Herter's ammo??

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Guambodian, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Anybody ever hear of or more importantly use Herter's ammo? Cabela's has a deal with 500 rnds for about $150. I'm considering it, but would like to "look before I leap" so to speak. The deal seems good but I've never heard of "Indonesian made" ammo. Also, these would be range fodder for break in and practice, not for carry (unless of course they are up to snuff). Thanks in advance.

2. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    There was a post on this site regarding the Herter's 380 ammo within the last 30 days or so. Check it out

3. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    I searched prior to starting this thread and only found one off hand reference in which 100 rounds were fired with 3 failures. I was hoping to tap into the wealth of knowledgable folk here so as to hopefully get a clearer picture of this brand's worth/ value/ reliability etc. I'm worried about having problems and attributing them to my gun when they might be caused by the ammo. I'm trying to weight risk vs reward before buying. Thanks.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Herter's is steel-cased ammo and not recommended in these light weight pistols. I would stick with decent quality brass-cased ammo.

5. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I agree.

Have you seen the barrel of the P3AT ? I wouldn't take a chance on having an accidental heavy load.

I know it i s not always easy, but:

BUY AMERICAN

6. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Thanks guys. My spider sense was tingling. American Brass it is.

7. pcbrewer

pcbrewer New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Hello all, I just purchased this from Cabela's. According to the description it is brass. When it comes in I will post back and let everyone know how it works in my P3AT. Here is the full description from the web site:

Our globe-traveling search for quality, affordable ammunition led us to Herter's. This accurate and dependable Indonesian made ammo is loaded with brass cases, berdan primers, non-corrosive powders and is topped with a 95gr. FMJ bullet. 500 rounds.

8. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Do you have a link for that Herters Brass cased stuff.

Here is what I find at Cabelas and it is most definately steel cased.  You can see that on the box plus in the product descriptions.

Herter's ammo is the successful result of a worldwide quest for quality, value-priced ammunition. This accurate, dependable, Russian-made ammo is loaded by a company with over 125 years of manufacturing experience. Noncorrosive polymer-coated steel cases ensure smooth feeding. 91-grain FMJ bullets.
    http://www.cabelas.com/p-0074336217260a.shtml

Here is there Herter's selection in other calibers.  As you can see, it is all steel-cased.
    http://www.cabelas.com/herters-ammunition.shtml

[edit]WAIT! I found it. This must be new stuff. They do have some brass-cased 380 at $150 for 500 rounds. At $15 per 100, that's a deal these days. How bad can it be? :cool:
    http://www.cabelas.com/p-0077402217240a.shtml[/edit]

9. pcbrewer

pcbrewer New Member

Nov 24, 2009
  10. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    500 rounds at $149.99 + $14.95 shipping and $13.40 TAX = $178.34 or $17.83 per 50 rounds.  At this price, ordered!  :cool:  

Estimated delivery by Friday, 01/08/10

[edit] Keep reading - it got even cheaper as there was a $20 off coupon too. :cool:[/edit]

11. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    I guess it's Ok as range fodder then, just make sure to get the brass. If you guys get yours and test fire, will you update pls.

12. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Picked up some at the local Cabelas. It is ok range ammo. It shoots about the same as the Winchester white box from Wal-Mart.

13. angel71rs

angel71rs Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I was wondering if this stuff was excessively dirty, hard primers, etc. Couldn't find any info on it, yours is the first report on Herters brass ammo I've seen. Only other report was the steel russian Herters, said it was dirty, caused "hiccup" in a Bersa. Thanks for the 1st hand info.

14. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    The primers aren't that hard. It is about the same as the cheap white box win from wal-mart as far as being dirty, it's cheap range ammo. Fired about 60 rounds without any problems. For the price I'm happy with it.

15. Guambodian

Guambodian New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Thanks Sprinter, that's what I was looking for. WWB shoots well enough in my pistol so hopefully this does as well.

16. angel71rs

angel71rs Member

Oct 21, 2009
    They have promo for $20 off order >$100, enter your email and they send you a rebate # and Bucks code. Applied it right under where it says order total; "redeem rebate" took the $20 off, covered shipping and part of tax. So my total was $158.55. Lot better than the 20 for 50 rds I was paying at Academy for WWB.

17. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    WOW! Thanks for posting, I had not seen the $20 discount. I got the code and called Cabela's CS. They are issuing a $20 credit to my credit card. That indeed makes this quite a deal on 380 range ammo. 500 rounds will last me a while. :cool:

18. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    They have promo for $20 off order >$100, enter your email and they send you a rebate # and Bucks code. Applied it right under where it says order total; "redeem rebate" took the $20 off, covered shipping and part of tax. So my total was $158.55. Lot better than the 20 for 50 rds I was paying at Academy for WWB.

[/quote]
    Wow! $15.86 per box of 50! That's better than anything I've seen in a year. I wish I weren't broke.

19. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I forgot to mention that they also had a 20.00 off in store coupon that I was able to use and since they had the ammo at the store I didn't have any shipping costs :) I may try to get more this weekend.

20. cactus_jack

cactus_jack New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    The Herter's steel cased ammo is made in Russia and the Herter's brass cased ammo is made in Indonesia.

Two completely different manufacturers.

If it's as good as Walmart's Winchester ammo I'll be happy.