Hey guys..picked up my p3at a few weeks ago.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Pthree80, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Pthree80

Pthree80 New Member

Jan 22, 2011
    [​IMG]

Figured I'd intro with a photo of her since its my first post here (been trolling the forum silently for some time.)

This is my first .380 and CCW...I can barely notice she's by my side.

Put about 350 rounds through it so far without a hiccup (bought it broken in - very lightly used) and I'm loving it.  First time at the range the stock grip had done a number to my right hand after 200 rounds, so i got a $5 rubber grip cover from ebay and shooting it now is a dream. 1st round seems to get hung up some times when cocking the slide, but that only seems to be with HPs or rounds with a flatter nose like the Winny 95 gr FMJ.  The round nosed rounds slip right into the chamber.

Slide's been cera-plated by CCR REFINISHING CO. Paid $199 shipped off GB and it came w 2 6 rnd mags.

What do you guys think, like?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG

3. sr5mike

sr5mike New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Congrats and welcome. There is a lot of good info here.

4. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    +1
    Try sling shotting the slide instead of riding it into battery. These guns are designed to be used that way and it won't them to do it. The slip on grip was a good idea, which you've already figured out.

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome aboard!

Sounds like you're off to a great start with the new to you P3AT.

6. Pthree80

Pthree80 New Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Hey thanks guys... seems like there is a lot of excellent info here for a newb like me. If anybody hits the range around here in South FL... reach out!

Torrent, I noticed that actually, thanks. Slingshotting does help a bit, but still seems to get hung up on various types of ammo, especially if the gun is dirty.

Anyone else have their blued slide cera-plated?

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    FWIW, I have seen some P3ATs that would hang up loading the first round with some JHPs but cycle just fine when firing.  Usually, that is something of a break-in issue that goes away, and/or the user gets better at slingshotting the slide.  Polishing the feedramp won't hurt. In fact, polishing any friction point won't hurt. Proper lube, to include grease on the frame rails and a few other spots is also helpful. With a used gun like yours, some fresh recoil springs would be a good idea.  Call KT service and they'll send you some free.  They may or may not completely cure that initial loading hickup with some JHPs, but I wouldn't worry if the gun is running well.  The finish looks nice and you got a pretty good deal.   :cool:

http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/fullrp.htm

http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm

8. Pthree80

Pthree80 New Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Yes...that is the issue...once its firing, they load themselves fine with no ftf...so I need to replicate the blowbackaction with my manual sling shotting... and will definitely polish at least the feed ramp as that seems like a no brainer.  Thanks, I'll give KT a call for those springs...awesome if they'll really give them out for nothing!

Great links and thanks for the hospitality!   :)