Hey Guys, new here....

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Buckmaster, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Buckmaster

Buckmaster New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Just got the P3AT for Christmas from my wife ;). Now I have applied for my CCW awaiting the arrival in the mail.... Browsing around for a good holster, I like the looks of a front pocket holster for ease of use and all, but new to this game I'm open to any suggestions.

What I'm considering right now is between two holsters,(and I apologize, I'm sure you guys have holster posts every other day) I really like the looks of the Desantis Nemesis BUT I'm thinking of going with the Pocket Pal, for the single fact of an extra mag capability....also cheap.

My question is does the  Pocket Pal have any sort of "friction" material? Will the gun stay upright in pocket? Slip out when I draw? I mostly where semi-snug blue jeans, but when warmer temps arrive, I where loose cargo shorts. I found the Pocket Pal on this site from a post from '07, so I don't know if any of you current guys have used them or not, but I appreciate any input/suggestions.

Thanks.

2. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Hi Buckmaster,
    Welcome to KTOG. either do a search, or just scroll down thru the topics here. There is a lot of holster stuff posted. I'm a fan a "rolling your own" on the holsters, but do what works best for you. You said you wanted the other holster because it held a spare mag. To me it seems that if I was ever in a situation that I needed to get a spare mag, I wouldn't want it in the same pocket as the gun. I'm a righty, and I carry in my back right pocket. My spare is in my front left pocket in a little (homemade) deal that holds a small leatherman, spare mag, and cell phone. If I need that mag, my right hand is going to be holding a gun.

BTW, these bucks that you master, do you use sompfin a little stouter than a p3?

Again, Welcome,
    Lop

3. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Welcome,
    I've been using the Nemisis frt holster for a year now.
    Carry the spare mag. in left frt pocket in an old (little) knife case.

$20 holster at Cabelas. made just for the p3at.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG

5. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I've used the nemesis and I like it. I now usually carry with an in the waist band holster, unkle mikes I think. I agree with the earlier post, that carrying the extra mag on your strong side is not the best of ideas. I personally made a small belt pouch for mine, which is basically the same thing a knife pouch. Having your spare mag in your front pocket on your strong side is going to make for either a VERY awkward reach across with your off hand to get it (which might not even be possible), or having to switch your gun to your off hand, grab the mag with your strong hand, then either have an awkward wrong hand reload, or have to "juggle" the gun and mag back into the proper hands for a traditional change. Considering all that would be going on under more stress than you've probably ever dealt with in your life, I would rather just have the mag on my off side where a reload is as simple as possible.

6. Buckmaster

Buckmaster New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Great advice guys, exactly what I was looking for, Thank you. That makes perfect sense, the pictures of the extra mags in the holster look handy, but now I see it would be irrelevant in a life or death situation.

You guys that carry the p3at as a primary PD pistol, do you usually have an extra mag? God forbid you would ever need more than 7.

7. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    I carry my p3 always, I like to have it as a bug with either a full size 9mm sig, j-frame, or even a .44 mag as primary.
    The p3 and spare mag are just part of the standard pocket stuff.

8. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Hi, I never gave a second thought about not using your strong side. Fantastic thinking ! By the way I never carry a second mag just because of the extra weight and pocket space.(I may regret that someday) I am handicapped when it comes to my legs so running away is not an option. Hope 7 stops the BG. Enjoy your new pistol!

9. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome aboard!

!00 % agreement that your spare mag should be carried weak side.

All I've every carried my P3ATs in have been Nemasis holsters. Nice holster but does add a bit of thickness to the overall package and for that reason may someday try a thin Kydex pocket holster.

Like already mentioned Nemasis can be used AIWB. I've done it often when only carrying my P3AT and going into say a restuarant (sp?) where I'd be sitting for awhile - much easier to get to the gun when seated.

Just reread your post before submitting mine, is the holster for you or for your wife? Might make a difference in what you should consider.

Good luck...

10. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Welcome, great to have you here.

The thinking is not that 7 won't do the job, but that most failures in semi-autos are often related to a magazine problem.

If you get into a bad situation and the mag goes bad, you pop it out, smack in a new one and rack the slide.

I typically find that if I remove the rat's nest of pocket lint, I gain enough extra room for my spare mag. ;)