How Bad is the Stock Trigger

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by p3at, Dec 8, 2019.

1. p3at

p3at Member

May 21, 2007
    Thinking about picking one up. Just watched a youtube video where the guy measured the trigger pull between 9 and 10 pounds. Not seeing too many complaints here about a heavy trigger though. I know there are aftermarket triggers, springs, etc but would like to keep it stock for now. How good or bad it is really? Thanks.

2. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
    My experience has found most Subs have a utilitarian trigger. Not the worst, with most being gritty, flexy, and heavy. A target gun gets a target trigger. A utility gun gets a utility trigger. But I have shot some with a "decent" trigger pull. But most are just "ok"-"meh".
    Luckily , if you don't like yours, there are aftermarket triggers out there.

Dubar, p3at and RAT76 like this.

3. MuzzleBlastMD

MuzzleBlastMD Active Member

Nov 27, 2018
    If you’re used to shooting revolvers, then the trigger is fine.

I didn’t measure it. It’s fine to me.

850sub and p3at like this.
  4. p3at

p3at Member

May 21, 2007
    ^^^ This is what I am thinking. Thanks.

MuzzleBlastMD likes this.
  5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I havent shot mine in a while, but I don't think its anywhere near 9 to 10 pounds.

MuzzleBlastMD likes this.
  6. tex45acp

tex45acp Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2004
    South Central Texas
    You need to try one with a Mcarbo trigger kit in it!! I put the Mcarbo kit in mine and man what a difference it made. I highly recommend it.

7. Whitetiger_1

Whitetiger_1 Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Ive had this spring set for about a month now I do like how it shots stock but always have to play :). Was waiting on the right non tired day still not there yet :) cause looks like 1 area being I need to pay more atten: to

8. Silver Rings

Silver Rings Member

Feb 13, 2019
    My stock trigger was about 6 lbs and ok. After doing an MCARBO update its about 5 lbs but much crisper, worth the money.

9. Ronjo

Ronjo Member

Nov 2, 2019
    The stock trigger sucks. Not measured, but agree with others saying it's around 6lbs. It's not the weight that's the problem, it's that it's rough and indecisive. By that I mean the take up is mushy, the wall is mushy and the reset happens, uh, sometime before full release, but you'll never know when. I have not put in any of the MCarbo trigger pieces, but if you can get in there and do some polishing it definitely helps with the roughness, less so with the mushiness. Saving my pennies for one of the trigger kits.

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Active Member

Jun 1, 2016
    This.

The stock trigger is garbage. I have no idea how it made it past initial testing.

Even if you don't decide to do the spring kit, replace the craptastic plastic trigger.

It's a 5 minute job and makes a world of difference.

Don't even fire it with the stock trigger...it's that bad.

11. Whitetiger_1

Whitetiger_1 Member

Sep 4, 2019
    I’m assuming (I know that’s bad) no one has shot any other bull pups this stock is a lot better that most out there ex the tavor scar etc even other seasoned shooters have claimed this as well but there’s always a but I do agree that it can be better as with most guns rifles bullpups

12. tex45acp

tex45acp Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2004
    South Central Texas
    I have the KelTec KSG and though it was sufficient, there was a lot of creep before the sear released the hammer, and the trigger pull was a hair past 8lbs. The trigger felt like it was bending before it even moved. I ordered and installed the Mcarbo trigger, which is aluminum and has a take up adjustment, and the trigger pull is now at 3.8lbs with just a hair of creep before the sear breaks. I really like the way it and my Sub2K both shoot now with such good triggers.

13. wanderson

wanderson Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    The trigger on my Sub2K is hands down the worst.

effort wasn’t terrible but lots of flex in the trigger, VERY gritty and for the first few range trips the trigger was dragging against the safety.
    But for me this is a utilitarian carbine. And As I’ve gotten used to it, the trigger seems to be wearing in. Now I would love it if the Sub2k had a trigger like my PMR or CMR but at least it’s not as long a pull as my p32.

Not sure what the trigger pull weight of my sub is, but it’s lighter than my PTR-32 or one of my ARs with a Wolff xtra power hammer spring and my buddy’s trigger scale measured those at 10-12 lbs.

just to add, I love my sub, despite it’s faults it’s Uber portable and light. It stays in a drawer in my toolbox that’s too shallow to hold a large frame revolver.

14. Dubar

Dubar Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2018
    I had no problem with the OEM trigger. However, I did put the MCarbo trigger in simply due to a confidence factor...metal over plastic wins every time. While you have it part I would also replace the feed ramp with the MCarbo SS ramp. Again, metal over plastic.

15. Ron Rainson

Ron Rainson Member

Dec 21, 2019
    My PMR 30 has a hair trigger; can it be adjusted?

16. unodemo

unodemo Member

Dec 27, 2019
    Texas
    oh you're gonna want to replace the stock trigger system with the MCarbo spring kit. I got the Aluminum curved target trigger too. no more tractor pulling and the trigger actually breaks now. my favorite local shooting range had a bone stock S2K on display. we compared triggers. mine won.

17. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Active Member

Jun 1, 2016
    The Sub2000 isn't a bullpup.

18. Whitetiger_1

Whitetiger_1 Member

Sep 4, 2019
    My bad when I answered that I thought we were talking RDB

19. Whitetiger_1

Whitetiger_1 Member

Sep 4, 2019
    When I post this post I thought we were talking RDB so this would be my reply if we were talking RDB. Sorry

20. unodemo

unodemo Member

Dec 27, 2019
    Texas
    I wrote about installing the MCarbo trigger. It eventually lost out to the Galloway Precision Asger Short Stroke Trigger and Trigger Installation Kit.

MCarbo didn't totally lose out, I kept the MCarbo Trigger Spring Kit I installed from when I replaced the Kel-Tec factory trigger and springs.

The MCarbo trigger appears to have the same dimensions as the Kel-Tec trigger, only in anodized aluminum. The Asger is 3D printed carbon fiber filled ballistic nylon.

There are a few things to keep in mind about the Asger trigger

1. The width of that trigger had to be reduced to match the factory Kel-Tec trigger, otherwise my Asger trigger would bind when the central grip housing bolt was tightened. I took the material off the land on the right side of the trigger.

2. The trigger pins had to be tapped into place on my Asger trigger. The interference fit eliminated the loose tolerances found in the Kel-Tec and MCarbo triggers. This new fit made the S2K final assembly a little more complicated and resulted in a perceptibly straighter trigger pull. That's a trade I was happy to accept.

3. The longest screws in the installation kit were needed to properly set the pre and post travel.

4. I took the edges off the trigger face that were too sharp for my liking.

Of all the mods I've tried, this trigger and spring kit made the biggest difference in the S2K. It went from aahh-whats-going-on-here? to an oohh-what-going-on-here? PCC.