Holstering in a PDA holster

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by robbiedaman, May 26, 2008.

1. robbiedaman

robbiedaman New Member

May 26, 2008
    Hey all,
    Looking at looking for conceal carry options that blend in at a medical work setting. Anyone carry in PDA or pocket PC belt pouch? The .380 and .32 are very similar in size to several older models of palms, casios, and hps. Also looking for anything with very positive retention for cycling, while running errands in the city (always the possibility of a wreck). I would tend to think a pda pouch with belt loops and a nice HP or Compaq logo would be very secure and inconspicuous. Only problem is width on the newer models' pouches -- in business thin is definitely in.

Any experience doing this? Any doctors conceal carry, that can offer advice? I'm already aware that scrubbing in offers the potential for all kinds of problems too.

Thanks!
    Rob

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Check out the accessories area.  Wife carries a fair amont in a PDA case and we have posted pics of different sizes and styles.  While we may or may not carry a lot in a hospital setting, iff'in we ever did (and I'd never admit to it) it would always be on the Patient side.

Like, maybe here:
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1207106482

But depending on what kind of doc you are (what you will be doing, wearing and how many times you will change throughout the day) I would highly suggest a www.smartcarry.com for you. It would be great with scrubs and is about the only part of you that you won't bump into patients as you lean over their beds.

-Scott

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    You better check your state CCW laws, "Medical services facilities" could be off limits

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    How arcane. Bummer that some people have to live under such oppression. >:( Thanks for the reminder JFB.

Around here the only place that it is illegal to carry in a medical facility is the Veterans Hospital as it is a federal facility. Some other private hospitals have no carry signs but they can only ask you to leave with those. And the state hospitals by statute have to allow you to carry there with a CCW!

-Scott

5. robbiedaman

robbiedaman New Member

May 26, 2008
    Hospital seems ok in VA, unfortunately this particular hospital is attached to a university. Seems like it'll have to hide in the car. There's probably some ambiguity between school and university, but I'd rather not have a date with a gentleman in a black robe and 12 of my peers.

Thanks for the rest of the help though.
    Happy and safe shooting,
    Rob

Where Unlawful to Carry (as per VA state police -- http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm)

§18.2-308 (J.3.): No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.

§18.2-308 (O.): Private property when prohibited by the owner of the property, or where posted as prohibited.

§18.2-283: To a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place, without good and sufficient reason.

§18.2-283.1: Courthouse.

§18.2-308.1: School property. Exemptions to this statute include a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school.

§18.2-287.01: Carrying weapon in air carrier airport terminal.

6. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Yea hospitals are off limits in MO yet the law states it's "not a crime" if you do it. Basically, they have to become aware that you are and then ask you to leave (which you would or face a trespassing charge).

There are these holsters that have a fake pager or phone case on the outside of the belt, but conceal a full size holster IWB. https://www.pagerpal.com/default.asp

7. RandyP

RandyP New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    And just to add yet another layer of confusion -lol- some jurisdictions specify "holster" for legal concealed carry, further reducing the options to avoid any issues with local law enforcement.

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    That's just to encourage those who don't think it important to be safe.  Kind of like seatbelt and...helmet... laws.  

-Scott (bye bye ducking and hiding)

PS - YES, that is how I feel but I am just teasing people, relax!