holy buffalo bore!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by kbizzle, Dec 3, 2008.

1. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    i just shot a box of Buffalo Bore 95 gr JHP this morning and it was fun!  the BB ammo functioned flawlessly in my P3AT and it's going to be my carry ammo for now.  i only tested for functionality in my gun but based on the difference in report and recoil, i feel confident that it hits harder than any other ammo i've tested so far.  

i find the additional recoil, um, comforting.  follow up shots in a two-handed grip were not a problem whatsoever and accuracy was great.  i like the added punch to the .380 round.

i'm impressed,

kb

p.s.  my trigger finger, specifically at the outer joint of the first digit (along the right side of the finger nail), felt a little stinging sensation towards the end of the session.  i'm guessing this was caused by the trigger finger slapping against the bottom of the trigger guard when the muzzle flips up during recoil.

2. robbiedaman

robbiedaman New Member

May 26, 2008
    its a fun little round :D adds a little more snap to the recoil but very manageable

3. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Buffalo Bore has the highest energy of any I've tested at over 230 ft-lb. That's higher than a 30 special P+ in a snubby. The main problem with them is that higher energy can lead to more FTEs, so you might want to practice your 1 handed grip too in order to get some worst-case scenario experience.

Here's a pic of the last comparison I did with various weapon and round types. The Buffalo Bores from the P3AT are at the top....
    [​IMG]

4. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    I have had something like this happen with other ammo, and I know I wasn't hitting anything with my finger. I think it is some sort of shock/vibration transmitted through the trigger. I had it happen one time with a single action AMT Backup, and it eventually became really, really painful - so bad it ended my session early. The first hand got too painful, so I switched to the other, then had to quit with that one too. Total round count was about 70-80 at that point. I suggest you quit before it gets too bad, rather than be stubborn like I was.

5. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    hey wheelguy,

thanks for posting your testing results - very cool!  that took some work! i did try a couple of one handed-shots with no problems.  why do higher energy rounds cause more FTE's?  you would think the additional pressure would eject the casing more forcefully and cleanly?  perhaps it causes more limp wristing which leads to more FTE's?   very interesting...

thanks again!

6. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    i know!  i'm almost sure my trigger finger wasn't actually hitting anything either.  i'd need some high speed video camera to prove it though.  in a worst case scenario, adrenaline would most certainly cancel out any pain due to recoil.

7. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    i second the question about high energy leading to ftes. my experience is quite the opposite- it makes most guns less prone to FTEs. that said your carry ammo practice should of course always be as realistic as possible, not just double hand slow fire.

on another account, that list wheelguy posted has me confused. it indicates there exists a s&w 357 that fully loaded weights essentially the same as a p3at. i'd be very interested in some specifics on this gun. im not a revolver person but if i can 357 ballistics out of a 380 compact package i may have to make an exception :)

8. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    That's just my experience - specifically with the P3AT. When I shoot a bunch of (low kick) Federal Hydrashok one handed, zero FTEs. But when I shoot a bunch of Buffalo Bore single handed, I get about 1 FTE per 2 mags. It tends to happen near end of the shoot, so I'm probably starting to loosen my grip by then.

My impression is that the bigger bang is forcing the gun to move more in my hand - giving the slide more of an opportunity to ride along with the case which leads to greater likleyhood of a jam during case exit. This type of jam looks like the slide came back and pinched up on the case as it was flying through the air.

The weights in the chart are with both guns fully loaded (7 rounds in the P3AT and 5 in the 357 magnum) - both with laser sites. That's actual measured weight on my utility scale that should be repeatable to +/- 0.01 pounds. Although the 357 gives the most bang per ounce, the P3AT is more comfortable to carry because it is flatter. So, I usually carry only the P3AT. If I feel I need more, I'll add the 357 to it. The velocity figures are also actual measurements with my guns at the local outdoor range.

I use 125 grain Buffalo Bore Gold Dots in the 357. It took me several months of practice to build up to that so that my wrist wouldn't hurt so much. Now I can go to about 10 shots before I feel like calling it a day with that light weight, heavy hitting, hand cannon. After only 2 of the 180 grain black tallons - I'm done for the day.

Here's a link to the 357mag : http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=15704

And, a pic...
    [​IMG]

9. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    It seems to build up after a few mags, so I don't worry about it in a SD situation.  It feels like a hot wire being inserted into the joint.  For those who haven't had this happen, it is really quite painful.  I can put up with a lot as far as guns and recoil, but when what you are talking about starts to happen I move to another weapon. :eek:

10. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    wow thats amazing! at ~ $1000 msrp its gonna be quite some time before i can afford one but i may just start saving up. the kick of that thing has to be extreme :p

11. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    the 360PD is a sweet piece!!  it looks menacing for such a small revolver.  even if i could afford one, i'd probably still carry the P3AT more due to its thin profile.  

12. P-3aT_ShoTTer

P-3aT_ShoTTer New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    The smiths are Sweet! I've got a 340 myself. That SOB stings a bit!!! The BB loads are some of the best that I've found yet for my .357 and my .380, but I've yet been able to get them in enough quantity so I still carry the RGS 102gr.