How do I correct a typo in a posting??

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by PF9bill, Apr 20, 2008.

1. PF9bill

PF9bill New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    I posted a 1st use report on a PF9 and the header says PM9 instead. How do I fix it??

I even tried to cancel my registration and then re-registered so it shows ex-member posted it now>

Help please??

PM9bill

2. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
      Well, you COULD have just clicked "modify" for that post. But now that you unregistered--You won't be able to DO that anymore because it's not "your" post anymore.

No big deal! Let it go and chalk it up to experience. Welcome to KTOG anyway!

Packer.

3. Paul_J._Nolan

Paul_J._Nolan New Member

May 10, 2008
    I, too, am a slow learner.  I was here posting for months before I realized that it was possible to change what one had written using the "Modify" button that appears in the upper right hand corner of one's post.  I am embarrassed to recall that before this revelation came to me, I once sent TxCajun a message asking him to correct a misspelling in one of my posts.  No matter how busy and harried he is, he is always the tactful diplomat...he ignored me, for which I have always been grateful.

Paul

Edited to add:  Now I am a serial modifier.  As Mark Twain said. "The difference between the right word and the almost-right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug."  And John Kenneth Galbraith, himself no slouch with the pen, added, "The secret of writing is rewriting."  And knowing that one does not point out flaws in one's friends, I hope I will be forgiven for saying that yes, spelling and punctuation do matter.  As do grammar and syntax.  Syndil has carried the banner of correct usage into battle in a previous thread, to which I came too late to comment, but he was right.  One or two of us labor under dyslexia, and one or two under an inadequate education (which does not obscure their charm, wit, or intellect) but there are many, I think, who are simply...sloppy.  Do you not use a spell checker?  Do you never read over what you have written?  Clean it up!  (Especially educators and attorneys.)

Nonetheless, I very much like you all and am glad to count you as my friends.

Paul

4. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Paul, what gives with the 2 user names, my friend?

5. Paul_J._Nolan

Paul_J._Nolan New Member

May 10, 2008
    Hi, RJ. I hope Tx will forgive me for making a private message public, but the subject is not inflammatory and it was, after all, a message from me to him. I quote it because I have to go to work and don't have time to elucidate it again.

"Hi, Tx, and thanks for writing. At my last job I was doing internet sales and consequently spent a lot of time on the computer. My boss was firmly of the opinion that a computer should be "cleaned" every five days or so to ensure it ran properly, i.e., fast. This involved two or three steps, the only one of which I can now recall was "Delete All Cookies" on the control panel. Well, I did this the other night on my laptop and of course it deleted the KTOG cookie which recognized me and kept me logged in, as I knew it would. The problem came when I tried to use the "Forgot Password?" feature to get back on the site. It just would not send me an email with a new password to my main email account (pauljnolan1000@gmail.com) but it would send one to my second email account (pauljnolan1000@yahoo.com) provided I logged in as a new user. This I then did in order to get back on the site. The problem was not with the email account, as I was able to send email from the Yahoo account to the Gmail account as well as receive other emails at the Gmail account.

"Could you set up a password that will allow me to log in as my true self, that is, under my original name, Paul_J._Nolan?
    and email it to me at either email address? If you can choose what the password is, could you make it "xxxxxxx"? I could remember that.

"Should I then delete the "Paul Nolan" account?

"Is my old boss correct about periodically deleting all cookies or is that hogwash?

"Thanks for your help and thank you once again for all you do to make KTOG such a wonderful place.

"Paul"

And a second message sent moments later:

"Tx, I note that in the link in your earlier personal message to me, there is a space between the "o" and the "l" in my last name. Is that why the emails are not getting through? How can I fix that?

"Thanks again, Paul"

Well, there you have it, and again, I hope Tx will forgive me for making a private message public, but the subject matter is very mundane. Now, off to work.

Paul

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Hey paul - check your email. ;)

7. Paul_J._Nolan

Paul_J._Nolan New Member

May 10, 2008
    Thank you! I will act upon it when I get home tonight!

Paul