Holster recommendation

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by kt4me, Jun 9, 2009.

1. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    After nearly five years carrying a P-3AT and collecting a whole bunch of holsters (nemisis, crossbreed, fobus, don hume to name a few), with summer here for everyone (it's always summer in South Florida) a lot of people are moving from jeans to shorts which is the perfect time for front pocket carry.  Most shorts have nice baggy front pockets that are great to slip a P-3AT into (PLEASE DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ELSE IN THAT POCKET), but many pocket holsters print GUN or allow the gun to turn in all directions.  Here is the solution:  the www.pocketholsters.com covertible with wallet backer.

Designed for rear pocket use to look like a wallet (and great for that by the way), this holster works great in looser front pockets.  Flexing the wallet backer away from the holster itself a few time creates a nice area between the backer and the gun.  The holster is carried with the backer OUTWARD so no matter what it will always print wallet.  You can even slide your hand between the backer and the gun and have you entire grip around the gun and it will be totally invisible from the outside.   Someone wants your money?  You can even show them ... here is my wallet see?  I am going to get it out nice and slowly, then slowly slide your hand over the gun and begin to move the entire holster upward, as the bad guy relaxes a bit (you are obviously getting him his money) now make a quick draw-point-fire move ... end of threat.

I am not selling this holster and do not represent them, simply put I own three of them for three different guns and can just highly recommend them for this purpose.

Have a safe summer!

2. Rogereh

Rogereh New Member

May 22, 2009
    For $12 you can't beat an Uncle Mike's size 1 pocket holster. The gun comes out and the holster doesn't (and no pocket print...).

3. jlwman

jlwman New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    I really like the holsters listed at the site mentioned above, but I have a hard time paying $50 plus shipping for a pocket holster.  I picked up a Don Hume leather pocket holster yesterday and couldn't hardly justify the shop's $31 price tag.  A DeSantis Nemisis cost around $10 and holds the gun in my pocket just as well.

Now, that being said, when I buy a lazer for my gun, I may end up getting one of the pocket holsters listed on that site.

4. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I've had one of the Guru's holsters for about a year. It's worth ever penny. You really get two holsters---one for the front pocket and one for the back pocket. Now all my deacons have one was well. I let them carry their P3ATs and LCPs in it for a week each. They were sold after two days.

5. jnn7404

jnn7404 New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I use the Uncle Mikes pocket holster and I just ordered a fobus. My friend has the Ruger fobus for his lcp. I like the way it's made and how it works.

Has anyone tried " Thunder Wear " ? My friend bought one at the Dixie Dear Classic Gun Show. It is pretty cool it goes over your underwear and behind your pants. It does a great job because most guy's don't look at other guys junk and your gun,clips, and credit cards/cash is in a great hiding place. And easily reachable. The salesman had a full sized 9mm and I never knew it. I also do not sell or know anyone personally who sells these. Check em out here http://thunderwear.com/

6. KD_Holsters

KD_Holsters New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    There are times that the saying, "You get what you pay for," rings true. A finely crafted holster is worth every penny. There are some vast differences between a Don Hume and some of the other leathercrafted holsters available. Take a look at PCS Holsters or Matt Del Fatti holsters. Priced higher than a Don Hume, but extraordinarly better quality and function. The pricing covers a great deal of the detail put into each holster.

That being said, there are a great number of people who find the Don Hume holsters to be more than satisfactory for them, both in fit and function. And that's all that really matters.

7. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
  8. Youngblood

Youngblood Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
  9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    As usual, Kevin is being very modest.  In that particular design, you absolutely cannot beat the  K&D Pocket Defender Convertable 2-in-1 , often copied - seldom equaled.  They may take a while to make but good things come to those who wait.

The Uncle Mike's?  IMHO, about all they are good for is a temporary solution while you wait for a real holster.  In time, they will resemble and function like an old sock - BTDT.  You only pay for quality once.  ;)

10. Youngblood

Youngblood Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Quite frankly, I have been surprised by how well the Uncle Mike's has held up.  I took the pic after it had been in the back pocket of my Levis for about a year ... but after originally receiving & inspecting it, I realized that it is, indeed, a temporary item ...

... unlike the premium-leather pancake holster that I bought for my PPK/s from Roy's Leather Goods (of Magnolia, Arkansas, according the to stamp on the back) in ~1976.

I have no idea how many "miles" I've put on that pup, but it is still in great shape.

11. Celtic_Warrior

Celtic_Warrior New Member

Feb 15, 2009
  12. fatman

fatman New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I agree with TxCajun that KD_Holsters provides top quality at a reasonable price. My KD holsters wear like iron and have been in every respect completely satisfactory.

13. Rogereh

Rogereh New Member

May 22, 2009
    I like the analogy of an Uncle Mike's pocket holster to a pair of socks. Like an old pair of socks you can just throw away your UM holster if it wears out and replace it for another for $10-$12. For the $50 for the leather holster I can throw 3 away and still have a brand new one, although I can't really fathom wearing out 3-4 of them in my life time. In the meantime I have a very comfortable package in my right front pocket that so far no one even knows is there. The P3 pulls out of it like I don't even have a holster in my pocket and it molds to the contour of my leg where the gun isn't, which my leather holsters don't. And yes, I have the expensive leather and Kydex holsters and I like them a lot but not in my pocket. For IWB and OWB carry I wouldn't consider an Uncle Mikes or any other holster made from that material but for in the front pocket I'll take that old comfortable pair of socks instead of a boot. Just my humble opinion. Yours may vary.
    ~Roger~

14. Swissyankee

Swissyankee New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    I got my Fobus paddle today and it works fine.  I did some walking, riding my bicycle with no problem with concealment plus it was pretty comfortable too. . It has a retention screw which I like a lot. Here's a few pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Here's what I use...Both guns have Armalasers. I have the same style holster for front pocket carry for my P3AT, as well as my wallet holster.

Wallet holster
    [​IMG]

Front pocket carry
    [​IMG]
    tr

16. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Just purchased an inside pants pocket holster on ebay from the holsterman. It came today and I am very impressed. The outside has a suede strip to keep the holster secure and the inside has a soft lining. I tried it and the holster remains in the pocket everytime. don't know about durabilty yet. Thought I would share this with you. The link is below.  $14.95 and free shipping !!!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/POCKET-HOLSTER-...66:2|39:1|72:1205|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

I can't figure out how to insert a picture ?  :-[

17. Haku

Haku New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Texas