Hornady TAP-.380ACP from Cabela's

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ethanspapa, Dec 23, 2009.

1. ethanspapa

ethanspapa New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Has anyone had any experience with the Hornady TAP .380acp load available exclusively from Cabela's?
    Can you direct me to any links on tests of this ammo?
    My current carry load in my 1st Gen P-3AT is the Magtech 77gr. SCHP-albeit, a slightly "personally-upgraded" version. It has shot well and the terminal ballistics are impressive. I have the utmost confidence in this load.

2. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    What do you mean by "personally upgraded"?

3. KelTex78

KelTex78 New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I don't know what your upgrade consists of, but have you fired into any sort of media to test expansion/penetration? I only shot a handful of rounds into phone books and water jugs but got very inconsistent results from the Magtech First Defense. It seems that the shorter barreled pocket pistol provides borderline low velocities for reliable expansion. Also, the hollow point design seems to plug easily. I also noted fairly radical differences in penetration when shooting into phone books. Here is an example of a couple of the First Defense bullets retrieved from phone books that show the typical expansion I noted when testing this round:
    [​IMG]

I am partial to Hornady's .380 bullets as they seem to be a very good compromise between controlled expansion and decent penetration. I would buy a box of Fiocchi Extrema in .380 as they use the same Hornady XTP bullet as is in the TAP but you can get a box of 50 for $30 from Cabelas. I prefer either the Hornady Critical Defense or the XTP for pocket .380 carry.

Disclaimer:
    I would like to take this opportunity to mention that my testing is extremely informal, made using only a few shots, and was for my own enjoyment and to satisfy my own curiosity. I would not consider it to be a scientific procedure, I do not own a chrony, and use phone books/milk jugs as media, not calibrated ballistic gelatin. I have fun doing it but this is how I determine my preferred carry round.

4. johnfrommd

johnfrommd Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Hornady is having some problems with their latest version of personal protection ammo. Several posts on other forums seem to indicate it is from foreign primers. I am only repeating what I have read as I have no personal experience with them.

On the other hand, I have plenty of experience with the Buffalo Bore JHP's and 100gn hard lead bullet. I have shot these through water jugs and phone books and get consistant penetration and expansion with either type of the jhp's and deep penetration with the lead bullet.

The JHP's, when shot at 10 yards into water, will penetrate into the third jug of water. Expansion is about .45 cal. In wet phone books they penetrate to 10 inches with about the same expansion. There is a difference between the gold dot bullet and Hornady JHP with the Hornady expanding slightly less.
    The 100gn lead bullet penetrates to the fourth jug of water and 12 inches of wet phone books. It does not expand but does penetrate.

I carry a mix of Hard lead and Gold dot Buffalo Bore cartridges in my P3AT and feel confident that they will fire and cause some serious damage to who they hit.

Using my Armalaser, I have shot a mix of Buffalo Bore bullets into a 1.5 inch group at 10 yards. This is of course staging the trigger real slow.

John

5. KelTex78

KelTex78 New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Last I heard, BB had dropped the Gold Dot bullets and were using another brand; Sierra if I remember correctly. Are they back to loading with GDs again? If so, I want to get a couple of boxes when I can.

6. johnfrommd

johnfrommd Member

Jul 20, 2007
    They are still loading the Sierras. I made a mistake in my last post and called them Hornady's. BB said that Speer can't keep up with the demand for their own product so they are forced to use bullets from other manufacturers.

My prediction is that commercial ammo stocks will not get better until the wars in Afganistan and Iraq are over.

John