Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i am new to this website and new to kel tec i just got one a pf9 not long ago for 300 at a local gun store and just after 50 rounds i been get fte and miss fires the rest of the 50 rounds and been trying new ammo but still the same thing and i was wounding how you could tell if you have a newer model or older one by looking at the serial number mine starts with s38 he did not give me a bill of sale or anything showing i am the owner so i do not really want to send it in unless i have cause i do not want to pay for it i am going back up there to try to get it for it any ideas would help alot thanks

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Normally, PF-9s don't stay on the shelves very long, so if you got it through a gun shop, it was probably made no more than 2 Months prior to your purchase.

The PF-9 serial numbers just went from 'R' as the 1st letter to 'S' in the last Quarter of 2011 (IIRC).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have you tried more than 1 type ammo?

I bought my PF-9 new just 2 or 3 weeks ago and its number is S78## if that helps. I just finished putting 200 rounds through it and had 4 failures to load during the break-in. They were all with the same box of ammunition.

·
Registered
718 Posts
50 rounds is not much. Check the screw holding the spring on the extractor and make sure it is tight. The allen wrench in the box for the rear sight fits that screw. Also make sure you are using grease on the rails and inside the hood and sides of the slide. During break in it will help to pull the gun apart every 50 and wipe down the rails and add a little grease. Lubrication is key to these little guns. We tell new owners to fire at least 200 rounds to break the pistols in and to expect a few failures along the way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since my post i have fired over a 100 rounds about 250 and still getting failed to feed and even miss fires too

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fired about 250 rounds and going get some more diffrent ammo just to see if it was the ammo i dont think it was though cause cause my friend owns a gun shop where i got it at and never had any trouble with a kel tec pf9 before reason y i got it so thats y i asked the ? Maybe i have a older modle but that dont seem like the case so im not sure why im getting so many miss fires and failed to ejects

·
Registered
427 Posts
When I break in my new guns, I always get a variety of ammo. For example, for my Subbie I used Remington UMC, PMC Bronze, Federal, and CCI Blazer Brass. That way, I can eliminate just ammo being the cause. I can also find which one works better or if they all do. I'll usually load up different mags and shoot all the brands in one trip. And take notes...

·
Registered
718 Posts
How many rounds have you fired between cleaning the gun? Buildup of carbon and burnt powder happens very quickly in these small guns. Have you cleaned out the firing pin chamber? Light strikes will happen when the firing pin chamber gets full of crap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cleaned it after i fired about 100 to 150 rounds had it less then a month and fired less then 300 rounds out of it just got some ammo and was shooting it and the fireing pen blew out of the back of it and the guy i got it off of wont do anything about it i will never buy from him again sucks cause i liked that little gun and he never gave me any paper work on it and and i could buy a new gun for what it costs to fix it after already paying 300 for it

·
Registered
105 Posts
Did you check the screw holding the extractor spring as rebootit suggested? That screw also retains the firing pin. If you were having extraction problems and your firing pin fell out it is very likely that screw was loose.

If you still have all of the parts you can easily put the firing pin back in. Use blue loctite on the extractor screw.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The screw is still tight everything looks fine exept the fireing pen blew out the back of it and hit me in the chest after i fired it

·
Registered
718 Posts
The screw is still tight everything looks fine exept the fireing pen blew out the back of it and hit me in the chest after i fired it
Unless the firing pin broke in half it would be impossible for it come out of the gun if that screw is fully set. Is this a new gun? If not it is possible somebody switched the rear sight screw and the extractor screw when they tore the gun apart. Otherwise the extractor screw fits into the groove on the pin and holds it in place.
It is possible I guess for someone to have cross threaded the screw and while it feels tight it is not seated like it should be.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Also Keltec will send you the parts for free. All you have to do is call them. And the dealer is required to either give you a bill of sale and a copy of the 4473 if you request it. Either is proof you bought the gun as the first time owner. S3 serial numbers are new production so I doubt Keltec will even question it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got proof im the owner and im going to call kel tec and keep everyone posted it was supposed to be a new gun but when went today the guy who sold it to me said he may have bought it off someone so not sure

1 - 20 of 25 Posts