HIVIZ for P-3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mtheo51, Apr 14, 2007.

1. mtheo51

mtheo51 Member

Jul 17, 2005
    From Walmart:  
    HIVIZ FL2005R front shotgun sight $10  
    Folk Art Paint 2241 apple orchard $1.50 (in craft detpt. not toys) 
    From Autozone:  
    The Right Stuff Gasket Maker (Permatex) about $8 to $15 depending on tube or container size. 

The screw attachment tab needs to be removed from the HIVIZ sight (file.) Lightly sand the black paint from the bottom of the HIVIZ sight.  Clean the attachment surfaces w/ isopropyl alcohol. Put a small gobbet of Right Stuff on the bottom of the sight then carefully place it behind the P-3AT sight. Don't worry about a small amount squeezing out from the join.  Carefully position the sight.  Let the adhesive cure for about an hour then carefully remove the excess Right stuff w/ a sharp fingernail.  Let it cure for another 30 minutes then dress it up w/ a soft bristled toothbrush.  If you goober it , just pry off the sight w/ a sharp piece of plastic, clean the adhesive off w/ mineral spirits or acetone and start over.  

The green paint should be obvious.  

The Right Stuff is heat resistant, oil resistant and flexible. The flexiblity compensates for differing coeficients of thermal expansion and resists shock both of which could break the bond.  

Some gun solvents may attack the hiviz plastic light bar and/or the adhesive.  CLP doesn't seem to bother either.

ANSWERS TO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

*No it doesn't snag in the pocket or holster.  

*The Armalaser is for darkness.  The HIVIZ greatly speeds up front sight acquisition in all other lighting situations.

*Technically the higher position of the HIVIZ would tend to make the point of impact lower. Shooting at silhouettes at fifty feet and under makes it a non-issue.

*The adhesive is intended to be used as a gasket material for oil pans and valve covers and rated at a temperature of 450°F.  I installed this front sight in September of 2006.  I have since fired at least 250 rounds through the pistol.  The gun has been exposed to a wide range of temperatures and is generally is carried a minimum of four hours per week.....there is no indication of the adhesive failing.

*Yes I posted this several months ago...just before the server glitch....I think a lot of people missed it.
    *10/28/07 Yes I am modifying this post as follows because I have been catching some flak over the high cost of "the Right Stuff."

The Right Stuff was selected over other very good adhesives for its adhesion , flexibility, resistance to lubricants and heat resistance (450°F.) ....The adhesive of choice needed to tolerate the mechanical shock in the application and the "squirm" of the differing coefficients of thermal expansion of the steel slide and the aluminum sight base.  

While the operation of the P3AT will not heat the slide to 450°F w/ normal usage the thermal cycling over time was of concern. The Right Stuff is designed to not fail due to thermal cycling.

There are probably other adhesives that will work.  I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be fussing w/ this mod when I needed to be using it.    

Some people object to the cost of The Right Stuff. You will find other uses for The Right Stuff beyond just sealing and gluing.  I have made wax carvings and models of parts from Sculpey (synthetic clay) to make impressions in open plaster molds for special grommets and bumpers.  The Right stuff was just pressed into the mold and allowed to cure.  

*7/25/09-History update: This modification was completed 9/06. I carry the gun minimally 4 hours per week in my front right pocket, sport coat pocket or in a ballistic nylon brief. Conservatively 450 rounds have been cycled through the gun since the modification. Additionally the adhesive and sight have been routinely exposed to mineral spirits and Break-Free CLP with no ill affects.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    NICE sight picture!

3. rjhauser

rjhauser New Member

Sep 7, 2004
  4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Thanks for the pics, It really looks great.

5. coyotewallace

coyotewallace New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    I will set mine up this way as well...thanks for the info.

Chuck

6. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    metheo51

Great post.

The only Flour. Green I could find at my local Walmart was in the toy section...Testors Acryl

I guess this will do, although the paint you found might be more durable...what do you think?

Thanks, Boggs51

7. quickmick7

quickmick7 New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    south florida
    now THIS is why this website was started.....AWESOME...

8. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Nice mod, mtheo51

wyo-man

9. mtheo51

mtheo51 Member

Jul 17, 2005
    coyotewallace...........

First paint on sight? 1972, my first airweight bodyguard...wife's pink fingernail polish.

I have tried flourescent paints and also Testor's products in the past....the flourescents always seemed to fade or dissolve w/ gun cleaning products. Testor's even w/ proper surface prep seems to flake off. The craft paint from Walmart is water based and should be oil resistant. So far CLP hasn't affected it. Someday I might find that uber sight paint.

The craft paint from Walmart is easily cleaned off w/ methanol alcohol. Just casually paint the inside of the rear sight well then w/ an alcohol dampened piece of paper towel clean up the edges.

10. mtheo51

mtheo51 Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Boggs51.....

The paint is in the craft dept. not toys. Large assortment of colors......

I really had to resist "panty pink."

11. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Sure. Like we believe that ::)

wyo-man

Although, that might be the best color for contrast........

12. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    I had just about given up on ways to inhance the P-3 sight and was happy with some flour. orange on the front, till you came along with this! So tomorrow, here I go again. Looks good, thanks. 8)

13. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Forgot to ask, how is it in somewhat of a low light or inside the house instead of outside? :-/

14. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Thanks metheo51

My next stop will be the craft department. I tried the Testors and, yes, it does chip off easily.

Boggs51

15. [​IMG]

I looked at those sights before and wondered how it would work....

Nice work mtheo51

16. Antibubba

Antibubba New Member

Jan 10, 2007
  17. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    mtheo51, thanks for showing us you HIVIZ Mod. I just now did mine. It turned out great! I like it! ;D After it sits up for an hour or two I`ll clean up the tiny bit around the join like you said. That dang Right Stuff Gasket Maker was $13.00 at Autozone!!! :eek: But nothing too good for our babys I guess. I also got that apple orchard paint for rear sight but aint put it on yet, I always seem to goof the paint up on that rear sight. There is a lot of people out there that think doing anything to try to inhance the sights on the P-3 is a waist of time and maybe they are right, but it was fun, easy, and did`t cost all that much to do. And my old 56 year old eyes need all the help they can get. 8)

18. coyotewallace

coyotewallace New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    flounder22,
    where did you get the

apple orchard paint for rear sight

and did you get the front site at wal-mart?

19. mtheo51

mtheo51 Member

Jul 17, 2005
    flounder22....low light?

In the house the Armalaser definitely works the best due to the shorter distances and subdued lighting.  The HIVIZ really "shines" outside even in the evenings or in deep shade.  Outside the Armalaser doesn't work well when brush or leaves are between you and what your are trying to zero in on. Black also doesn't reflect the laser spot back very well.

If you don't have an Armalaser The HIVIZ is much much better than that tiny black nub that came on the end of the gun!

I have seen the HIVIZ sight at walmart...I got mine at Gander Montain. The Green paint came from Wally too.

Right stuff comes in small squeeze tubes. The $15 cheeze whiz style cans keep better (they don't dry out.) This is a fantastic fix it product. IF you tinker you will find many uses for it. I have even carved wax molds and filled them w/ Right Stuff to make replacement rubber caps, plugs and bumpers.

20. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Yes, you are right. I don`t have the money for a laser and I guess I was just wondering if it was as good say, inside the house without sun light coming down on it. But like I said, I did mine as you instructed and it turned out great. Big improvement both indoors as well as out. Thanks again for turning us on to this cool idear. 8)