Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking the other day that it would be great if KT put out a pistol in .22LR based on the P3AT. It would be just the right size for my daughter who is learning to shoot and the DAO would be a plus.

Has this ever been discussed? Would you buy one?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I sure would, the 22 is a long time favorite of mine.

In fact, ( probably before the time of most folks here) my first auto pistol was a J22 by a company called "Jennings".

Reminds me a lot of the P3AT, in fact..

I still have it and once every decade or so, take it out and try and make it shoot

I'd snap up a 22 version in a heart beat.

DP

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Deepmine said:
In fact, ( probably before the time of most folks here) my first auto pistol was a J22 by a company called "Jennings".

Reminds me a lot of the P3AT, in fact..

I still have it and once every decade or so, take it out and try and make it shoot
I for one am getting really tired of your not so subtle, constant KT bashing. If you have nothing else to contribute, I think you're about done here.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  We have discussed this before. It was the general consensus that a P32 would be a better platform. (almost the same size as the P3AT) rc model named it the P3-22.

Same trigger action and many of the same parts. It would have to be a blow back though. The only thing difficult might be the magazine. The rimmed .22 cases are notoriously hard to get to feed reliably in a straight magazine.

I want them to make this also. However, it would sell for the same price as a P3AT--And quickly pay for itself in ammo savings.

Packer.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  This would be a real winner for KT. I know I would buy 2.

From a stock P32: Chamber and rifle the barrel in .22. Instead of a cam, the barrel would have an eyelet hole for the assembly pin and be relieved at top for blowback action.

The extractor would angle farther into the slide to catch the smaller rim.  The firing pin would be fatter, with a flat area to fire the rim.

For reliable feeding, the magazine would probably have to be specially made for .22 although it might be possible to shim the P32 mag thinner and bend in the feed lips. In that case, since it would mainly be a range gun, maybe we could tolerate the occasional misfeed.

This would be great for a beginner gun or for cheap P3AT/P32 practice.

Packer.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
adamsesq said:
Can you do it 2pp?
  I have thought about exactly that. The extractor would not be a problem. The slide could be drilled out for a fatter custom made firing pin. The mag could be shimmed and the feed lips modified. The barrel would be expensive to have custom made though.

One way to achieve it would be to ream out a stock p32 barrel to accept a Walther P22 short barrel insert. Then the feed ramp of the Walther barrel would have to be reshaped and the cam of the P32 barrel would have to be brazed into an eye loop.

BTW: The Walther barrel insert would drop right into a stock P3AT barrel.

So the answer is, yes it is possible that I could do it. Whether such a thing would function well is another question.

It would be a far more certain outcome if KT would make the barrel for me.

Packer.

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
Antibubba said:
I was thinking the other day that it would be great if KT put out a pistol in .22LR based on the P3AT. It would be just the right size for my daughter who is learning to shoot and the DAO would be a plus.

Has this ever been discussed? Would you buy one?
Yes, and in a heartbeat.

This would be a great product for KT. Heck I'd buy at least two.

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
Maybe a write in campaign to KT?

I really would like one. I'm getting ready to shop for a 22 auto & the best option so far is a P22. And I'm not 100% happy with THAT choice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I voted for one. If I had the extra "gun" bucks and it was available I would be all over it! Sounds like it would be a natural fit for KT. Anyone know if they might actually be considering bringing one out?

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
I'd say probably not, at least not any time soon. :(

I do wish that they had gone for a 22 as their next new product instead of a $3K assault multiuse sporting rifle. I can't afford one of those. I'd also like a subbie in 22 but I KNOW I'm dreaming there. ;)

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
RAT76 said:
Maybe a write in campaign to KT?

I really would like one.  I'm getting ready to shop for a 22 auto & the best option so far is a P22.  And I'm not 100% happy with THAT choice.
  Maybe if we let them know how much we want it they will build it.

Here is the email that I just sent KT. Please cut and paste it onto your email with your name and send it. Post here that email is sent.

Thanks,

Packer.

TO: [email protected]

SUBJECT: WE NEED YOU TO MAKE A P3-22

Dear Kel-Tec:

Many of us at KTOG would like to see you make, and would buy multiple copies of, a P32 chambered for .22LR ammo. This gun would use many standard parts and would almost exactly resemble a P-32. It could be called the P3-22. Having this would be such a cost savings in ammo for P3AT/P-32 practice, that we would be willing to pay P3AT prices for it.

Since the trigger action would be exactly like the P3AT/ P-32, practice with this gun would be very similar to the real thing--but for pennies instead of dollars.

Of course the P3-22 would probably have to be modified to be a blowback design. We think that converting the barrel cam to a barrel eyelet and relieving the barrel hood for slide passage would work though, and still allow the stock assembly pin to work.

The P-32 slide could be modified to allow the stock extractor to reach the .22 rim, and the firing pin could be high and flat instead of round.

We realize the magazine would be the most problematical, but other companies have marketed straight .22 magazines that worked, so its not impossible.

Please produce this gun for us. It would have a built in market from existing P3AT/P-32 owners plus those who are recoil shy. It would make an excellent "First Kel-Tec" beginner gun, and the ladies would love it. Now, as ammo prices continue to rise, is the perfect time to do it.

Please look at this poll and discussion on KTOG:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=104;action=display;num=1141417888;start=0

Sincerely,

·
Registered
373 Posts
There are similar threads on KTRange and USRange wanting a 22 from KT. I guess if you added up all those I said I'd buy on the three sites, it comes to at least 7-8 I've committed myself for so KT, git to building em'. People will come! ;D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.