Holster for running or other vigerous activites?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mrmex, Jul 22, 2008.

1. mrmex

mrmex New Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Need help here guys, in need new holster with some odd requirements. I run a lot and now that it's 100 degrees I do run at night mostly. I also carry my p3at mostly in the summer with just a very casual shorts and t-shirt or similar. Lots of times i wear shorts without belt loops and pocket holster won't work.

What i want is a hip holster that is going to be strong enough to retain the gun while running. It also needs to be able to be worn without a belt. I think if the clip is strong and the gun being so light, only some good retention is needed....

TIA guys ;D

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Re: Holster for running or other vigerous activite

First thing that comes to mind is a fanny pack or a cell phone case conversion. One of those fully enclosed cases about the size of a blackberry or some other PDA type device should do.

3. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007

I'd recommend looking at "smartcarry", and clip a small flashlight and pepper spray on your shorts to deal with pests (you'll get hauled off to jail for shooting a dog). Lots of P3AT owners use them for one - or even 2 jogging companions. The "standard" is more comfortable than the "Security V" because it doesn't have the extra thickness of the rear "security pocket". This is the one I use at the gym (small security V in white, 1-gun with spare mag model)...
    http://www.smartcarry.com/security.htm#v

4. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007

Bellyband. There are several brands with different locations to put your gun. Google "bellyband holster" and you will see a lot to choose from. I think the one by ACE is the cheapest and most common.

5. mrmex

mrmex New Member

Dec 23, 2005

Those are good ideas that i might get later but id like to try a hip holster first...any of those?

6. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX

Don't know what to tell you there ... casual shorts and a sweaty t-shirt ...

Get a paddle or a simple leather IWB with a clip and give it a whirl, may work, may end up with your shorts around your ankles.

7. mrmex

mrmex New Member

Dec 23, 2005

Think im just going to give a cheap nylon iwb holster with a thumb break. Most sorts i wear at least have a tie cord so that will give it some tension.

8. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008

What about the belt clip accessory: [​IMG]

This should hold from the belt clip and pressure from waist band.

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Just my experience so YMMV. I don't think you will find any way of securing the weapon to your waistband that works for hard vigerous activities, especially running. No matter what you do you are going to end up with the holster and/or weapon sliding down to your ankles or worse yet, fliping up/over and sliding across the ground. I have never used a belly band but have used the smartcarry and don't believe that it can be beat for what you are talking about. If a CCW'er can only have one holster and wants to be able to carry 24/7 it has to be the smartcarry.

-Scott

10. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma

I've experience in THIS area.  The P3 with the belt clip will not stay put.  While the P11 has enough weight to remain in your waistband under normal activity levels the P3 climbs right out.  The clip is too short & weak to really engage your belt securely & when used on just the material of your pants does not have quite enough spring tension.  Same hold true for the larger P11 clip but it's extra size lets it catch the belt & hold pretty well.

If you are going to be active use a holster.  Or as Scott would say, If you are going to carry use a holster.  IMO if you don't use a holster be prepared to pay extra close attention to whats going on with your gun.

11. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007

wheelguy,

you say "you'll get hauled off to jail for shooting a dog". this interests me as band of dogs running loose is a reason i carry. what are you basing this of? assuming there is a real threat (e.g. the dog is busy chewing you up :) i cant imagine you dont have a right to defend yourself with whatever tools available?

12. indyjoe

indyjoe New Member

Jul 19, 2008

I would recommend engaging just slightly before the chewing starts. But that is just a person preference of mine. ;)

13. poppo

poppo Active Member

Jul 3, 2008

At my CHL class, this subject came up. The instructor showed us a variety of carry options for jogging etc. including the fanny pack. The questions he posed was (1) Can you assume I have a gun in here while jogging? (the answer was yes). (2) Is it concealed? (the answer was yes). The point being it does not matter how obvious it is that you may be carrying, as long as you can't see it (or it's print). And (opinions varied on this) if it looks like you may be carrying, then you are less likely to be a target.

14. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007

That's just how it is in my suburban neighborhood. Any firing of a weapon is likely to presume that the shooter was not justified, and endangered other households in the neighborhood by causing lead to fly.

If the evidence on the scene includes a banger with a mask and a gun, and good independent witnesses to back up your story, then you may not go to jail. However, dogs are considered to be dumb animals that can be dealt with by less than lethal means (pepper spray, for example) in all but very rare circumstances.

On the other hand, your community may be much more understanding when it comes to neighbors firing their weapons in public.

15. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008

Wheelguy,
    It's heard on the news that police will shoot a loose dog that is agressive towards them and in America, aren't we innocent until proven otherwise? Where do you live?

If your attacked, can you defend yourself when the threat is shown or after your assualted and unable to defend yourself?

16. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

The "innocent until proven guilty" is something that most CCWers ought to get out of their mind.  With most weapons related laws the "crime" is something that we are often guilty of but have an affirmative defense or "an excuse."  

Examples from here in Oregon:
    It's illegal to carry a concealed weapon.
    It's illegal to discharge a weapon in most cities.
    It's illegal to hurt an animal (or a person) with a weapon...

It is then an affirmative defense that you have a permit, or were in reasonable fear of your life, etc.  

What that means is that you are most likely guilty of the underlying crime but the burden rests on you to prove the excuse.  A DRASTIC change from "innocent until proven guilty"  It is now "guilty but with an excuse" and you better hope your excuse is good enough.

-Scott

17. bpd371

bpd371 New Member

Jun 27, 2008

I recomend a 5.11 tactical Holster shirt.
    This goes against some of your initial requests (thigh holster, etc) But mine works great. It can be a little itchy though...

http://www.511tactical.com/511-holster-shirt-40011.html

18. finz50

finz50 New Member

Mar 2, 2008

+1 on the SmartCarry. I carry my Glock 30 in it and go running 3-5 miles. After a couple of minutes I barely notice it's there. Would even be better with a subcompact for even a small KT.

19. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008

I have only seen photos of a "smartcarry" holster, so bear with me!

It appears to me, from viewing photos, that a gun is just slipped into a cloth pouch.

Without some form of restraint, what keeps the gun from popping out as a person trots along?

Just wondering why a cloth or leather fanny pack, with a zipper, wouldn't be better and much cheaper?

Old Bill

20. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana

The pair of pants or shorts that you are hopefully wearing over it! ;D

I have never had any retention issues with my P-11 in a SmartCarry.