Hornady Critical Defense Find

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by HET45, Mar 27, 2009.

1. HET45

HET45 New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    I took a ride to Benton Shooter Supply in Benton Tennessee yesterday with a friend and saw a lot of stuff on the shelves.  They must have just gotten in a supply so I decided to ask if they had any Critical Defense 380's.  The counter guy said, "no 380's" but then said, "wait, I think there is something here" as he pointed to a small stack of boxes on the counter a few feet away.

Lo and behold there sat what I was looking for.  When I saw the price I just had to ask if he wore a mask (as in one like a thief) when he sold it  :).  25 rounds for $30 plus tax  :-/.

Well, ya gotta do what ya gotta do and I grabbed it figuring that an on line purchase (if it could be found)would be about the same after shipping was added.

With the good reports I heard about this stuff I don't think I did wrong but it ain't for plinking.

I then walked over to the powder supply shelf and saw Winchester 748, which I use for reloading my AR, at $27 a pound.  It used to be less than $20.  It was on a bottom shelf and I reached to the back and found a pound jug with the old price on it.  I took it to the counter for a price check and when I was told $27 I just said "nope" and put on a poker face.  The check out girl said, "ok I'll let you have it for the ticket price".  Thank you said I. :)

A small bit of bitter sweet I guess.  It's still nuts out there guys and I don't see any change coming.

2. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Wow $30?  I seen it online at Midway for $18.49. Of course it was out of stock. This is why I haven't tried any yet. Still carrying Golden Sabres. My impatience causes me to pay too much sometimes too. ;)

3. HET45

HET45 New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    And when you add Midway's less than stellar shipping and handling charges of $12.38 to my location.

$18.49 + 12.38 = $30.87 Plus the wait for them to get it and then if you don't move fast enough, its gone again for another few weeks. >:(

4. buck1032

buck1032 New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    TN
    I guess I'll have to head over there tomorrow. I made my weekly call to them a while ago, I'm awaiting the arrival of my Kimber Ultra. I didnt even think to ask them about Critical Defense ammo. Thanks for the heads up.

5. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I bought two boxes at my LGS the other day and only paid $18.00 per box. I can say one thing about the owner; he refuses to hike his prices to make a better profit. He sees it as keeping his prices lower so he sells more product. It works too. His shop stays busy. Bill is the greatest.

6. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    380guy,

I have found that if you buy multiple boxes of ammo online the price of ammo becomes much better! If I buy one boxe the shipping is usually about $13. If I buy 6 boxes it is about $16. Now if you average the cost of all 6 boxes including shipping the price is very attractive! I also pay no tax! The moral of this story is order ammo online in larger quantities.

Craig

7. Cheez

Cheez New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I bought a couple boxes of Critical Defense in the Atlanta BPS on Friday. They had 7 boxes in stock for $17 each. I had not read about this ammo so I only bought the 2 boxes. Had I know it was the "stuff" I would have cleaned them out.