Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the best way to Zero in a SU16 ca. I have a sight Mark Ultra shot reflex sight mounted on it. I want to zero at 50 and 100 yrds.

Thanks,

Fesser64

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Can anyone tell me the best way to Zero in a SU16 ca. I have a sight Mark Ultra shot reflex sight mounted on it. I want to zero at 50 and 100 yrds.

Thanks,

Fesser64
Well point of impact will be different at those ranges, so first thing you need to do is determine at what range you want to zero it..

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'd begin by zeroing the scope. I'd fire the rifle by it's irons at 25 yards to make sure it shoots straight, then add said scope and see where the rounds land and adjust from there. Allow cooling time on these rifle barrels. Mine tends to wander off a bit when she gets hot.
Shoot from a good rest and squeeze the shots carefully. Keep aiming at the same area and take note of where the bullet is landing and adjust the scope to that spot where the rounds are hitting. Once you are good up/down/left/right in a group, move out to 50 yards and adjust as necessary. Move to 100 yards and repeate the process. A good spotting scope comes in real handy at this point because I can't see .223 holes very far away :)
Scope mounting is very critical. Even with the aluminum rail on my AR I have found minor tweeks once it seems tight on the rail can move a laser bore sight 1 to 2 inches at just 25 yards. You want the scope centered on the barrel impact point and adjust from there firing your ammo of choice. It's not hard to do, but with patience & a little knowledge of what is going on you should feel confident your rifle will hit that zombie at the dialed in range.
I have some questions myself about adding any optics to a plastic rail. I'm sure I will try it sometime, but that is a future story. Good luck with your set up my friend!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent information Kent55. Going out to the range today to try those suggestions.
Thanks for your guick response my friend.

Fesser62

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I agree with what Kent said...except one little point..he said <<You want the scope centered on the barrel impact point and adjust from there firing your ammo of choice.>> A lot of the time it will be the ammo of your gun's choice...guns are like people..they all like to eat differnt things! Try a bunch of different ammo and see which one shoots best and most accurately out of your gun.
Get the groups and scope/sights where you want them, and then try differing ammo to see which shoots best and has the tightest pattern..just my

·
Registered
238 Posts
In theory, there's a way to zero any scope with just a couple of shots. But it depends on having a way to hold the gun quite still while you adjust the croshairs. However, I've found this approach still saves a lot of ammo even if I can't keep the gun perfectly still.
Here's the idea.
1) Aim at the center of the bullseye and take one shot.
(If the scope was just mounted you may be off by inches. In other words, many many clicks.)
2) Re-aim at the center of the bullseye.
3) Now, while holding the gun as still as possible, adjust the crosshairs so they
are centered on the first bullet hole.
4) You're done! At least in theory.
There are still errors due to any accidental movement that occured while you were adjusting the crosshairs.
Also shot-to-shot error.
5) Next take 3 shots while aiming at the center of the bulseye.
Now again hold the gun very still (having an extra set of hands helps).
Adjust the crosshairs to be in the middle of the triangle formed by the last three shots.
At this point you shoud be very close to having your next group centered on the bullseye.
For any further adjustments I simply give the scope a click or two based on where the group is centered.

3dogs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts