Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a P-32 a few months back, have put ~250 rounds through it but I can honestly say I am all over the place with follow-up shots. 3-4"+ if I'm lucky. Granted, I haven't spent a lot of time with this firearm, but I'm guessing no matter what with the small size and .32ACP, it is what it is.

I am about to win a bid on Gun Broker for a PF-9 for about $200, can't complain with that price but I'm looking for a more accurate firearm. It's still one of, if not the, lightest and thinnest 9mm, but by the time I spend another $200, and the $230 for the P-32, it's the same as a Glock 43.

My primary goal with a CCW is that I will actually carry it, I want something light and thin. Kel-Tec is the go-to. But accuracy is also a goal.

Sure I can learn to shoot this gun more accurately and similarly for the PF-9, but can anyone tell that they are less accurate with the PF-9 than any other comparable firearm they own?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't own any comparable firearms, but the PF9 definitely had the steepest learning curve for me out of all the guns I have ever shot. I grew up with 1911s and revolvers, and I have spent a good deal of time with Glocks belonging to family and friends. I am happy with the PF9 as a personal defense piece, but it is less "instinctive" than other guns I have fired. Nothing about it is effortless, or even very easy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fair enough. I ended up winning the bid and am looking forward to trying it out. I put 50 rounds through a Glock 43 tonight, wasn't that impressed considering it's size compared to the PF-9 and double the price. I'll just have to remember the P-32 and PF-9 have their purposes and not to expect the accuracy of my Xd Mod 2.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Diamond, I'm willing to bet you're not going to be happy with the PF-9...especially in that it's used. They are NOT the most accurate pistols...and were never meant to be. They were designed to be short range, last chance, defensive hold out...back up pistols for cops. Not target pistols by far.

If I can put a full mag into a paper plate at 7 yards...firing quickly, I'm happy as I can be. That's what it's designed to do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a brand new gray one for $200, that's why I think I'll be pretty happy for what it is. A 9mm will be a better option to carry so I'm good and I'll keep the P-32 too cheap to sell.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I am getting so very fxxxing sick of putting in the thought and time to type out a response to a thread. Only to push send and a box pop up and tell me I do not have access to this page and POOF!!!!! My post is gone. Been like this for months.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My "small" guns went from a P32 to a P3AT to Kahr PM9 to the KT PF9. I shoot the Kahr a little better, but not enough to matter. Shooting small 9mms takes some practice and repetitiveness. I shoot mine at least once a quarter, 30-50 rounds.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
A PF9 or similar, if used and/or looked at like a range gun will take quite a bit of practice to get consistent with in my experience. It's small, light, not a lot to hold on to. Hand exercise, lots of practice will get you there. I stippled mine, helped quite a bit. Problem with 'range work', most will tend to stage the trigger to get good targets, not what the gun was intended for. Your practice should be quick trigger pulls, as smooth as you can, no staging. You're not going to have time to stage the trigger in a SHTF situation. Lot's of point shooting is the way to go for a PF9 along with using the sights on slightly further targets. Since most ranges won't let you draw from a holster and shoot, start at low ready, bring it up, double tap both point shooting and bring it all the way up for the sights.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Diamond,
The groups on my PF9 vs my Shield 9mm at 7-10 yards are quite similar. Maybe the Shield wins by 1/4 inch.......maybe, maybe not. When the 9 is the caliber of the day, I almost ALWAYS carry the Keltec. You hit it on the head - size, weight, thinness - wins the concealment question. The accuracy issue is a non-issue with this type of weapon.

·
Registered
390 Posts
At bad breath distance, my PF-9 and my Glock 43 can both keep rounds within effective center-of-bad-guy distance. There is clearly a difference between the two guns (especially the triggers), and it takes practice (particularly with the PF-9) to overcome the tendency to jerk the trigger or anticipate the shot. Jamie's advice about not staging is spot on. Just pull through, keeping the sights where you want them.

To be perfectly honest, the Glock is more comfortable to shoot for longer periods of time, but I have carried both of them at one time or another, with full confidence that I could hit what I was aiming at in a close-up defensive situation.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I feel like with majority of my shooting being revolver based, the PF9 is plenty accurate for minute of human shooting. I don't carry it to win TopShot. At 7 yards I can hit with it very well. I do recomend the northwoods trigger upgrade, buy it before you even have your first range session. This is not a range gun either. I don't care how much experience you have you will limp wrist it after 100 rounds unless you have 20 year old vise grips for hands. do the trigger upgrade and then snap cap the trigger a couple hundred times...practicing a double tap or three rounds. That will be how you shrink groups with this gun. I get to the range and fire my first two mags with this gun, doing two and three round strings and once those two mags are done... I practice my fundamentals with some thing else. Let it be know also that I wore out a mag release and cracked a frame unit doing my 6-700 round break in learning this guns idiosyncrasies. Have fun, I love this affordable little piece; it's with me more often than not. If not on me then in my possession because it conceals so well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally received my PF-9 yesterday, took it to range tonight put 60-70rds through it. Wow does this thing have a lot of kick, more so than the Glock 43 (too me). Uncomfortable to fire more than what I did even wearing a glove. I'm not complaining because it is what it is, was shooting 115-gr. I paid $205 + $20 shipping for a brand new gray PF-9. Really happy with the P-32, great carry gun, minimal recoil with .32ACP. Wanting to try the P-3AT but I had an LCP a year ago and really disliked.

Firing pin got stuck on me during reassembly thankfully there were a few YouTube vids, loosened extractor a bit and it popped right back. Don't see myself carrying this when I have the P-32.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love my PF9! It took a while, but for it's intended purpose, it's an excellent weapon. I sent many hours sitting, watching TV while cycling Snap Caps through it, leaning the trigger. Many ranges hours learning how to shoot it. It's completely different than the heavy frame guns I was used to. Almost every problem I had with the gun in the beginning was operator error, not the fault of the gun. Under 10 yds, it's deadly accurate, beyond that it's a bit tricky. Last time at the range I decided to shoot at the steel flipper tree @ 25 yds. I hit 7 out of 8. The miss was my fault.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Last time I took my PF9 to the range, it seemed to have more recoil than normal. Checking it, I found one of the frame screws loose. Pulled the screw out and applied some blue locktite to threads. Will recheck next time at range and see if there is a difference. Ammo used at the range, standard FMJ 115 grain.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.