how do i know if my p3at is new?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gaKelTechMan, Aug 8, 2009.

1. gaKelTechMan

gaKelTechMan New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Long story short i was on a list for a p3at and i got the call yesterday that it came in..  i am a little suspicous though if this is a new gun or not.  I couldn't find a date any where that said when it was made and also the box was already opened when i got there.  the gun wasnt in any type of plastic bag like i normally get guns in.  Also the gun case it came in was really scratched up.  also the mag drops out really easy.  i shined a light down the mag well and the mag catch appears to be worn down.  last thing i noticed is the little raised pieces on the grip has some that are flattened..

i havent shot the gun yet but i love the way it feels..   am i being paranoid or might i bought a used gun that was trying to be passed as a new gun?  

any info would be great..thank you

2. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    The best advice I can offer is for you to take the gun apart and look at the slide rails and the slide itself. Look for signs of wear that would not come from just customers checking the gun out. Maybe on the receipt it will say if the gun is used or not. Best of luck!

3. KelTekCajun

KelTekCajun New Member

May 11, 2006
    Acadiana
    Not trying to crap on your parade, my friend, but maybe you should have asked before buying.

4. gaKelTechMan

gaKelTechMan New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    yeah i should of asked the store.  I just kind of assumed it was new because when i went to the store and asked if he had any he said no but he should be getting some in soon.. then he called me and said they came in, but still i guess that could mean one came in that someone traded.  

i searched on serial numbers and saw how to tell what number gun it was but this still doesnt help to know how new it is.

if anyone knows what date and serial number they got there new gun at then please compare it to mine.. my serial number starts with kbv**.

also i took the gun apart and it doesnt really appear to have to much wear on the slide but i dont know how much it should have..

is it common for at the front of the gun that you can move the slide and barrel away from the poly body slightly.. maybe like a 1/16" of give.  

sorry for all the questions but i am new to small guns with poly frames..  the only other guns i have are a 1911, ar15, and various hunting rifles and shootguns..

5. KelTekCajun

KelTekCajun New Member

May 11, 2006
    Acadiana
    The give and play you have there is normal. These little pistols are not built to the exacting tolerance of an AR. If you have an problems with you P-3, just ask away. We are here to help you out in your time of KelTec need. Gee, I think I made us sound like a bunch of Weight Watchers members! ;D

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

6. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    KT's aren't wrapped in plastic when new. KB sounds like a recent production serial number. You can call Kel-Tec on Monday and they'll tell you the day it was made.

7. gaKelTechMan

gaKelTechMan New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    thank you all for the very quick replies.  i will call them on monday to see how new it is.  thanks again

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

there would have been 12,700 P3ATS made between yours and the one listed from late may

the production rate use to be arount 1,000 / week. thus yours would be about 13 weeks after late May

It seems as though yours came straight from the factory :eek:

9. gaKelTechMan

gaKelTechMan New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    AWSOME...thats really good news... hot off the press!

i guess i was over examining the gun way too much! i have never had a gun that wasnt all metal before..  (or if it wasnt all metal it was wood)  

i am also very glad there is a forum like this one.. having support from others is just as good if not better than having factory support.. which from what i read seems kel tec has great factory support as well...

thanks again for your help!  now i just need to go shoot the gun.  the only ammo i could find was some remington umc 88g jhp.  hopefully it will work for testing but i need to find some better stuff for when i get my CC permit.

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Ohh, that is just my calculated Guess.

Call the factory and let us know. It will be a check to see if production has increased or still the same

11. gaKelTechMan

gaKelTechMan New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    oh ok... i will definitly let you know what they say when i call monday

12. Rick1968

Rick1968 New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I bought one last Wensday and mine starts with KBL

13. Fiah

Fiah New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Just bought one this weekend and mine starts with KC.. must be fairly new.

14. TrapperTrent

TrapperTrent New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    KBT53 = July 2009 0n my gun

From: Kel-Tec Customer Service [mailto:contact2@kel-tec-cnc.com]
    Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 7:37 AM
    To: Trent B. Pearson
    Subject: Re: Contact request from KEL-TEC CNC parts and accessories online store

made in july, 2009
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: Kel-Tec Customer service
    Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2009 6:09 AM
    Subject: Contact request from KEL-TEC CNC parts and accessories online store

Good Morning,

My name is Trent Pearson of Alburnett, Iowa. Recently after being on a call list with a local gun shop, I finally received a call that a P-3AT finally arrived. I headed right over to purchase it the same day and plan to go out tomorrow and fire it for the first time. The serial number of my gun is KBT53 and I was wondering if you could please tell me what the manufacture date of my gun?

Many Thanks,
    Trent B. Pearson

15. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG Trent