herter's .380

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Wlfman40, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Wlfman40

Wlfman40 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Has anyone ever heard of or tried herter's ammo. Cabela's has some in stock $179 for 500rnds, says its russian made but if it works for target rounds I'm all for it, my neck of the woods still hard to come by any .380 under $40 for box of 50 and I won't spend that

2. Seanp11

Seanp11 New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Never heard of that bran. $40.00 for a box of 50 is really high. Is that for FMJ ? Where i'm localed in VA at the local gun shop its 19.00 for PPU and most other brass FMJ. I just placed an order from Georgia Fire Arms for some 9mm and asked about 380 rnds. They said their waiting for a shipment of brass. Maybe around late Nov. Dec. hopefuly. I guess 19.00 doesn't sound so bad know. Maybe check out gunbrokers.com

3. Wlfman40

Wlfman40 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Yeah unfortunately there have been some unscrupulous people raising the prices realy high. In southern az, and for thay they will never get my business, so tryin to find target rounds at decent prices. Some of the lgs here are startin to get rounds filtering in. 1 shop has 95gr fmj fiocchi for $21.99 limit one box and I have some orders on back orders with places like midway

4. reitman

reitman New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I just got my shipment of 500 Herters rounds from Cabelas today. If the gunshop I bought my P3AT from on GB ever ships my gun to my FFL, I'll let you know how the ammo is.

5. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I don't know anything about the herter's but Russian scares me. All I can think of is Wolf ammo. If it's anything like that, run away fast.

6. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Seems somebody is playing on the old Herters company's good name.

The only problem is, they went out of business about 30+ years ago.
    Back then Herters had their ammo made by Norma and it was indeed very good stuff.

This new ammo however sounds like a mis-named Russian steel case of some kind.

BTW: I just got a new Cheaper Then Dirt catalog yesterday and they list S&B .380 ammo at $34.97 a box!!
    Yikes! Talk about price gouging!

I was buying it at Cabala's for $6.99 two years ago.

rc

7. JB

JB Guest

Weren't they asking something like $50 or $60 a box for Magtech .380 at one time? I guess they consider $34.97 to be a deal. Personally, I've seen dirt a lot cheaper than that.

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    It is and it's clearly labeled...  
     :(

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0074336217260a.shtml

9. Wlfman40

Wlfman40 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    I know I have read here that the steel cases can wear the gun, but will a couple hundred rounds to break it in hurt it. Especially seeing that the 1st hundred I put through my gun were expensive and they led to me sending the gun back anyway

10. KelTex78

KelTex78 New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Weren't they asking something like $50 or $60 a box for Magtech .380 at one time?  I guess they consider $34.97 to be a deal.  Personally, I've seen dirt a lot cheaper than that.
    [/quote]

It was Blazer aluminum cased .380 FMJ for $70/box of 50 earlier this year. I stopped buying from Cheaper Than Dirt when I saw that. Now I just throw their catalogs in the trash when they come in the mail. I also sent them a note letting them know that they lost a customer for good because of their price gouging.

11. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    IMHO, steel-cased ammo designed for heavy duty comblock guns is a bad pick for an absolute featherwieght pistol like the Kel-tecs.  In conservative use, it probably won't ruin your gun but I would not expect normal function and reliability with that ammo. Nor would I make a habit of shooting it. :-/

12. reitman

reitman New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Would you suggest that I use some other sort of ammo for my first rounds through my new gun?

One shop has Fiochi (sp) for $20/50 rounds.

I have 250 Herters rounds, but want everything to run smoothly with this gun.

13. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    That's normally a good choice for KT's. Just remember some are pickier than others.

CJ

14. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Personally, yes, I'd break it in with the Fiocchi.  
    That's good stuff and these days, that is a very good price.  :cool:

15. reitman

reitman New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Just got back from the range with my Herters.

It didn't do badly at all in my P3AT. I had 3 FTE, but no FTFs. My buddy shot his LCP and had several FTEs and several FTFs. I think his FTFs were from a shoddy cleaning job on his gun. I looked at it and it was gunky around where the firing pin comes out. I cleaned it for him and he had no more FTFs.

Ammo was pretty dirty and shot a flame out the barrel, but other than that, I can't complain about the quality of the ammo for the price. It certainly isn't my first choice, but until prices come down, I'm going to use it. I plan on mixing in some brass ammo with it though.