Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my 147gr Hornady XTPs to load. After my first reloading experience, I bought 115gr LRN, tried loading them @ 1.125", they wouldn't chamber, the bullet stopped on the rifling of the PF9. Ended up at 1.095", used 5.1gr Power Pistol, initial load @ 1.125" was recommended to use 6.1gr PP max. Lee suggests the 147gr XTPs OAL of 1.140", starting 5.2gr of PP, max 5.7. The XTP hits the rifling, I need to shorten the length to 1.100", (1.105" is where it hits, I might shorten to 1.095" to give me .010" clearance). Has anyone loaded these for the PF9, any suggestions for starting powder start? My first inclination is to drop the load 10% which would put me at 4.7gr to start, (I really need to get a chronograph), wondering what the experienced can tell me.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
The PF-9 does have an extremely short forcing cone, so many bullets loaded to "recommended length" will hit the rifling. So it may be necessary to seat some bullets a little bit deeper than recommended in some books. However, be extremely cautious here, as seating the bullet deeper than recommended for a given load may raise pressures to potentially dangerous levels. Your inclination to drop back such loads by 10% initially is a very good one and should be followed, watching fired cases carefully for any signs of over presssure or other issues with that particular load. If the initial loading works ok, work your way up slowly, in small increments, all the time watching for signs of overpressure.

Jim R

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I found a couple of load recommendations 'allegedly' from Hornady for the 147gr XTPs, loaded @ 1.100" and 4.7gr of Power Pistol, so my first thoughts seem correct. I guess I'd have to get the Hornady manual for myself since I couldn't seem to get the info I wanted off their site. I wonder if there is some formula to determine a percentage of case volume reduction regarding powder charge...probably too many variables.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
No.
There is no formula to say how much reduction you should use.

You need to take the barrel out of the gun and use it at the reloading press for a chamber gage to check seating depth.

Keep seating deeper until the loaded round will drop in the chamber flush with the barrel hood, and fall back out under it's own weight.

Whatever that turns out to be is the correct OAL for your gun and that bullet.

But, the published starting load in most manuals that show starting loads is already reduced 10% from the MAX load, and would be safe no matter how short you need to seat.

Then you work up a load in steps, watching for flat primers, excess ejection distance, etc.

rc

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The suggested OAL in the Lee book is 1.140", shortening it by .040" I'm still safe starting at 5.2gr? I'll check for signs of too much pressure, (still trying 'know' what that looks like), if it shoots, I don't see any bad signs, I'll leave it alone till I get a chronograph. I guess I could load up some with progressively heavier loads till I 'see' something, a bit nervous doing that. I know from racing, sometimes when pushing the limits, you find 'em!

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Lee data is copied from old powder & bullet manufactures published data.
They have no testing lab of thier own.

2002 Alliant powder guide(before ATK/Speer took over) says:
Power Pistol
147 XTP
OAL 1.140"
5.7 MAX
Reduce 10% for 5.1 start load.

Hornady manual #6 says 147 XTP
Power Pistol:
OAL = 1.100".
Start = 3.5.
MAX = 5.1.

Current Alliant Power Pistol data with a 147 Gold Dot is:
OAL min = 1.130".

5.0 MAX.
Reduce 10% for the starting load.

rc

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, the Hornady data, 3.5-5.1gr seems like a wide range, that's a 30% reduction from 5.1 down to 3.5, I'm not used to seeing that, then again I just started reloading!

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Hornady doesn't list by pressure range.

They list only by velocity range with all powders listed.

3.5 is probably not even going to cycle the slide.

rc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts