Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to try the Hogue Handall #17000 on the PMR-30. I like that grip on my PLR-16, SUB-2000 carbines, and SU-16.

As expected, it wasn't a very good fit on the PMR-30. The top rear portion of the grip had some loose material. It was almost tolerable after the grip sleeve had a couple of days to conform. The pebbled rubbery texture was nice, and so were the palm swells for people with large hands, but for others I suspect that the PMR-30 grip is so long front to back that any added width would be less comfortable, not more comfortable.

With the nib that protrudes from the bottom front of the grip, removing the Hogue grip without cutting it off was a PIA, as I imagined it would be.

Anticipating the inevitable question, the laser is the Crimson Trace CMR-201, and it works very well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I decided to try the Hogue Handall #17000 on the PMR-30. I like that grip on my PLR-16, SUB-2000 carbines, and SU-16.

As expected, it wasn't a very good fit on the PMR-30. The top rear portion of the grip had some loose material. It was almost tolerable after the grip sleeve had a couple of days to conform. The pebbled rubbery texture was nice, and so were the palm swells for people with large hands, but for others I suspect that the PMR-30 grip is so long front to back that any added width would be less comfortable, not more comfortable.

With the nib that protrudes from the bottom front of the grip, removing the Hogue grip without cutting it off was a PIA, as I imagined it would be.

Anticipating the inevitable question, the laser is the Crimson Trace CMR-201, and it works very well.
I installed it the other way around, worked much better - no loose material at the top.
But I have large hands, so...

·
Super Moderator
9,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I eyeballed it both ways, and the version I showed looked better to me aesthetically, but I did consider that it might function better the other way.

I don't think I'll try it the other way! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Medium hand guy here... I was thinking about a grip sleeve and appreciate the info. I agree with the comment in reference to the grips length front to rear, but what I give up there I would be gaining with rubberized texture. As mentioned before, for under 10 bucks it would be worth a try.

Thanks,
Jim Proud PMR-30 Owner

·
Registered
428 Posts
I put some Hogue grips on mine off my Glock. Tore two of them before I bolied and microwave them to get them on. There was some slop in mine. I stuffed some cotton up in mine to take it out and I like it. Shoots perfect...

·
Super Moderator
9,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What holster do you use with the cmr-201?
I don't have a holster for the PMR-30 with the laser. I don't carry the PMR-30. I use it for plinking, and my wife wants to use it for home defense to replace her 38. She has a hard time pulling the very stiff trigger and her accuracy suffers. She likes the PMR-30. Not only the reasonable trigger pull and the low recoil, but also the light recoil spring. She doesn't have the hand strength to rack the slide on most handguns.

The PM9 that I pocket carry has a Crimson Trace laser too. I carry it in a Desantis Nemesis holster, with a few stitches pulled so the holster will open enough to accept the laser. It works very well. A loose fitting nylon holster made for a Glock might work for the PMR-30, or it might work after a little modification.

I should make a molded Kydex holster for the PMR-30 with the laser. I got Shark Tec to make a nice molded Kydex IWB holster for my PM9 at a gun show, so I could open carry it, then I added the laser and the holster doesn't fit anymore. :(

I can't carry the PMR-30 with the laser in the original Kel-Tec plastic case (which is quite nice!) because it no longer fits, and I don't think I want to hack up the case so it'll accommodate the laser. So I now carry the PMR-30 in my 17" notebook computer carrying case, along with a PLR-16, two SUB-2000 carbines, and lots of magazines for all of the guns. You should see the looks I get at the range when all of those toys come out of that little innocuous urban camouflage carrying bag. :eek:

·
Registered
679 Posts
I put one on mine form the start... I have bigger hands and like the feel. Its length is comparable with my G20, but not the width. The hand all helps and I like the feel too.

I did trim it a little as I found the mag popped a couple times and figured it was the rubber. Since trimming no more problems.

CW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts