Hornady Critical Defense Find

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by HET45, Mar 27, 2009.

1. HET45

HET45 New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    I took a ride to Benton Shooter Supply in Benton Tennessee yesterday with a friend and saw a lot of stuff on the shelves.  They must have just gotten in a supply so I decided to ask if they had any Critical Defense 380's.  The counter guy said, "no 380's" but then said, "wait, I think there is something here" as he pointed to a small stack of boxes on the counter a few feet away.

Lo and behold there sat what I was looking for.  When I saw the price I just had to ask if he wore a mask (as in one like a thief) when he sold it  :).  25 rounds for $30 plus tax  :-/.

Well, ya gotta do what ya gotta do and I grabbed it figuring that an on line purchase (if it could be found)would be about the same after shipping was added.

With the good reports I heard about this stuff I don't think I did wrong but it ain't for plinking.

I then walked over to the powder supply shelf and saw Winchester 748, which I use for reloading my AR, at $27 a pound.  It used to be less than $20.  It was on a bottom shelf and I reached to the back and found a pound jug with the old price on it.  I took it to the counter for a price check and when I was told $27 I just said "nope" and put on a poker face.  The check out girl said, "ok I'll let you have it for the ticket price".  Thank you said I. :)

A small bit of bitter sweet I guess.  It's still nuts out there guys and I don't see any change coming.

2. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Wow $30?  I seen it online at Midway for $18.49. Of course it was out of stock. This is why I haven't tried any yet. Still carrying Golden Sabres. My impatience causes me to pay too much sometimes too. ;)

3. HET45

HET45 New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    And when you add Midway's less than stellar shipping and handling charges of $12.38 to my location.

$18.49 + 12.38 = $30.87 Plus the wait for them to get it and then if you don't move fast enough, its gone again for another few weeks. >:(

4. buck1032

buck1032 New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    TN
    I guess I'll have to head over there tomorrow. I made my weekly call to them a while ago, I'm awaiting the arrival of my Kimber Ultra. I didnt even think to ask them about Critical Defense ammo. Thanks for the heads up.

5. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I bought two boxes at my LGS the other day and only paid $18.00 per box. I can say one thing about the owner; he refuses to hike his prices to make a better profit. He sees it as keeping his prices lower so he sells more product. It works too. His shop stays busy. Bill is the greatest.

6. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    380guy,

I have found that if you buy multiple boxes of ammo online the price of ammo becomes much better! If I buy one boxe the shipping is usually about $13. If I buy 6 boxes it is about $16. Now if you average the cost of all 6 boxes including shipping the price is very attractive! I also pay no tax! The moral of this story is order ammo online in larger quantities.

Craig

7. Cheez

Cheez New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I bought a couple boxes of Critical Defense in the Atlanta BPS on Friday. They had 7 boxes in stock for $17 each. I had not read about this ammo so I only bought the 2 boxes. Had I know it was the "stuff" I would have cleaned them out.