Hey DaveNC

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by subsonix, Jul 22, 2009.

1. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    I'm posting here in case anyone else can answer my question as well.

The metal mag release showed up today.  Fitting to the grip was easy, but the mag does not quite catch when fully inserted.  I am looking for advice on how to fix this.  My thought was to sand down the bottom of the grip a tiny amount.  I am worried this could cause problems up top if the mag is too close to the slide.  So, should I sand on the catch or the grip?  

Thanks
    Dylan

edit:

I also have a +1 on the mag. File it down instead?

2. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008

hey,

while you're waiting on DaveNC to respond, have you tried a mag without the +1 extension? i had the exact same problem with my metal catch. i filed down the top of the +1 mag extension base - right where it meets the grip of the gun. after plenty of careful filing on the +1, it works great now. the catch works even better with mags that have no extensions. dave's catches are definitely worth the $$ and effort.

3. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    Thanks kbizzle, I figured it out already. I suspected the +1 was causing the problem and it was.

I didn't have another mag and couldn't find my stock base so I took a chance.

I ended up filing down the +1 and it works great now!

Thanks a million Dave!!

Everyone that owns a katie should have one of these. Worth every penny! Thanks so much for allowing me to be able to trust this gun again. I wasn't going to be happy with another plastic one from KT. A magazine flying out on its own isn't very confidence inspiring.  :eek:

4. DaveNC

DaveNC Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I just sent you a PM with the same suggestion ;D I test fit every release in a extra grip I purchased with a standard mag to make sure they fit. I was pretty sure you had the plus one extensions which appear to have different tolerances then the standard mag. Anyway glad it worked out for you and your happy. A lot of work goes into making them little suckers.

5. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    Dave, What can I do to stop the rust on my steel mag catch?

6. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    I would use a paste type car/floor wax or spray it with polyurathane. Another option would be nickel plating.

7. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    pedro, i'm having the same issue. just had to take out the catch last night to remove the rust. i put some perma blue on it and i'm hopeful that will help.

8. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    I think he is wanting to keep it silver colored.

Another option would be to just order another one in stainless and put yours up for sale in the trading post.

9. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    Yes, I'd prefer to keep it shiny, My P3AT is the hard chrome model so the steel mag catch looks right at home, except for the rust that is. :(

10. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    I had the exact same problem, used some 600 grit sand paper on a flat surface and sanded the top of the +1 until it worked.

11. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I've also experienced a bit of trouble seating a magazine with the +1 extension. I just give it a good smack and it seats. Any problems continuing to do this? I've got +1's on all my 3AT mags

12. oak1971

oak1971 New Member

Jul 23, 2009

Pardon my ignorance, but where do you get them from. I am a new P3at owner and new to the forum. Thanks.

13. DaveNC

DaveNC Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
    It shouldn't cause any problems but you can alleviate it by doing what the other guys did with their extensions. Just sand the top of the extension where it meets the grip until you don't have to smack it to get it to seat.

14. DaveNC

DaveNC Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Unfortunately cold rolled steel will rust unless you keep it oiled really well. You would have to oil it every time the oil got wiped off to keep rust off of it. Blueing helps but you still need to keep the blueing oiled as well or it will rust. My blued releases are cold blued using birchwood casey blueing paste(perma blue stuff). Mine shiney release was doing the same thing until I went to the stainless steel. I just forgot to keep it oiled regularly. You can try Johnson paste wax and see if it helps though.

15. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009

Welcome!

You can buy them in the trading post. You cannot access it yet since you are new here. It's a good idea to read the forum rules when visiting any new forum since they are all different and have different rules. The trading post is explained there.

To answer your question, you get them from my newest hero DaveNC. Just one of the many great, friendly, knowledgeable, and talented people here at KTOG.

16. oak1971

oak1971 New Member

Jul 23, 2009
  17. musicman0766

musicman0766 New Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Do these metal mag catches solve the problem that the plastic ones have of wearing out?

18. 16again

16again New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Yes, have them on both my P-3AT's