Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been addressed here before, I did a search and couldn’t find anything. Do I need a hammer and punch to get these things out or what? I’m compressing the detente pin and pushing but it’s not going anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

·
Super Moderator
10,061 Posts
I haven't had any trouble with the pins on my KS7. They're firm, but I haven't found it too difficult to take down the shotgun for cleaning. All of the comments I recall about takedown pins on the KS7 were a couple of complaints about them walking out.

If you have a brass punch, you should be able to tap out the pins without any trouble. I'll usually push out pins with the 8-32 end of a bore brush.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't had any trouble with the pins on my KS7. They're firm, but I haven't found it too difficult to take down the shotgun for cleaning. All of the comments I recall about takedown pins on the KS7 were a couple of complaints about them walking out.

If you have a brass punch, you should be able to tap out the pins without any trouble. I'll usually push out pins with the 8-32 end of a bore brush.
Oh my gosh. I can’t get either of these pins out to save my life, no matter what I do. I’m afraid to use a hammer, but I don’t know what else to try at this point.

·
Registered
380 Posts
On a new gun the pins can be tight enough to need a punch and a tap with a hammer to get them started.
They can also be hard to get back in.
For some reason turning the pin slightly as you push it back in can help.

As the gun is used they'll loosen up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I hate to even post this, but you do see that they can only come out one way? Mine can be pushed out by hand. I don't even mess with the little spring on the end. Try taking the back end of a screwdriver or a piece of wood and pushing on the tapered end. it should start at least til it is flush, leaving enough on the head side to grab and remove. if you have a soft mallet would be my next step. but they shouldn't take any real force once they move a little.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I hate to even post this, but you do see that they can only come out one way?
When diagnosing from afar and unable to be there to observe one must begin at the very basics. You beat me to it. It's like "Why doesn't my light work?". First make sure it's plugged in; assume nothing.

I use the end of a plastic chamber flag to push them out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol! Yes, I was aware of that. It took a lot of finessing, but I was finally able to work them out. After installing my extended butt pad and reassembling, I took them back out and they definitely came out a lot easier. Thanks for the advice, guys!

·
Registered
963 Posts
FWIW, this is what I use for my "takedown tool" since I'm never far from one. There are others that are just as rugged so this is just an idea and not a suggested purchase.

BTW, for competition the chamber flags I now use are much easier to insert and remove than the above for both 9mm and rimfire .22. It consists of a cable tie formed into a loop and one of these flags held by that formed loop.

Again, just an idea and not a suggested purchase.

But I still have a mess of the far above chamber "flags" in my range bag and at least one chamber flag for a bullpup.

·
Registered
152 Posts
One thing I've found with both my KS7 and my RDB-S is that because these are plastic parts mated to metal parts using the pins, sometimes the plastic will shift slightly and "pinch" the takedown pins in place making them really tough to get in and out. The best way to resolve it is to patiently pull and twist the plastic parts in different ways relative to each other to see if they shift minutely and the pins get freed up. It's usually almost an imperceptible shift, but when the holes are accurately aligned the pins move freely.

ymmv

·
Registered
4 Posts
One thing I've found with both my KS7 and my RDB-S is that because these are plastic parts mated to metal parts using the pins, sometimes the plastic will shift slightly and "pinch" the takedown pins in place making them really tough to get in and out. The best way to resolve it is to patiently pull and twist the plastic parts in different ways relative to each other to see if they shift minutely and the pins get freed up. It's usually almost an imperceptible shift, but when the holes are accurately aligned the pins move freely.

ymmv
I noticed the same. Sometimes it seems my KS-7 pins won't budge and/or go back in. By wiggling the plastic a bit they come out easily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.