

2. SuperChris

SuperChris New Member

Aug 9, 2009
    I can't say that I have fired those, but I love the federal bulk ammo that walmart sales, 36 grain and 1260fps at the muzzle, 550 rounds for some where around $15. I have never had a problem with the bulks in any of my .22s

3. Alwaysprepared

Alwaysprepared New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    OKR,
    You could have just asked me ;D! YOUR particular 22 will eat everything except golden bullet. it loves Federal bulk and smaller packages and CCI mini mags, velocitors.

4. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I have Federal Lightning ammo in my 50+ ammo varieties to try, but I haven't tried it yet.

Which local Walmart sells the boxes of Federal Lightening for $1.47/50? Warning! I'm asking because I'm planning on cleaning them out. If you don't want the competition, you shouldn't have posted! :)

5. okrIII

okrIII New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I was at north park on Tuesday and cleened the glass case out (20 boxes). But they said they had more under the counter.

6. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I'll see if I can pick some up - I'm going to do a big ammo test this weekend.

7. okrIII

okrIII New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Got to fire my new to me su22 today.  I had all of my mags filled with bulk pack federals when I started (2 x 15 rounders, 2 x 26 rounders and 1 got 27 rounds in).  All fired fine but shooting spinning metal targets at 50 yards is optmistic.  I opened up the lightnings and loaded up.  I had my bolt action, Taurus 94 and my su22.  I had not a fail to fires out of 260 lighning rounds fired. I did have some failed to feed in my su22.  When I had the ftf the hammer did not lock back and came froward with the bolt.  I had one smiley and about 6 that did not chamber all the way.  I think cleaning will solve the ftf problem.  And I might have to look at a trigger job while I am at it.  Altough I did not notice the trigger pull as bad shooting as I did on test pulls.  The ftf on the lightnings maybe do to the lead tip not being copper clad.  I need to do some more testing. ::)

8. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Congratulations on the new SU-22! Depending on how many rounds were through it when you bought it, a few more bulk pack boxes of ammo downrange may polish things up. It's a fun way to do a fluff & buff!

The lead bullets may be dragging on the feed ramp. The lead bullets on the Blazer ammo seem OK in my SU-22C, but they have a thick and very hard wax coating.

9. okrIII

okrIII New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Have you ever used a putty knive to scrap off grease and dirt off of a lawnmower,tractor, or any other piece of equipment?  That was what it was like cleaning my su.  I used a small 1/8" screwdriver and was rolling the gunk off in the reciever.  I gave up and pulled the rails out to get into it better.  The reciever is spot less now.  I hit the ramp with some 400 grit paper to polish it up while it was out.  I hope it will work again. ::)  Tonight I might pull the stock apart and clean the trigger group.  I should of taken pics but got to envoled to quickly.  The receiver is a 3d jigsaw puzzle with 6 pieces, two sides two rails one suport for the back and the ramp.  The trick is the mag release spring.  I don't know how meny rounds alwaysbprepared had ran though this su but the ramp had no ware marks and just some finish off of the rails.

10. akajimmy

akajimmy New Member

May 4, 2010
    My Dad had given me his Ruger mkII. I took it apart to clean it. I pretty mch had to clean it the same way. I asked him about it. He had only completely disassembled it once, because it was a ***** to put back together.
    WHich it was. But thats a different story.

11. okrIII

okrIII New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Finely got to shoot my clean su-22 with my trigger job(4.5#). Ran 109 rounds of the lightnings with 0.0000 failures. Was sighting in the cheap scope also.