Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went Sunday to our local indoor range and slaughtered some paper BGs with:

• H. Schmidt .357 magnum SAA (using Remington green box .38s)
  • Taurus .22 Magnum model 941 (with CCI)
  • Kel-Tec P-3AT (more Remington green box, .380).

Hey, getting a little better!! My "groups" are almost 2 feet across still, but at least they were all hits (7 yd.). :D And no FTFs, either.

Another lady showed up with a S&W 9mm and a little .22 mousegun, so we traded back and forth a bit and really enjoyed each other's toys.

I had holstered my leg gun and got it out for her and she was impressed with the holster and the size of the kel-tec.

I was a bit concerned as many women wrinkle up their nose at the P3AT after the first magazine. So I and explained about the tiny sights and the low-mass-high-energy shooting, and showed her how to lock the stance forward and not limpwrist, and to use the ball of her finger for the long trigger travel.

I think guys don't warn us enough about all that, so we tend to shy away from a gun that takes getting to know.

As I was firing the XD, and putting all the rounds in the ten ring (WOW!!), I worried some more, because if this is the gun she's used to, she won't be hitting well with the P3AT right off. Hers is definitely the "range gun" of the two.

When we swapped back, she said, "Gee, you weren't kidding, I only got on the paper twice."

"Well, I did say you have to train to it. This one is for the close-in stuff."

"Yeah, I like the size, though. It 's no bigger than my Beretta .22! I think I might get one!"

I credit what I've learned here in getting the P3AT's points across.
Thanks for all the great posts, guys! :cool:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
642 weighs 3 times what the p3at does, yes? With full-size grips? Sir, I understand it. The p3at is almost like holding a .380 round in your hand and firing it with a lighter! :p

For comparison I handed her the Schmidt and she almost tipped over with it. I actually own a .22 rifle that weighs less than it does! ::)

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
risabee said:
The p3at is almost like holding a .380 round in your hand and firing it with a lighter!  :p
Pretty good analogy. ;D

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
risabee said:
642 weighs 3 times what the p3at does, yes? With full-size grips? Sir, I understand it. The p3at is almost like holding a .380 round in your hand and firing it with a lighter!  :p

For comparison I handed her the Schmidt and she almost tipped over with it. I actually own a .22 rifle that weighs less than it does!  ::)
The 642 is heaver but it's only 15 oz . The P3AT is 8.3  It has the standard S&W rubber grips , not full sized. IMHO the 642 w/ +P's kicks a lot more than the .380. But she still likes the P32 (guess that gives me a chance to buy another ;D)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
15 oz. Now, that's light! My 941 .22 mag weighs 26.

I considered the .32 but wanted just that wee bit more dissuasion power...a mildly wounded tweaker on my hands could be bad business. :p

Some day, when there's a litle more money, a P11 maybe? I looked at a Glock 26 but it was just too fat...would she consider a P11?

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
I love the P11,.40 and .357 sig -last one's my main carry. I want to try the PF 9 soon . Have my name on next one into my dealer.
She has shot my P11 but she loves the P32 , and hits quite well with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.