Home Maintenance

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by foundatown, Jan 21, 2010.

1. foundatown

foundatown New Member

Aug 14, 2009
    It looks like my P-3AT is going to be with me for a while. I've got nearly 500 rounds through it, I'm extremely comfortable with it, and it's not going to be getting replaced by an 'Elsie Pea' anytime soon. I want to lay in some of the basic replacement parts in case something ever happens and I need to switch something out.

I've read here a few times about people doing home maintenance on their P-3ATs, replacing this or that at so many rounds fired, preventative maintenance. Of course, things also fail from time to time and need to get fixed. So, should I pick up everything on the Kel-Tec parts list for this gun in their online store or what? What do I need?

I want to lay this stuff in store because I'm into redundancy. It's part of my life philosophy to have things on hand. So, I know there's a warrantee, but I want to have the basic fixer-upper parts just in case.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I haven't done this yet myself (kinda on the list). I figure if anything happens to my beloved P3-AT I'll send it in and suffer with a larger carry gun like I used to do before I got the KelTec. Here's a page a had bookmarked. Same discussion:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1250623139

Good luck!

3. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Keeping a few parts on hand can't hurt. It is rather easy to work on these guns yourself. Plus, it doesn't void the warranty. To me there's no reason to send one to momma for the small stuff. It is so easy to just do it yourself.

4. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Heck, for under $300 you can have a full kit that contains every part in a p3at. Fully assembled, it configures into a complete gun. ;)

But seriously, compared to the price of just about any other well made hand gun, you could buy another new gun and just keep it around for parts.

P3At $290
    Glock $500
    1911 $1000
    Fun time shooting at the range...priceless. (I couldn't resists :))

5. jim-sks

jim-sks New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    That is a very good reason to get another one! :cool:

6. blackberry

blackberry New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    It's always good to have replacement parts, but i would also have another gun handy just in case something goes wrong in an emergency situation.

7. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    That is a very good reason to get another one!  :cool:[/quote]
    ;)

8. foundatown

foundatown New Member

Aug 14, 2009
    That's a good idea, I've considered it, but what about you guys who replace this or that at 1,000 or 2,000 rounds as preventative maintenance? What are you replacing? Gonna check out that link to the other conversation now.

9. low-side

low-side New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    I like to keep the following parts around for any pistol I own: recoil spring(s); firing pin; firing pin spring; trigger/trigger bar spring; and hammer/striker spring. Those seem to be the parts on any pistol that will always wear out or can break suddenly.