Featured How do I replace the grip on my p32?

Discussion in 'P-32' started by 4given, Sep 22, 2017.

1. 4given

4given Member

Sep 19, 2017
    So the used p32 I am getting has a pink grip. I think I might want to replace it with a different color. I found the grips here on the Kel tec website. https://www.keltecweapons.com/p-32-grip-available-in-black-gray-or-olive-1058

How do I replace my pinks grip with one of these? I have searched for instructions on youtube and on this site but have come up empty. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. theduke

theduke Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Warminster Pa
    P32 P3AT pretty much the same. When you take the frame out of the grip, replace with new grip. The trick is getting the hammer block correct, he uses a small punch to push it forward.

3. 4given

4given Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Nice! Thanks a bunch.

P-32 Grip comes with the following parts assembled in grip:

•P32-205 Magazine Catch.
    •P32-208 Magazine Catch Spring.
    •P32-272 Hammer Block.
    •P32-273 Hammer Block Spring.
    •P32-270 Hammer Block Axis.
    •P32-202 Frame Pin (Quantity: 2)

So it should go pretty easy. I'll bet somebody will buy my pink grip to do one for the woman in their life!

4. WildWes

WildWes Member Supporter

Sep 9, 2004
    Wayne County, GA
    They've already done the hard part 4given. Galloway Precision has a video tutorial on how to disassemble a Ruger LCP to install a new trigger. The Ruger LCP was basically copied from the P3aT, so I used this video to install new triggers in my P3aT and P-32. This will also give you the opportunity to fluff and buff the inner components.

06.09.17-stripped.jpg

5. theduke

Dec 1, 2005
    Warminster Pa
  6. WildWes

WildWes Member Supporter

Sep 9, 2004
    Wayne County, GA
    Thanks for posting the video theduke. If you're just interested in exchanging the inner frame with the new outer frame 4given, up to 2:40 will be all you need to do, except reverse the process to assemble. Good luck with the new frame.

theduke likes this.
  7. 4given

4given Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Thanks a bunch folks! I'll let you know how it goes. They are supposed to be shipping the pistol today. Shouldn't take too long from Montana to Idaho I wouldn't think.

8. cnj

cnj Member

Sep 26, 2017
    I also purchased a used P-32. I think if mine would have come with the pink outer frame, I'd rock it as-is. I am a strong supporter of saving the Ta-Ta's (boy, am I ever! LOL), so I'd show it off proudly!

9. 4given

4given Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Well here it is in all it's glory! Nice tight little pistol. If you look closely at the picture, either the grip is dirty with carbon or the pink is kinda wearing off. I don't know if the kel tec grips are painted or solid color. Looks like that might be a chip in the grip near the muzzle. Looking at this one I might just remove the frame and paint the grip black with Krylon Fusion and call it good. I don't want to invest $45 for a new colored frame just to have the paint rub off in my pocket anyway. I talked 'em down a tad and got it for $135 so I may want to just keep it a bargain and not put any more money into it.

Before I do anything I want to run some rounds through it and see how it operates. I have a couple of boxes of Fiocchi 73 gr FMJ's to try.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  10. cnj

cnj Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Nice! Congrats on getting a great deal!

11. theduke

Dec 1, 2005
    Warminster Pa
    I may be wrong but I thought the older colored grips were solid and not painted. I have a green P11 grip that is solid green. Maybe someone else here could shed some light.

12. 4given

4given Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Well, I took the slide off and these grips have definitely been painted. Also if you look at the lower pin in the grip it has been painted over. I think I will just paint it with some Krylon fusion and go from there.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  13. 4given

4given Member

Sep 19, 2017
    I just realized it is a Gen 1. The new grips would not fit anyway. I hope it runs OK.

14. 4given

4given Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Gen 1 for sure:

[​IMG]

15. 4given

4given Member

Sep 19, 2017
    I painted it last night with Krylon Fusion Ultra Flat Olive. Looks a lot better!

I'm going to let it cure for a few days before I re assemble it. Thanks everybody for your input and the instruction on how to tear it down this far.

[​IMG]

16. WildWes

WildWes Member Supporter

Sep 9, 2004
    Wayne County, GA
    Nice - looks like a new factory grip.

17. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Let us know how the fusion holds up. I have seen multiple posts from the past where fusion wore off fairly quickly with daily carry. Of course touch-ups could be easily done.

4given likes this.
  18. 4given

4given Member

Sep 19, 2017
    I suspect I will have to touch it up from time to time. I have read that the longer you let the fusion cure, the durable it becomes. Surface prep is also vital of course. I put traction grips on it last night. That should help. I also have a sticky holster I will use so that might help as well.

I'll be sure to let you all know how it holds up. I will finish the fluff & buff tonight and hopefully get it to the range tomorrow.

19. 4given

4given Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Well the krylon is not sticking well to the old pink paint. I am going to try soda blasting the grips to remove all paint. If this fails, does anyone know where I can get gen 1 grips?

20. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    1st Gen grips haven't been made for more than a decade and there is no source. If you send a warranted 1st Gen to KT service, and it needs any of the 1st Gen only parts, they send you a new 2nd Gen pistol. You may occasionally see various parts come up on GunBroker and similar sites.

I was afraid the Krylon wouldn't stick. I've seen that before. If the powder blasting works, it's probably black underneath the pink paint. You may end up having to Duracoat it or something similar. There are various kits out there but Ive never done that. Maybe someone can suggest something. Of course there are places you could send it off to, for a nominal fee.