Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across one of these today and picked it up. The grips are a little worn but not too bad and there appears to be almost no holster wear and only a spot or two of surface rust. Photobucket isn't playing nice tonight so pics may take a while.

Does anybody know anything about this gun? It's in very good condition and I got it very cheap.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The High Standard Double Nine was my first new handgun purchased in 1966. I shot it so much I about wore it out in 3 years. DA would not work at times and it finally got where SA was iffy. Think the cylinder rod "wallered" out the hole in the recoil shield (aluminum frame) and caused cylinder to bind. I was rough on it though (too much fast draw:eek:}. I still have it and it still shoots...if I'm patient with it. If DA and SA works OK on yours, it makes a good plinker and I'm sure you won't abuse it like I did mine.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I've seen then around the LGS's through the years, and even handled a couple. Seems pretty well put together. I know the High Standard 1911's are pretty tough and accurate. I don't know much about these, so I'm interested in a range report.

Cy

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
There's a spot on the frame where it has been hit by something but that can be fixed pretty easily.

The barrel is pinned and I think that's the way it is with all High Standard revolvers. They are not very expensive guns.

My target was a paper plate at 15yds and I forgot to take a pic of that before throwing it away. After getting a few good groups I grabbed an old beer can that somebody had left and shot at it out at 20yds. For a beat up old pistol it still shoots good and locks up pretty tight. It almost reminds me of my Ruger SP 101 when I grip it. This is going to make a good field gun once I find a holster for it. Normally I like nylon holsters for this purpose but I might get a leather one just to keep the rustic look going.

·
Registered
263 Posts
There was a whole series of 9 shot .22s from High Standard. My son has a "Double 9". The double action does not work too well any more, as the hand is pretty well worn out. In single action mode it's wicked accurate. The stag look plastic grips were cracked and we glued them about 5 years ago. All in all, its a neat little plinker.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Congrats on your gun. Love them oldies. Wish I could find a decent one myself, but they are scarce around here in decent shape.

I have had like 3 of the "Sentinel" Models which look more like stnadrd DA revolvers. One was a Sears/Higgins 88 made by High Standard, a model R-105, and a Sentinel Snub in nickle with dthe mutha'o pimp grips. Killed a javelina with the R-105 at about 40 yds. It was deadly accurate.

Some say the frames for the western style and the stentinels are similar to the point of being almost alike. Suppose to have grip frames that will fit any receiver for either model, but I have never seen enough of them close enough to tell. The cylinders are all nine shot and look the same as well as the crane assembly. All are DA/SA.

As a grade school kid in the 60s, I watched my uncles shoot one "Double Nine" which is similar to the "Hombre." It was a nice nickle one with the white grips. He got it after he returned from the Korean War. He later promised it to me along with my grandfather's 1917 captured Luger if I got him a vintage Colt Ace .22. Well, that never happened. Think I have only seen 1or 2 in all my years of trading and couldn't afford them.

A little history on the Sentinel model I found, not muchon the western models.
http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Sentinel/sentinel.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Brings back some great memories.......

This was the first handgun I bought. Bought it with my own money when I was 11 years old.

Of course my mom had to go pick it up for me.....:):)

It cost me $28.88 at Sears, on sale. It was stamped with the JC Higgins name.

I killed lots of big-eared jack rabbits with it while mowing hay, or hunting along the river. Used it for years to dispatch *****, fox and bobcat while hunting with hounds. Finally ended up trading it off on a S&W mdl 46, as it was just a tad niftier. Still have the 46, and wish I still had the little 9 shot revolver.

I'm sure you'll love what your little revolver will do, as it's a fine little weapon. Congratulations!!!!

Sweet Chuckie

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Hey Josh,
If that darn thing just dont work right, send it over to this end of the State, attn Phideaux, and Ill relieve you of it.:D

I kinda got my eye out for a good used .22 revolver for the kids.

Probably end up with a Heritage, that is if I dont get a High standard in the mail soon.;)

Good pick up , have fun.

Jim

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know about all that, but you can shoot it any time you want ;).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts